ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Difficult Large Clipping Questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Difficult Large Clipping Questions. Reply with quote Back to top

i have some Questions about clipping

I made a very simple cube, to test clipping. I exported the cube as an obj. file, and load it in the editor. And in clipping editor i choosed "Import Clipping from obj. File".

Then the whole cube is clipped, but ingame, i can walk out of the clip.
How is the whole level clipped?

Or when i make a room, and just clipp the ground, i can walk throgh´the walls.

I tried do export the ground as an "Solid" File, and i tried to make much space between the walls and the ground. And i imported the clip of the ground from an obj. file. When i klick on "ClippingON" in the editor, only the ground is clipped. And i can only insert Probs or Present in the clipped ground. But ingame i can walk everywhere. I can walk throgh the walls. How i said i can walk trogh everything.

And why is that so ? Normally i should only be able to walk on the clipped File ?

The same thing i noticed in my Cradle level is, that when i import the clipping of the cradle and the ground, that it looks like the original clip, but i can not walk everywhere in the level. I can only walk some meters, and then i can not walk. It seems that the clip is ending hear, but in the Editor the whole Cradle ( only the ground where you can walk ) is clipped.

It is very confiused. I don´t know what that should be or why i can walk everywhere, or in Cradle only can walk on some parts from Cradle.
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For Cradle you likely want to just right click on tris and make clipping - reimporting the clipping may lead to many issues due to possibly bad connections that Rare had right

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got time to write a clipping tutorial subdrag? Very Happy I mean I'll probably figure it out eventually on my own but that could take years haha since it took me a few months to get a single map compiled correctly

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe in 2 weekends or possibly Sunday. We need to get one out

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm...i could do a basic one at school.

i was also thinking of looking into one way clipping tiles. Is there any way to manually adjust what other clipping tiles a tile connects to?

Would you like pictures or would all text be fine?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's probably best to model it after my tutorials (with pictures step by step). You can manually link tiles if you right click on them.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pictures are usually helpful, especially for visual learners like me. Plus it never hurts to do a little extra

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ha great that you make a Tutorial Subdrag. They help very much.
Ha i hope it will be reales as soon as possible.

Clipping is a tricky one, or ? It´s very difficult.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Posted, hope it helps! Also see stairwell tutorial after.

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=180

I don't think anyone appreciates how amazing the Stan Convert and Redo Clipping Connections are...very complicated, took many months and much effort and frustration.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that was fast haha I was expecting it to take longer. I'm checking it out right now.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ha yes i exspect it it too.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Stan Convert is a beautiful creation, Sub.
Without it... Shocked

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

monkeyface

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hah, I still don't understand it. It makes sure that the clipping tris lines up? If that's the case, it's the feature that MAKES the clipping tool. But realize, only another coder can truly appreciate such work, unless the feature is excessively visual and recognizable to someone who isn't familiar with coding.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All tris must exactly touch edges (ie you can't have

- ----------------
-- 1 --
------------------------
-----------
---- 2 -----
--------------------------

Stan Convert makes it to (splits tris):
- ----------------
-- 4 - 1 - 3 --
------------------------
-----------
---- 2 -----
--------------------------

EDIT: OK darned forum not leaving spaces. Anyways they must touch edges identically so it splits 'em to do so.

it also reorients the the right direction, removes dupes, etc.

Just commenting, it was quite an exhausting process, I never thought it'd be good enough to use. Kept walking out of level for a long time...

Although to be fair I had help from an unnamed Golden friend (and of course Zoinkity too) Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: