ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

PD and backup units.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: PD and backup units. Reply with quote Back to top

Having found no information about it anywhere else, I've decided to ask here.

I just can't get Perfect Dark to run using my Doctor 64 - there's no documentation about why it shouldn't, and I've even the origional ROM.

Just a serious screwball. Any ideas welcome.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never used a backup device before, and don't have a lot of knowledge in the department, so this may be a silly question: does your Doctor 64 have enough memory to run a ROM that size? I know that some of them won't run larger games, such as PD and Resident Evil 2. I'm not sure though, in this case.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: PD and backup units. Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a backup unit myself, but, if you tell us whether you have a normal doctor or a doctor jr, and what exact procedure you are trying to boot the game, I'll probably be able to tell you where's the problem and suggest a possible solution.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Usually you need to boot with the same game CIC, so a PD or Zelda ROM as boot. I'll try my backup devices this weekend and see if they need anything special.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a standard Dr64 (not the junor). I've never tried booting RE2 - I've never wanted to but you could have a point Wreck.

Basically it loads into memory but won't start when the machine is switched on (as usual). Plus I'm using the PD cart. I've not really struck this with anything before but wondered if it needed a patch similar to Jet Force Gemini. Couldn't find anything out there on it.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD should fit into a 256mbit doctor. Most Doctors are 128mbit out of the factory, I think, but you can buy extra memory for it, and upgrade it to 256mbit.
RE2 is 512mbit, and there's only one BU that has so much, the 512mbit version of the DrV64 Jr (even many licensed developpers had to use these, because official hardware did not offer so much or was prohibitively expensive xD)

Not sure how to help you. Tried any bootemulators?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got busy and travelled last weekend, if I remember will try this weekend now.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... Three things come to mind:
1) It isn't byteswapped properly. Sr. requires a byteswapped file, correct?
2) The checksum is invalid. Make sure it is set for the Zelda CIC, not the Mario one. Older utilities that didn't detect CIC stamps always presumed Mario.
3) Some sort of transfer issue, which I can't really help with.

You can always try asking around at Dextrose.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I finally got to try it on a Dr V64. Make sure PD is your boot game. I was able to run one of PD conversions (I think Zoinkity's both multi patch) perfectly and delightfully fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: