ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

DEP: Data Execution Prevention...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: DEP: Data Execution Prevention... Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so my most recent batch of updates has been a lot of fun. I had an Internet Explorer update, but now my Explorer refuses to open. I get this BS excuse, a "DEP: Data Execution Prevention" message. Checking out the data supplied when you click the message, I noticed that you could selectively disable certain programs from being scanned. I add IE to the list, restart my computer and it still doesn't work. Good thing I had FireFox still on here.

Now another issue... Mupen64K keeps closing due to the same problem. I have never, ever had to deal with this before updating today. Does anyone know if I can get rid of this DEP crap, or a way to get my programs to actually run?

BTW: I'm running on (guess what?!) Windows Vista.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No idea, I'm running the beta of 7 now, and haven't gotten any update like that. Was this a Windows update that started it, or something else? It seems like this has been around since the XP days:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

Might want to run a virus scanner on those programs just to be on the safe side.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

DEP is Windows' implementation (in software and/or hardware where available) of a mechanism by which programs can set certain areas of their allocated memory range to not be executable and hence preventing (if successful) malware from injecting code in these and then executing it (which I think is called buffer overflow exploitation).
This is a security features, so if you are having DEP warnings (I never ever had one) it may mean you have a virus or, more likely, that your program is not "DEP-aware".
Dragonsbrethren's link has instructions on how to configure it to a less aggressive setting, and checking for virus is a good idea also.
I configured mine long ago, and didn't even remember I had it limited to system essentials, so that may explain why I never saw a warning... that and that I'm not on a NX-bit capable CPU xD.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I tried setting Internet Explorer as a program to be avoided by the DEP check, it didn't seem to help. The same message still popped up, even after restarting my computer. I've since tried a method somebody posted on some random website, and at least my Mupen64K appears to be running properly again. My IE continues to close, but I can still run Firefox for the time being. I don't know what other programs are effected by this, but I guess I'll find out as I open them...

Yes, my updates were all supposed to be from Microsoft. I haven't been home in over a month, so there were quite a few updates to run through.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Never had this problem before, but that could be because I use firefox, and rarely IE. Personally, i would just use firefox all the time. Unless there is a particular reason you use IE.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: