ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark Audio Rip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Perfect Dark Audio Rip Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think anyone's ever ripped the audio banks from PD before. There are some funny sounds I had not heard before.

http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/pdaudioripsclamped.rar

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thats awesome SubDrag. Some of them didn't work for me, maybe cause I didnt have the right codec. Anways, in the first folder, I found a few guitar riffs in the credits at the start of the folder, and some intro choir and the explosion sound near the end of the folder.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great work Sub, SRip wouldn't extract the sound effect files when I tried to do it! (Did you use Srip?)

Spyster wrote:
Anways, in the first folder, I found a few guitar riffs in the credits at the start of the folder, and some intro choir and the explosion sound near the end of the folder.

For those interested, those guitar riffs are from the end credits song. It saves space to have the seperate parts recorded and stringing them together as opposed to having one long guitar part recorded, which goes without saying I guess! Rare did this for the opening gun barrell music in GoldenEye too!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some of these might be unused, like 0463/0464, heyyy baby, or just you try it missy...and 0465 whistling...

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I recommend 0036 for total "WUT?" moment

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
I recommend 0036 for total "WUT?" moment

He means the 2nd folder, and WUT? THE? HELL?

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is quite odd, the duck

Ern
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: sample rate Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, do any of u know what the sample rate should be set at for playing back ripped PD sounds (srip)? They come at 22050 Hz, sound nice at about 8000 Hz.

Edit: Seems to be a different rate for different sounds. Voices sound good at about 8k. Guitar parts at about 11k. Any idea how to find a rate for a specific sound?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I ripped mine at 11025, but some of the female voices don't sound right at that rate.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes, different samples have different rates, but most/all of them are luckily standard rates. Try changing samples' rates to 8000 11025 16000 and 22050 one by one and and stay with what sounds right in each case.

The thing is that since these samples are meant for a synthesizer software running on the N64, they are stored as RAW PCM, without a header stating it's playback rate, since the playback rate of each sample will depend on how the playback software plays them within the MIDI music track and realtime sound events (shots, explosions, screaming, rain, steps....).
The soundbank ripping program can't know what the "right" fixed sample rate to apply for each separate sound because the soundbanks don't state those, so it asks you to input a samplerate that will be applied to all samples, but not all of them will sound right that way, as you guys have noticed.

For those that don't know. WAV is a PCM format, but it has a header that specifies, among a bunch of other things, the sample rate at which the PCM stream must be played. RAW PCM is just the samples and the user or the playing software has to know how to play it.
The rippers take the soundbanks RAW samples and apply them a wav header with the user given sample rate, but as said above, it's not necesarily right.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is true in implementation, but N64 sound banks do have a sampling rate specified for all sounds in the bank. It just seems like they ignore it for many sounds. It is used in GoldenEye though to adjust rate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: