ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 Overclocking featuring Goldeneye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: N64 Overclocking featuring Goldeneye Reply with quote Back to top

Link Below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcV-3YKKDs

Shows at normal speed, then at a new speed

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

actually, spyster, 1.0x is not the normal speed.

This overclock modification is based arround changing the CPU multiplier.
The multiplier is a function of the CPU that sets the CPU's core speed to a fraction or multiple of the bus speed.

The N64 has a bus speed of 62.5 Mhz. The CPU normally runs at 93.75 Mhz. This is because the factory setting of the multiplier is 1.5x (62.5 x 1.5 = 93.75), making the 1.0x multiplier setting constitute UNDERCLOCKING Wink

The possible settings are 1.0x, 1.5x (normal), 2.0x and 3.0x
The mod is done by lifting a couple of pins on the CPU and changing the type of current that reaches them, a combination of ground and +3.3v.

If you feel daring enough to do it, here's how Wink
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/n64oc.htm

Bad news. Not all consoles react well to overclocking. It's said that the later transparent case models usually have newer motherboards with revised components which take overcloking better. In most cases you'll be probably able to reach 2.0x CPU multiplier without problems, but 3.0x is more likely to fail.

More bad news. Not all games react well to overclocking.
In the case of GE and PD, due to their programming, which is tightly coupled to the standard console's timings (in order to take the most performance possible), speeding up the CPU also causes fast motion during gameplay, as you can see in that video.
Other games show other side effects. The guy that, I think, first came up with this on the internet (at least who realized about it reading the CPU's specs document), RobIvy64, said that DK64 played very well with the overclock, showing a better framerate but with no undesirable fast motion, but there was a problem. In DK64 there are some timed trials. A clock appears on screen and counts down (or up) telling you how much time you have left to complete the stage. The problem is that, while the game runs at normal pace, the clock in these timed trials runs FASTER than normal when you overclock the CPU, resulting in you having no time to complete these trials.

As I haven't performed the mod myself, I have no info on more games' reactions to overclocking, since nobody documented anything else on the interwebs.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is rilly cool

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, well, if GoldenEye and Perfect dark "speed up" then I guess Im not going to bother overclocking my 2nd N64...

Trev

Antares_Commander
Agent
Agent

Location: In space, fightingg the Galactic Empire under the Emperor, whilst trying to figure out the PD editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I must have the n65 or something then, because my ge is faster than that.

Edit:Thanks, randorn. I was comparing my game to the videos 1.0X, which means that my n64 is just a normal n64.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: