ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Frigate: Interesting Discoveries (Nov 15th, 2009)...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Frigate: Interesting Discoveries (Nov 15th, 2009)... Reply with quote Back to top

Updated: November 15th, 2009

Another small update. Found what I had at first thought was either a missing texture or incorrectly sized architecture. The railings on the lookout platforms at each side of the bridge have a one-way texture, which can only be seen from the outside. The designer either figured that you'd never see it from inside and didn't draw it both ways, or simply forgot to make it double-sided. My feelings go with the latter. I've since corrected this, by adding the proper commands to the indice file.

Updated: November 14th, 2009

Added more pics to this post. Including places where blank textures are used, a reversed texture in a doorway, fully lit vents, and another very odd find. Part of Room 02's vents is actually drawn in Room 04. You can see it highlighted in yellow, as the room is selected in the Editor. As a result, you can not see that part of the vent in-game. It won't display via emulation or console, even when both rooms are visible (due to portals).

I was playing around in the GoldenEditor with the Frigate map and something popped out at me. Here is the room I'm speaking of and what you normally see...

While clicking in Room Positions mode at the bulletin boards, I noticed a smaller area was highlighted. There were even more hidden away; sixteen in total. At first I thought it might be some kind of secondary overlay, perhaps to make it look aged. Then I saw that it was set as a primary. Still not sure what it was, I decided to move the triangle closer into the room. Whatever it was, it was using the same X Coordinate as the wall and the board. This is what I found...

A full map, consisting of eight different, 33x33 sized textures, hiding behind a bulletin board. As far as I know, you can not see this using any graphics plugin via emulation, and can only catch a poor glimpse of it on console by walking directly into it from a hard angle. I'm not even sure how many people know about this, as it's the first time I've ever seen it myself.

Why doesn't it show up? Well, it's probably because the wall, the board and the map all share the same X Coordinate. While the bulletin board displays fine, the map doesn't. It's possible to modify the indice file (555D34.bin in the Editor's Wall Data folder) in an attempt to make the map draw overtop of the board, or you could simply bring it out a full point farther in the vertices file (536894.bin), which might make it look as though it is floating. Either way would get it to finally display correctly.

Somebody should've told the navigator that the map is supposed to be tacked onto the bulletin board, not behind it. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:27 am; edited 6 times in total

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh wow, awesome. You know, I can't believe we're still finding things buried in this game after all this time.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow I Did not No That At All Wreck. How The Heck Did You Find it?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So in-game what does it look like? Can we get that shot? Really interesting.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is really strange. I was under the impression that the map had always been there.
When I saw this I immediatelly thought that I had always seen it, but then I started the game (PAL, on console) and it wasn't there... very odd.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In-game, you can only see a bare bulletin board. I've tried multiple graphics plugins on Mupen64K and have been unable to see the map at any time from any angle. Even on console it is difficult to spot. You need to blow up the chairs and tables preventing you from getting up close, walk directly into the wall, then slowly shift your angle. As the board disappears and the wall shows through, you'll eventually see it meshed in there. That method hasn't worked for me via PC emulation, though. This leads me to believe that, aside from the developers at Rare, we're probably some of the first people to ever see the map. Hell, it only took us twelve years. Razz

How did I find it? It was pure chance, really. I was clicking around in Room Positions mode, just to see how things were constructed, as well as what textures were used. When I clicked on the empty bulletin board, instead of it being made up of only two triangles, there was a small one somewhere near the middle. After I noticed more, I shifted the board back by a few units to see what was there. Voila! Hidden map.

As much as we may think we know about this game, there always seems to be something new to discover and learn. What mystery will we unlock next year? Laughing

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool Maybe If We Look At All The Levels on Room Positions Mode Then
We Can Maybe Find Sum Stuff In The Levels.

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How about make a "stickied" topic on all the mysteries found in GE?

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes We Need To Make a New Topic on all the mysteries in
Goldeneye 007 How about You Make The Topic Spyster it Be Cool
Unless You Dont No Munch mystery at all. Then Wreck Can Make it Cus
he Fond out The Frigate mystery. So He May no Lots of mysteries

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i know there is a goldeneye page on beta stuff and other discoveries already. if your are tryin to see what wreck found in game, look at the walll at a 45, and look up and down with the c's. Theres something about that certain sweet spot angle. Sometimes the angle stretches portals, flickers gemoetry,ect

Last edited by TimEh on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:06 am; edited 3 times in total

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TimEh wrote:
I KNOW THERE IS A goldeneye page on beta stufff and other discoveries already. srry caps. if your are tryin to see what wreck found bow the stuff up like he said, look at the walll at a 45, and look up and down down with the c's. youlll see it bleed threw the existing gemitry.
Quote:
http://www.betagoldeneye.com/
other old school crap. coold discovery if i say so. lol what other job can you be bribed to dreink a 40oz of scotch and close up shop. booooom. catch ya on the flip side

Ive known that too.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Captin.Frosty
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I played around with the editor to try and see it for myself, and I managed to click on a few bits and pieces of the map, how did you get the FULL MAP moved out from the wall?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just keep clicking around until you get all sixteen triangles. It can be pretty tricky to select certain ones, but they'll all eventually show up. I'd suggest using Ctrl+H to disallow room movements before doing so. The rooms will no longer turn yellow once chosen, only leaving the selected triangle a blue tint. This helps to prevent accidentally moving the room while adjusting other things, such as RGB and vertex points.

Detstar used to have a great set of mysteries (both solved and unsolved), but I'm not sure if that's even still around. There may be an archive online, like with the "waybackmachine"... or whatever it's called.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Detstar's been gone for about a year now. Never said a word about it going down, the site just vanished one day. Luckily archive.org has almost the entire site, so the information is still around:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080510065843/goldeneye.detstar.com/mysteries/solved.asp
http://web.archive.org/web/20080510161303/goldeneye.detstar.com/mysteries/unsolved.asp

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool I Ben Thare But Stll I Wish The Site is Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: