ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye randomizer idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perfectace
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: GoldenEye randomizer idea Reply with quote Back to top

Please move if this fits better in another forum.

I've had an idea for a GoldenEye randomizer that goes beyond randomizing guard weapons, camera/alarm spots, etc. that could potentially be super fun to play and requires beating levels in unorthodox ways, but I'm not sure how realistic it would be to make such a hack. I am imagining something like: having Dam + 2 other random levels later on in the game initially unlocked (e.g., only Dam, B2, and Caverns unlocked). The goal would be to unlock and beat all 20 levels, but key items needed to progress past parts of a level are randomized across the game so you wouldn't be able to beat levels in standard sequential order. For example, the keycard at the start on Facility could be somewhere on Caverns, so you wouldn't be able to beat Facility immediately after Dam; you would have to play Caverns, find the "Facility keycard" somewhere there, and then revisit Facility (items would carry over across levels). Then, for example, the ignition key on Runway or large key on S1 could be somewhere in Statue, so you'd have to play a "post-B2" level to complete Runway/S1. You can imagine how such randomization could be designed in a way to require playing levels in unusual orders, revisiting levels multiple times, and exploring regions of levels not typically encountered during gameplay/speedruns. Then on top of all this you can randomize guard weapons, guard health, body armor positions, alarm/camera positions, or even mirror levels to juice up the difficulty of completing the game even more. Obviously the logic would have to be designed to make any combination of logic possible so you don't get softlocked.

I would probably play and stream this to death if it existed, and from asking a few other GoldenEye speedrunners, they would play it and support this project too. It would be fun to race these randomizers with others as well. I'm not sure how realistic/feasible such a randomized ROM hack would be, but it would be pretty refreshing to have something close to an OoT style randomizer, and I think this could accomplish that. Thoughts?

PeeMoldy
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like this idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: