ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

IMPORTANT: Redownload editor for PD xDelta Patching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: IMPORTANT: Redownload editor for PD xDelta Patching Reply with quote Back to top

It turns out that in default xDelta settings, the maximum sized patch input/output files are 0x1000000, or 16 meg, with its malicious file checker. Of course PD is 0x2000000, or 32 meg, so the default settings did not work. I have since upped the size to 2^28, so all version of the editor that is 2.3.52 or later will now support PD xDelta patches instead of just GE. As a word of warning, it is possible many xDelta patchers out there will not support PD patches, so always use the setup editor. As always, back up your files before installing it.

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/files/tools/setupeditor21/geeditsetupeditorinstaller2.exe

Last edited by SubDrag on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you sure this only affected applying patches, and not creating them? The reason I ask, I don't know what Wreck used, but I created my CI gun name patch with xdelta UI, and I could apply that patch fine using the old setup editor (as well as xdelta UI). The same goes for Wreck's patches, which I had no trouble with using either program. The other patches, however, could not be applied by either. I was wondering if this file size security feature information might actually be contained in the patch, too, and patches created with the old setup editor had it set too low or something. It just seems odd that my patch and Wreck's patches worked fine before this fix, but the others didn't.

Just so you know, patches created with this new version of the editor still can't be applied by xdelta UI. If you want, I can create a patch using it for you to compare with the setup editor's output. One thing I notice is the setup editor's patch is slightly smaller (66.7 KB vs. 67.1).

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I pretty sure it's because the xDelta GUI has that 2^24 limitation, which they must've compiled as default. I don't know why it wouldn't patch otherwise. Have you tried the console version?

I wonder if there are parameters encoded in xDelta (as you mentioned) which only are valid under certain circumstances, such as malicious check. What error shows up?

There are also compression settings, the default is 3 but maybe GUI uses another value.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The error is exactly what you would expect from the code you found:

xdelta3: hard window size exceeded: XD3_INVALID_INPUT

xdelta UI is just a frontend for the command line version of xdelta (it comes with version 3.0u). Any problems are coming from the official distribution, and not the frontend, I'm sure. It's just strange that the patches it creates will work fine, but the setup editor's won't.

Here's a copy of Area 51 Multi created with xdelta UI:

http://dragonsbrethren.slickproductions.org/files/goldeneye/pd/a51xdeltaui.zip

I used the new setup editor to apply the original patch, then created this from the patched ROM. This will apply fine with xdelta UI, but a new patch created by the updated setup editor won't. This patch will apply fine with the setup editor as well, though.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's odd, I'd expect it to act identically since I used default parameters and you'd think they would too. I'm not sure why a hard window error is generated, maybe something to do with moving large sections of ROM. I wonder if their version makes smaller chunks or something.

My code is straight from their example. Is there someone we can email to see what parameter I can set to make it not generate these large windows?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll contact KaioShin and see what parameters the frontend is passing to xdelta.exe.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He's using defaults, and his buffer size must be smaller than 32 megabits. To be honest, his application is quite trivial!

Mystery solved - I was setting a full ROM size buffer, so it could potentially go to 32 megabits of buffer, which exceeds default params. I've lowered it to half the ROM size.

I'll be updating editor shortly and post to site

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, okay, great. Glad to see this one solved.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As you can see though, his not setting buffer high enough causes a slightly less efficient result. He should really increase it with increasing sizes of games nowadays.

I have reuploaded all the PD patches in compatible format. Setup editor installer will be done I dunno 20 mins or so. Betas up though.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually sorry will be up tomorrow morning.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Upload is up at goldeneyevault installer and beta, now makes that xDelta GUI compatible patches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: