ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

December Setup Editor work
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: December Setup Editor work Reply with quote Back to top

I have about 2 weeks off from work coming up and I was planning on spending a good chunk on the editor.

So 3 questions:
1) What features are still needed for Goldfinger project?
2) What features are desired for GoldenEye part of editor?
3 What features are desired for Perfect Dark part of editor?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You no wut be a good idea is to add a click all room at one time that would be good idea. like click alt and shift than click on a room then click on a new room then you can move both room at the same time.

00Dark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Please fix the output for Ump_fortressZ.bin. This is the largest multiplayer setup file in Perfect Dark and could be used for every single stage in a practical manner. The setup contains 0x18 weapon placements in hexadecimal and 0x31 ammo boxes in hexadecimal. There are 24 weapon placements and 49 ammo boxe as well as 12 doors total, plus 8 elevator lifts. All these could be used for Area 51 multiplayer. Just 10 weapons with 2 ammo crates each won't be enough for Area 51 in multiplayer. They'd be far too spread out and you'd have to run everywhere to grab a gun and ammo. The amount of doors and lifts in Fortress's setup should be enough to make an Area 51 CS map. I just need the extra placements and ammo. It would also help if you could maybe get the setup so that I can add more spawn points and Case Respawns, Cases, and Hills without the level file being too large or the level crashing upon load after putting it in the ROM.

Just focus your time on PD Editor file output. Enable us to modify setups with as many objects as we want and play them in the ROM just like the GE Editor 1.0's days.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is an inject feature in the PD 21990, you can input larger files now.

You can help me determine why levels that don't load, load. Try clearing items until it works again so we can ascertain what area is bad.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had mentioned this once in a PM, but wasn't sure if you'd gotten a chance to work on it. You know how there is an option to disable rooms from being moved around in Edit Room Positions mode? The same thing would be excellent for clipping tiles in Edit Clipping mode. It's way too easy to accidentally shift a tile over while making edits. A way to prevent this from happening would be a welcome addition.

An update to the Visual Editor Help window would be helpful. I know there have been some handy new commands added during your updating, but not all of them are listed. For those unfamiliar with them, or for those who have simply forgotten, it'd be great to write them in.

Was there any way for you to recalculate the CRC Checksum on modified PD ROM's, or do we still need to use another program to handle that task? Not that it's a big deal, but it would be rather handy and time saving.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to post in here.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I havent had much opportunity to use the editor so far because of computer troubles (that, it seems, will soon be over), but one thing I can think of is an undo function. Even if it can only undo the last action, it would be very useful. another option would be some sort of quick "save state" system that you could use at anytime, or even set to be automatically run periodically.

Since this would be used mainly to avoid these easy to make errors everyone complains about, these save states don't really need to be loadable after you restart the program or even after loading a different level within the same work session. I realize that creating the framework for savestates loadable from a cold start can get very though. heck, it doesn't even need to be stored on disk (unless you find it fit for reducing ram/pagefile usage).
It could be just a temporary save on ram you manually trigger, and to which you can revert to if you screw up.

thinking about it, if you manage to do that, it would actually equal to a undo system, but depending on how things go, it may be to "dirty" and heavy to let it run for each action, hence my suggetion to make it only user "triggerable" (is that even a word? :S I hope you can understand what I mean, lol)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There actually is an undo function, but I'm not totally sure what it all ties into. I know that is does work for level setup files. Any small change you make to your setup, you can undo it. I don't know to what extent, though. Perhaps the setup is constantly saved to a temporary folder under a different filename, allowing you to go all the way back to the original form.

I don't know if this works for clipping files. I think it might, but I'd have to check it out to be sure. Maybe someone else can fill us in on that.

Background files, probably due to their complexity and number of parts, isn't backed up. Undoing your most recent change could be implemented, but beyond one-to-three moves, there'd be a lot of files being created.

(these files are removed once the Editor is closed or a new project is opened)

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, that's essentially it. Undo/redo is supported for clipping and setup files by saving every action to the backup folder. The editor also saves a backup when you close but if you reopen editor they get wiped.

The bg takes too long to save so I couldn't do this method and I had no other good ideas.

I agree, help file absolutely needs updating. I have to check up on PD CRCs, but I have a feeling it doesn't work right. Good ideas so far, one definite priority as 00dark alluded to is getting PD basic functionality working (for one, at least delete will have to update the rest of known pads so the setup isn't unusable)

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Don't know if this has been incorporated or not, since I can't actually use the editor any longer...

I've had a few requests to take existing clipping from rooms and add to it. Now the editor will recompile everything and cause a huge amount of mess out of the original tiles as a result.

However, it is really very simple to do out of it by breaking a clipping file into rooms, containing only tiles belonging to that room. You can then either merge individual rooms into the whole set or leave rooms out. Afterwards, you simply append them all in sequence into a final file and correct all the connection values as usual.

So, basically, it amounts to this:
1) Clump tiles on a room-by-room basis, so they can be imported with a room model.
2) Only recompile rooms that have been editted in the editor.
3) Allow merging or cutting of entire rooms worth of tiles at once.

-all of which amounts to a mere 1 1/2 years worth of recoding, at worst ;*)

+_+

Oh, sorry I never updated the help file. Couldn't that be a community project?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have a tiny feature request: Make 00 pads sized by a fixed amount in the preferences, rather than using the stage scale. The pads are an acceptible size in most of GE's stages, but they're really small in Facility and PD's stages, and can be hard to click on. They're huge in Runway, too, which is the opposite problem. I think having a fixed, user-configurable size would be better.

Edit: Wow, rereading this post, it's really confusing! I know that the pads are currently drawn the same size regardless of stage scale, which is why they look smaller in the bigger stages like Facility and the ones from PD, and larger in small stages like Runway. What I want is for them to look the same size in every stage (scale pads up/down by the same amount as the stage background/objects), and have that size be user configurable.

Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 am; edited 2 times in total

GERage
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of 00 presets, I'll request another simple feature: the ability to manually change the coords of path presets in Edit Presets. Currently it's illogical that you can move path presets in the Visual Editor but not in the Edit Presets window. Having this would make it easier to perfectly align them.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You wanted someone to add this here...

Perfect Editor: Add weapon specs to the 39850 Modifications menu.
(I'll help, of course)

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ability to split 27 presets through the middle either horizontally or vertically.

Ability to save sets of highlighted objects (like the copy command) and then place them at any time in the future (assuming they're still saved) from the special objects menu. (This could use a folder in the GEedit directory to save all of the files in it, and then just load the list of file names from the folder or a text document contained within it that is written to every time a new set is added)

Fix rotation for multiple selected objects

All of these, from what you have told me, will prove quite difficult. However, i believe that they would allow a higher degree of efficiency and professionalism in our maps that we didn't have before.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pad splitting would be excellent, actually, if it's feasible. I guess you'd need two options for that: Split pad horizontally and Split pad vertically, and base it on the front of the pad (which might cause problems with stock doors, but shouldn't with the ones we insert ourselves. If you combined it with my idea of creating pads based on the location of portals, you could create double doors and multi-pane windows really easily that way.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How easy would it be to make the RGB triangles (the tri identifiers in clipping mode and vertice identifiers in room positions mode when you click on a triangle) semi-transparent? Basically add a user-configurable alfa value (0 to 255) because the problem is sometimes those things are huge and block everything making it hard to see the clipping or background triangles while modifying them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: