ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fort Knox WIP (updated 2010-01-25)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Fort Knox WIP (updated 2010-01-25) Reply with quote Back to top

------

Textures are just placeholders and I didn't even care to adjust UV yet.
This is just for show.

Last edited by radorn on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Yurei
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like what I'm seeing!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're really off to a wonderful start, Radorn. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice way using SketchUp

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.filedropper.com/knox_1 (Play Dam in solo)

I just got this and though I might as well share it instead of posting more screens. Link will stay for a week or so. By the time it expires the level might have advanced a lot making this obsolete anyway.

This is a test import monkeyface was so kind to do for me since I wanted to see how well GE liked geometry with some non-integrer coords to see if I had to manually adjust them (or find some automated tool to do it for me) or I could leave them as is.

Seems like it works. The stairs are intentionally not walkable (couldn't be arsed to clip them for a simple test, and they were constructed with all integrer coords, anyway). Also, it's all a single room and surprisingly fast (even on my craputer) so I'm very satisfied.

A little comment I should make about my "GE units are centimeters" theory... I found out it's true, but somehow the camera in GE makes things seem smaller than they actually are ("Bond-Vision" according to monkeyface), so I guess I'll have to make the scale smaller to get it to LOOK as intended. Maybe something between 0.9 and 0.8. I'll try to do some math and then trial and error.

monkeyface

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, and to think Bond-vision isn't copyrighted...
It's looking very good, and with some final details it'll be perfect. Keep it up.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I get excited looking at new maps in the game. This one looks really good! I do have question though, this isn't the whole map is it?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also wondering if perhaps there may need to be two different Fort Knox based missions in the Goldfinger mod. One that would include the exterior, as well as some interiors, and another that would be mostly the back entrance security room and the main vault, etc. I wonder for a few reasons: the amount of unique textures being used, the weather setup, the length and feel of the mission, and the number of objectives.

Take Surface i and Bunker i, for example. They could have probably been made into one big mission, but were built as two. This adds more levels, more objectives, and more variety. The great thing about GoldenEye, is that the missions are all fairly short - when you know your way around. Having a huge map with so much to do and many chances to die along the way, will sort of step outside of that tradition.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My plan is to develop the map as a whole.
Without disclosing possible secrets and surprises, I'll say it will have the outside, first floor offices, something in the second floor with access to the roof, and of course the underground vault with dungeon like stuff and the main room seen in the film.

If/how it will be separated in more than one level/mission will be determined when the level is more mature. Let's see how it turns out.
Of course I want a mutiplayer version too Very Happy

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That looks great.
If it is a big map it might be quite slow to some people, so you thought of making it into two maps.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DK25 wrote:
If it is a big map it might be quite slow to some people, so you thought of making it into two maps.

That's one part of it. A really long mission that takes you to a lot of different locations can either bore the player, or frustrate them. I'd hate to have to battle through a platoon of enemies outside of Fort Knox, inside the offices, and then be forced to contend with Oddjob near the very end of the mission. Some of Perfect Dark's missions felt too large and complex, making them less appealing after you've already beaten them once. Plus, the higher the difficulty level, the less attractive it may seem. Of course, this will need to be tested and discussed later on, after more construction has been completed - which I'm looking forward to seeing more previews. Smile

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I advanced some work and finally have a computer whose video drivers don't die on the visual editor, so I did my first attempt at using the editor and import something. With some live guidance from SubDrag and monkeyface, I have done this.

http://www.filedropper.com/knoxalpha2_1 (level is runway, didn't change editor's default selection, probably should have)

It's full of flaws, some for which I know the reason, some for which I MAY know the reason, and then another for which I have no idea.
Could someone tell me why the window textures are all **** up? Not very important at this point, but they show right on the editor so I don't know...

Anyway, grab it while it's hot, since filedropper doesn't keep files for long, nor I need it to, this is just a preview and not meant for posterity, or do you think we should keep our "BETA" material? beta is always better LOL xD.

Last edited by radorn on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It seems the editor doesn't properly support 32 x 48 sized images, even if from Rare's textures. You'll need to use 32 x 32, 64 x 32, or 32 x 64.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

just some update

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is looking fantastic, Radorn.
I really like the use of shadows and consitent lighting. Heck, if you were to replace the textures with higher quality ones, that'd probably look like it belongs in a current gen FPS. Very nice progress. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: