ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Analog Stick Dying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Analog Stick Dying Reply with quote Back to top

I recently just got a USB adapter for my N64 controller (The one with the PSX plug too) so i could play GE online more flawlessly, but i came a across a slight problem.

I have 5 nintendo64 controllers. Only 1 of them worked. Of course it's the one with the loose analog stick.

So, if anybody has a tricks to fixing a dying loose analog stick that would be awesome. I don't wanna waste money on another controller because it probably wont work with the adapter. I also don't want to have to take the controller completely apart just for an analog stick. I'm just curious to see if you guys know any tricks. I'm dealing with poor aiming right now, but if you guys can't suggest anything I'm willing to do, I can live with it lol.

Thnx, I hope for a solution.

ps - I boosted up the range in Mupen so its like the analog stick is normal, but aiming is pitiful.

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Analog Stick Dying Reply with quote Back to top

TH126 wrote:
I recently just got a USB adapter for my N64 controller (The one with the PSX plug too) so i could play GE online more flawlessly, but i came a across a slight problem.

I have 5 nintendo64 controllers. Only 1 of them worked. Of course it's the one with the loose analog stick.

So, if anybody has a tricks to fixing a dying loose analog stick that would be awesome. I don't wanna waste money on another controller because it probably wont work with the adapter. I also don't want to have to take the controller completely apart just for an analog stick. I'm just curious to see if you guys know any tricks. I'm dealing with poor aiming right now, but if you guys can't suggest anything I'm willing to do, I can live with it lol.

Thnx, I hope for a solution.

ps - I boosted up the range in Mupen so its like the analog stick is normal, but aiming is pitiful.

You bought the buggy N64 adaptor. I don't know any solutions, but I'm sure the guy said you can send it back with a refund incase any solutions dont work.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's actually very easy to take apart the controller.

You only need to remove the back cover, take the Z button trigger off of the analogue stick casing, unscrew the casing from the front cover, and then you've got it out.

Do the same process in reverse with a new stick (that you've bought online or liberated from another controller) and you're done.

There is no feasible means to fix a stick module, so this is truly your only option.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If its the sumoto adapter then this could be of help to you:

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=1311

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If he doesn't have the desire to open his N64 controller, I'm doubting he has the will or the tools to do that.

However, that's actually pretty interesting. I'll pass it on to anyone i know who has issues with that adapter.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

On the subject of replacement sticks, how good are they? I could really use at least one new one, but I want something that's at least as good as the original (which isn't saying much, but third party parts are usually garbage). Used N64 controllers are actually pretty expensive, too expensive to replace every few months, and if you can't see it in person you never know if it's going to be any good or not.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i got 5 for Christmas 4 years ago, all of the one's I've used arel as good as the originals.

Anyway, does anyone actually know what particular part wears out? We might be able to make 50 in a 3d printer for 20$ or so, and just replace that one unit instead of the whole thing.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Entropy Soldier wrote:
If he doesn't have the desire to open his N64 controller, I'm doubting he has the will or the tools to do that.

However, that's actually pretty interesting. I'll pass it on to anyone i know who has issues with that adapter.

Yeah, but it's an option. I'm about to try it on mine. And I got a full refund on it too, so I might as well try it out. I'll post results when I'm done.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got one of these from 2002, and it was not sumoto brand back then.
the board looks different on mine, but the problem described is identical.
I'll use a multimeter to check if the volt measures coincide with his.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I added 1.5kOhms resistance and it worked a little. It no longer says I'm pushing all the buttons at once so thats good. But the joystick is still slightly freaking out. I couldn't find any 1.8k resistors so I'm going to try 2.2k next. Oh, and the ground wire just straight came right off of the adapter, so I guess you get what you pay for.

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i solved it!

I swaped analog sticks from a controller that doesn't work with the adapter to the controller that works with the adapter.

Everything was A-OKAY! Minor button probs were soon solved and a jumpy analog stick in the beginning of calibration was solved also!

I guess taking the controller apart wasn't as bad as I thought Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: