ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

The Missing Weapon - Updated: 02/18/2010 @ 12:50pm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: The Missing Weapon - Updated: 02/18/2010 @ 12:50pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've actually had this one sitting for quite some time, but had trouble with two 1x1 textures. The handles on the weapon, as well as a knob on the top, were bright white. They were supposed to be gray and black. Now that I've worked out the issue, it's looking much better. This is the one weapon that was skipped over. Now it's exactly where it belongs, and fitted with a PD style rename.

Looking Further Ahead

I haven't gotten around to the Pchr~Z prop yet, but the G~Z weapon is pretty much done. The point in which the bullets come out is incorrect and requires adjusting, and the zoom also needs looking into. For now, it replaces the AR53. It's silent, perfectly accurate, and has a decent scope. I've repositioned the XYZ on-screen coordinates to mimick that of the GoldenEye original. It's extremely close by comparison. And for some reason, it seems to actually look a little bit better in PD. The eye piece is cleaner and easier to make out. Didn't notice if I was playing in Hi-Res mode or not, though.

Handed Down from Francisco Scaramanga

Took me much of the day to figure out, but I've managed to do it. I've ported a weapon from GoldenEye into Perfect Dark. The PcrhgoldenZ prop model was easy, but the GgoldengunZ weapon model took some time. I'm still not totally sure how the files are constructed, so this isn't as good as it could be. Sure, it looks right and operates fine, it's just the file that could use optimizing. I also need to figure out how the hand works. It isn't even in my Golden Gun weapon, so it must be getting setup somewhere else. It'd be nice to locate that data, as I actually had to move the vertex coordinates of the model in order to get it to "fit" into the hand. It was a little ways off on my first test, which necessitated the repositioning. I also don't know yet how the inventory image is setup, so this one is kind of funky. It moves as it rotates, rather than staying in one position. Expect to see possible changes to this in the near future.

Anyways, I quickly changed the weapon specs during my tests. The weapon has a one round clip, is incredibly powerful, and uses the DMC sound effect. I didn't know it before, but it seems as though the Golden Gun used the D5K audio in GoldenEye. Lucky for us that the sound is already in PD. Hehe, and before anyone says anything, I know the ammunition reserve for the Golden Gun is incorrect. It's supposed to be 100, but I never bothered to change it out. It will be adjusted in a public release.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:50 am; edited 3 times in total

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice job Wreck, can't wait to see more weapons! Smile

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my god i cant beleve this you port the golden gun Very Happy this is so cool what else can you import Wreck? i love to see trevelen on PD Very Happy

fantsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Phantom (gun without hands?!?) and GE Magnum next please!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I still can't get the PD->GE conversion to work, so I was never sure what was up with the guns. It looked fine in the model editor, but in-game crashed or was all over place vertices. It's possible you've learned something from this conversion. 05s are key too.

Looks great though!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that looks great Wreck. Not what I was expecting, but very cool none-the-less. Maybe port the magnum next, for that project we're working on...

I wonder how the hand works, it's noticeably bigger with the PP9i than any of the other weapons.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks great, Wreck. Good to see that the environment mapping didn't get "lost in translation". Did you have to do anything special to enable it or?

I was under the impression that these kind of things were implemented in a per-texture/material basis, but maybe they are in the model after all.
What do you have about that?

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, once again, I am impressed wreck, hope to hear more from you. Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I'm glad to see everybody is liking it so far. Smile

I started off by comparing the two GwppkZ weapon models. I figured that'd be my best hope, since it was ported by Rare themselves. Where the weapon is split into many parts in GE, it's one block in PD. Of course, the muzzle flare is separate and by itself at the end of the file, but the body is one chunk. So, I detailed the Golden Gun and grouped all of the weapon pieces together into one file. From there, I actually made it into a room file for viewing in the Editor. That allowed me to determine what each piece made up on the weapon. I took the vertices and indices and converted them to PD format. I replaced the model data in the GwppkZ file, updated all of the necessary offsets, then imported the necessary texture. To my (delighted) surprise, it worked. The weapon didn't fit in the hand perfectly, so I shifted the vertices to a more suitable position. I'm sure something in the file sets the positioning, but there's a lot I haven't gotten into. But still, it worked.

As for other weapons, I'm pretty much done another one. A problem currently lies in the 1x1 textures. This is the same issue that popped up with the Brosnan head port. The area, which is supposed to be gray (or black, in Bond's case), turns out white. Whether this is an emulation error or a result of my model, I'm unsure. I may need to shoot a ROM patch over to someone with a backup device to test out. If it looks right, than it's the graphics plugin failing. If it's still white, than I guess I'll need to track down the problem.

The textures for the model are set in the early portion of the file, for both GE and PD. It lists the image ID, as well as the dimensions and other data. It doesn't seem to have a negative effect on the game if you use textures in the indice drawing commands that are not in the cache or reserve, or whatever you choose to call it. But it must help in some manner for it to know what to load in.

Here's my current thought. Any static weapon in GE should be portable without much trouble. However, those that have moving parts, such as a moving hammer or spinning ammo container, will be a different matter. I'm sure I can still port them, but at this time, the model will not have their special feature. So a Cougar Magnum or a Grenade Launcher won't be animated.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm more than willing to test the thing on the myth cart and post some video of it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Radorn: PM sent. Wink

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Changed the thread title and added pics of another weapon. Smile
By the way, does anyone have the beta shot of the GE Sniper Rifle in PD? I can't seem to find it. I kind of want to see if my positioning is similar to Rare's. I know they changed the other Classics a bit, so it's possible that this was once different, too.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not a very clear shot, but maybe it'll help:

I definitely think it looks better than the PD rifle and better than it looks in GE.

fantsu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great!
I like PDs sniper rifle.
Any chance to get these in multi?
What about the ways to get them in without replacing the originals?
Confused

Yurei
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's pretty awesome!
I say Wreck for president !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: