ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Fort Knox WIP (updated 2010-01-25)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the shadows are just a dynamic effect from sketchup, I'm afraid. I'll probably look into adding shadows and color shading here and there when the structure is more final. I'll probably use Sketchup's shadows system and then draw manually over the shadows it casts and color them in the editor.

The textures are mainly placeholders. The block texture I used is from Super Mario 64, slighty edited to remove the dual tone it has in the original, but I have no idea how to draw anything so making a texture sounds like something very hard to me, specially something that's any good.
It will be replaced with something else by just swapping it in the editor or in the material file to keep the UV mappings since they were hard to make.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the grey block texture is a place holder then I suggest when you make youre final texture, you may have already thought of this, make it a greyscale one and use the vertici colour to get the grey (of which has a pink tinge to it) grannit.

Looking good though.

Where are the 'garidge' doors that Oric lasers (probably blow up in game)?

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd imagine that those doors would probably be objects used in-game, as they're meant to operate. He could stick in place-holders, I suppose. The front door is likely never meant to open, so that'd explain why he has that one built.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, I would really prefer to have everything functional in the end. The current door is for completeness, so one can see how it really looks.
The windows could also end up being a mix of a secondary grid texture with a cristal pane on the back or something.

Don't go crazy over the details now, it's all too "alpha". Also, these patches I released were just meant for testing.
The first one was meant to test how the editor would react to SU's OBJ files because of something to do with non-integrer coords issue I was affraid could be problematic. monkeyface did it fr me, and since I had it, I thought it could be nice to share it with you guys so you had something to look at if you wanted. This also brought SubDrag's extension to the patch "Knox plus", with the car and stuff.
With the second, it was my first attempt at making a functional level since I got (or, rather, restored) a computer that can successfully run the GE editor without dying disastrously. And since I had the patch...

Don't be too concerned about functionality or anything at this point. Heck, the level is currently a single room, scale is not decided upon, clipping is incomplete...
Also, I won't be releasing too many of these WIP patches once I get more into the interiors of the complex... that will be as secret as possible until the release. It's a top secret US gov facility after all, full of mysteries, and I would like that you guys can also find surprises by playing instead of having previous access to all. It would ruin the fun, don't you think?

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree it would spoil the fun so make it a detailed as the N64 can handle (most users will emulate anyway) and make it interesting with where applicable many routs, i.e. non-liner.

Some argue that a level can be to complex, I argue that levels can be to liner. They should be beliveable, intricurt and have many ways to do something like sneak around or blast through. Another way of looking at it is how many ways are there from outside to your kitchen. in my house there is 2, others may be 3 and some 1. it depends.

hmm, I digress, just make the inside nice. (there is only 1 way, at least at the start of the mission, to get in but afterwards...)

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thankfully, there's quite a bit of reference material for the exterior and interior of Fort Knox in the film. Most of the areas, from the back entrance to the gold vault, are clearly visible. Lucky for Radorn, there's plenty of extra interior locations he can create. Be it the offices on the ground floor, or bonus vaults below ground. It's sort of like Facility and Control. The film gives you a wonderful view of the central areas, but allows for some great artistic license when it comes to the other places that you can't see.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

actually, I have done my homework and found some reference material on the real depository, even some tidbits of the interior, old pics mainly, even of the construction.
won't be boasting my "detective skill", since it was not hard to find at all.
I'll be sure to recreate those as well. I'll also try to check pictures of US style of goverment offices from the 30's through the 60's to give me an idea how they should be.

man, I need to learn 2d graphics so I can make my own textures.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you, and would prefer if the interior is a secret until we start playtesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: