ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Can we agree that Perfect Dark N64 was ahead of its time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Can we agree that Perfect Dark N64 was ahead of its time? Reply with quote Back to top

I still insist that PD was ahead of its time. Hardware couldn't do what the game wanted to do. It was so designed for single screen multiplayer, but couldn't happen until now. The maps in multi are ideal for 8 players, now that will happen.

When we did our single screen multiplayer setups PD just seemed made for online play. Now it's coming to reality! Single screen PD multiplayer.

I guess part of me wonders about the staying power of PD on XBLA. Will it be fun for most people just to check out, then move onto something else. The real die hards like us might not appreciate the 360 controller for PD and that may keep the true core fans from playing it longer. It may be a short lived excitement.

I will know pretty quickly if the controls are going to stop me from really enjoying this for months and months. Darn it, why not allow button mapping??

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i did read they even removed the posibility to use analogue dual joysticks for the supposedly called classic control setup

it is like they never even bothered to try and play pd using an emulator and the 360 controller!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we agree that Perfect Dark N64 was ahead of its time Reply with quote Back to top

GE MASTER wrote:

I guess part of me wonders about the staying power of PD on XBLA. Will it be fun for most people just to check out, then move onto something else. The real die hards like us might not appreciate the 360 controller for PD and that may keep the true core fans from playing it longer. It may be a short lived excitement.

This is exactly what I expect to happen. Modern gamers won't care and will complain about every little difference from modern shooters, while us hardcore fans won't care and will complain about every little change from the original. The people I think will appreciate it are like one of my friends, who loved to play multiplayer with me every time he was over, but never really got into it hardcore. He'll probably love the remake and overlook the changes (then again, with what they did to his favorite character...).

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it was you who made that original point and it was a good one. I hope you're wrong though! heh. I'm sure I will have to use Halo config which may or may not ruin the experience. Time will tell and I can't wait to try it!!

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think Perfect Dark was ahead of its time

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perfect Dark was the kind of game that defines what a console can do and how far it can be pushed. Not as graphically detailed as Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, the game still makes up for that with it's solid controls, gameplay, storyline, sound, and effects(such as elevators and animations.) For a game that ran on a engine from 1997, it is amazing to the eye even to this day. The game has layed the groundwork for many games that followed in it's wake, it's experiments with AI Stimulants in Multiplayer led to what we saw in The World is Not Enough, as well as the face-mapping technology of Perfect Head which later inspired what was used in Tony Hawks Underground to make custom-faced skaters.

This small IP led on a legacy like no other. Sadly, it's sequel Perfect Dark Zero was disappointing and left a lot to be desired from Rare. Definitely not their finest moment, however it let them know what not to do next time. That next time being the HD remake we are seeing now. The Nintendo 64 and Rareware's relationship established them in the Gaming world and the truly laid down groundwork for many a games. Rare's work on Perfect Dark XBLA is superb, though things may not look "right" in the eyes of the hardcore fans, it's change and the best change they could to bring this gem to the new generation of gamers. So the faces may look a little off and somethings may not be as keen as the original. It's Perfect Dark, enjoy what Rare could do. Only if they could get GoldenEye 007 XLBA out, The world would be bowing at their feet once again.

fantsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They disabled dual analog?
Even N64 had it!?!
Shocked

Haha!

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@ NapalNero: Rare is not handling the XBLA port.4j studios is

Back to topic: I cannot agree more that PD was ahead of it's time.Me and my best friend playing PD for the first time was a total coincedence of me wishing that there was a game that let blood splatter on the walls(He had pd but he didn't have the expansion pak)So he brough it over (I had the expansion pak) and we were completely blown away by the "first sight".That was about when we were seven or eight years old(we are both 16 now) and we both still love this game.We still play it on my n64 when we get the chance too.This game will never "get old"

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will add to my original thought. I forgot to mention the detailed stats in PD. No game really has gone as in depth for stats. Nobody at that time (and not really since) has provided as great multiplayer stats.

More than anything, the game until now, couldn't be played at its full potential. Imagine how many years and consoles have past from then until now.

linkk98
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD was definitely ahead of their time. There was too much lag to PD. Though you don't notice it at first, the level of detail and amount of data does seem a bit much for the N64. I suppose, without the multiplayer, PD for N64 could have fit into the N64. If it was released for the PS2, it wouldn't be ahead of its time, it would be right where we're at, and it wouldn't have had as much lag as it did sometimes. But then PD wouldn't belong to Nintendo and it wouldn't be the same. Plus, we were all moving onto X-Box original and Halo 1 by the time PD came out and the N64 was all Nintendo had until the Wii came out as well. Wink

SoulStorm
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been playing perfect dark Emulated with my 360 controller. i'd have to say it feels alot smoother. really i don't wand dual analog. i think ill be doing a fine job online quote "Pwning the nubs". Very Happy

salathiel
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely agree it was ahead of its time.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the Counter-Op.
I am so excited that they are keeping this because to this day I have not seen ONE OTHER GAME IN MY LIFE that has Counter-Op. It has got to be one of the best ideas ever! I can't wait!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: