ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark hats still functional...kinda
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, I feared that would happen. Unless Rare could've come up with a different method of positioning the hat, I can see why they decided to lose them. It just doesn't work on randomized characters, due to the drastic change in head sizes. If it was based on the head model, rather than what appears to be neck level, it'd looked much better.

Still, it's nice to see that the feature remains intact, and that GoldenEye props can be ported over fairly easily.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree. They'd have to change all their hat code to work off of head instead and I think they just said to forget about it. They must've tried something in G5 but that was it. It really doesn't look amazing in this PD pic anywyas.

Here's the original pic for reference:

It did also become the first model ever ported to PD so that's very cool, and perhaps hats will be useful one day to someone editing PD.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think we'd only done background ports before this, but it is quite likely that Zoinkity dabbled into props, as well. I'll have to port a few other things to test out. The only thing is, we need to get the textures in. That helmet would look a lot better if it were using the appropriate image. Either the one in PD with ID 0763 is some kind of snowy texture, or I made an error with the RGB handling. During my Caves room porting, I'd usually end up with a white model - due to mishandling of the RGB. Maybe you could check into what 0763 looks like in PD, just so I can know whether it is correct, or if I made a boo-boo someplace. I also don't know the actual dimensions of the PD texture, so the data included in the header could be messing with it.

We know one thing, though. When / if we port over GE character bodies and heads, the hats will work on them. Their head shapes and sizes are more generic than in PD, which shouldn't pose any problems. It's really only the damned background files that are causing grief...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To port PD images, all you need to do (for compressed ones) is remove 1172, add 1173, then 3 byte uncompressed size. For non 1172 ones I believe it's a straight copy/paste.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's all there is to it, then? I thought maybe you had to do something else with them. Was it the same process for bringing PD textures into GE? If that's the case, it should be pretty easy to exchange the images between games for our ports. Maybe I'll whip something else up soon and send it off to you. With the right textures in place, we should end up with a perfect (or perhaps I should say golden) port.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah in GE all I did was subtract the uncompressed size, and change 1173 to 1172. And the greyscale were taken as is.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Here's the original pic for reference:

There's an even better shot of a dead NSA bodyguard wearing a black baseball cap-type hat in Ruins floating around out there. I think it was included in that huge page of prerelease shots posted recently (and I know it's there in the concept art).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're right, DB...

Concept

In-Game

Looks like they had the cap modelled and imported, but decided to remove it at some point. You can see by the picture of the dead guard that it's partially inside of his head. Because of the wide variety of head models, the formula used successfully in GE just wouldn't work the same way in PD. They'd have needed to change it to offset from the top of the head, rather than neck level. Either they couldn't get it looking right for everybody, or they just figured that hats weren't worth the extra time that could be focused elsewhere. Good eyes seeing that black security cap. Smile

fantsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

huge differences between offsets everywhere, just like with those sunglasses.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone ever looked into how the Nightvision Goggles are constructed and applied? I think, though I'm not completely positive, that they're only worn by characters in the third mission; Extraction. You know, right near the ending, just before the rooftop. Cassandra's bodyguards each wear a pair of them. Have we ever stopped to look at how they appear on the different head models? The eyeline might be a little more generic, but it really depends on how oval or circular the face is. I remember one female head to be quite lengthy and thin. Might be of interest to check into.

Edit: Looking into the file, 0346: PchrnightsightZ, it appears to be just a standard object. It must have something to do with the way the goggles are applied to the character within the setup file. I'm wondering if the model could be swapped for something else, such the metal crate, and have it show up at eye level. XYZ position offsetting might still play into it, as the goggles are repositioned, and the crate isn't. The other two sight modifying gadgets, 0552: Pmisc_irspecsZ & 0770: PxrayspecsZ, both share the same offset values as the Nightvision, so those can no doubt also be worn by characters. Not that that comes as any surprise, considering how similar all three models are.

*note of interest 1: While the Nightvision Goggles and X-Ray Glasses use textures from the image bank, the IR Scanner uses internal textures, built directly into its own model file.

*note of interest 2: Though the Nightvision Goggles are the only model of the three to feature the "chr" line in the name, the other two should also be able to attach themselves to a character.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought Cassandra's bodyguards always used the same heads, but checking the setup that doesn't seem to be the case. The only non-random heads are the masked shocktroopers, Cassandra, Mr. Blonde, and guard ID $1E, who is a shocktrooper with head $16.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can picture a few different female heads used on the bodyguards throughout the mission. There has to be atleast three unique models per load, maybe more. I don't know if using the Cloaking Device will allow you to walk up to them and get a good look at their goggles or not. I doubt this knowledge will better help our hat testing, but it's still valuable to know how it's done.

The goggles could be listed individually as 03 Standard objects, possibly set to Pad "FFFF". Props set to that Pad usually have a tag before them, which could be what the "FFFF" references. My thoughts are that anything set to "FFFF" isn't needed until a certain point, so it's kind of put on-hold. An Action Block handles that later, by moving to a new Pad or putting on a path (vehicle or cinema related). Since the bodyguards need to be spawned in, they wouldn't be assigned anything at the beginning. The goggles, as well as weapons, would likely be reassigned in an Action Block when needed. But without actually being able to look at the blocks or setup file, it's all guesswork.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, I was surprised, but the bodyguards aren't spawned in; they're standing up there from the beginning. They are flagged as invincible by default; I'm not sure what block clears that.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. I would've thought they'd have been spawned in when you're on Cassandra's office floor, or when entering the stairwell. What happens if you attempt to shoot at them with the FarSight XR-20 from a few floors down? Do they receive damage, or are they still set as invincible?

Did you happen to take a look at the Nightvision Goggles, as well? I still have a feeling that they're tagged, set to "FFFF" Pads, and assigned in an Action Block.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did: There are only two nightvision objects in the setup, but they do use pad FFFF. Action block 1400 gives one to Joanna and guard ID $F5 (which I just confirmed to be a human co-op buddy), but I'm not sure where the other is used (if at all).

Anyway, the bodyguards react exactly how you'd expect them to; they don't take any damage from your shots, but you can shoot the shotguns out of their hands. The same thing occurs with the three guys around the rocket launcher (I guess they really didn't want you to miss that little bit of dialogue between them). Anyway, the guys around the rocket launcher become vulnerable after opening the door leading to that area, and the same with the bodyguards when you open the door and lose control of Joanna for a moment. I believe action 1009 takes care of unsetting the invincible bit on the bodyguards, but I still need to test what a few actions there are doing.

I also had a close look at the bodyguards. The nightvision is drawn over all of their eyes perfectly, but their heads all seem to be very similar in size and shape.

Edit: Well, this is interesting. I prevented invincibility from being removed from one of the bodyguards. The game unsets tags 10 using action 00A8 to do so (this action block also sets that, despite the guards already being invincible in the object data). There was another action, 00B1, that had something to do with guards. When I changed another guard ID in 00B1 the invincible guard took off running (and not that normal run the editor calls jogging; I had to strafe run to keep up with her) when I killed the rest of the bodyguards. She ran down the stairs to the elevator, and rode it down to the foyer. Once she got down the steps in the foyer, she went back to being a normal guard and started attacking me again. Some sort of unfinished fleeing script for the bodyguards?

Edit 2: I think the nightvision is embedded in the head model, like GE's sunglasses. When I tried a few different heads, I got guards up there with sunglasses instead! Velvet and Jonathan had them, while Carrington and the President had nothing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: