ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Map] Egyptian Temple - Nov 9th, 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ermm...
I don't really know what the problem with the current setup is? Believe me, I tried a lot of things with the original setup, but nothing panned out. Unless I could figure out something better to do with the clipping type, this was my only solution.

The shoots should still be at the same degree as before, but now reach down to the floor.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@ trevor

yes the purple is clipping - must correct that

this is a thing that always found weird - the inclined
Chutes or stairs in egyptian do have the defect that the ceiling
does not exist - that is the way they behave in the original game.
if you run fast enough you can see the sky, bond's head passes through
as if he where a ghost.

like wreck says, instead it looks like all the job of preventing falls is made by having tall invisible walls that prevent you from flying out.
tom me it looks like Joanna dark runs even faster than Bond especially strafe running so that makes falling of the ramps more frequent

I guess since the GE and PD games had no jump - the creators did not
go trough the trouble of fixing clipping for ceilings.

i do not see anywhere in the PD game a similar structure like those Chutes in egyptian.
If there is , a good look has to be taken if the joanna head bumps on the ceiling instead of passing trough it.

the realistic thing is , if you run down those inclines too fast your head will bump on the ceiling. those Chutes in real life if you try and run too fast you will bump your head on the ceiling and be temporary stopped.
the ideal speed for those shoots without bumping is going down about 75% analogue speed.

ON the simulated step i can't remember if you could really hide in that edge , i think the head still sticks out even if you double crouch in PD.
the angled clipping would still hide you from the sims and visually the wall graphics from other humans

you would think that in order to hide from the Automachine guns crouching behind the edge was the thing, but we always just run by or used R+C buttons to destroy them
so Wrecks changes are not so bad.

The word of this day is Chutes

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Errr, ok, now Im confused...

What are we all talking about? I don't think it the same thing here ... ?

Good, purple is clipping so (If I can do it in text)

Type A : Origonal
Code:

|\
____| \

Type B : What I beleve to be our (or at least my) suggestion...
Code:

'    :.
'    : /\
_____:/  \
          \      ... = Architecture, - = Clipping

Type B's Clipping would be a bit more subtle than my drawing.

Thing is, having read your post wreck, Im guessing you have in fact already tried this...

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you mean: Instead of the short base clipping at the edge of the chute being vertical, make it diagonal. That way, it acts as a short ramp of sorts, which allows both humans and computer AI to ascend / descend by forward movement alone.

I did try this, but I'm not sure of the degree. It was diagonal, but it was also very steep. It had to be, to match up with the chute floor, without being pushed back dramatically. If you modify it too much, your feet will end up sinking through the architecture. I like to keep everything in mind while attempting things, so both visuals and performance are important.

As for the drone guns...
I don't even bother with them. I just run past them without looking back. They present no real threat. The only time they could cause harm is if you're moving too slowly down the halls, or if you are in the process of destroying them. It is cool having them there, and they'll definitely remain in GE:X, but they are kind of a pointless danger.

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The bump was for the players to
be tricked that the clipping exactly matches the Chute step.
it is from the 1st person the illusion that you step up the thing.

I think ramps in Pd always look defective, the feet sink in to the geometry because they don't adjust to terrain angles , so from another perspective in combat simulator watching the sims go trough a bit of the portion of the wall to elevate would not be a big deal.

It is main purpose for the single player version -

but i just realized- there is a good chance there is no connection between the single player egyptian level and the multiplayer egyptian.

This means that the single player egyptian should have everything intact (unless enemies have the same problem with clipping)
and the multiplayer egyptian is as it is now

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would rather have the mission and VR versions of the level background be exactly the same, and that is for three reasons...

a) It means that only one copy of the background file needs to be stored in the ROM. Otherwise, there would be two, and it'd take up twice as much space. Same thing goes for clipping.

b) The clipping type effects human players, too. Climbing up the edge of the base is slower, if set as a ladder. Also, you are forced to ascend up a short height at the top of the chute, which feels really, really awkward. With the base as normal floor style clipping, you can fall right through it when crouched down too low. With the new ramp system, these problems won't present themselves.

c) It may also seem strange to have the chutes look one way during the mission, and then have them be another way in Virtual Reality.

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

b) The clipping type effects human players, too. Climbing up the edge of the base is slower, if set as a ladder. Also, you are forced to ascend up a short height at the top of the chute, which feels really, really awkward. With the base as normal floor style clipping, you can fall right through it when crouched down too low. With the new ramp system, these problems won't present themselves.

Yes , it was always weird to climb that little piece of wall like a ladder,
that is why to me having it act more like a tall step made more sense -

hey ! that makes me remember - Those steps in the control level where you defend Natalya, they are kind of high - i wonder now if sims will have trouble with those too.

Well , for whatever reason -
if anyone wants those wall sections back,
My guess is using the editor and making small changes is the answer, they should not be so hard to experiment with.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In GE, the short walls do act as a step. You don't have to slowly ascend them like a ladder, but can jump up them quickly. But there is something strange going on in PD. If a vertical tile that is set as a walking type is too high, shorter players, people who are crouched, and computer AI, are capable of going right through it. They drop out of the map and end up dying. You can set it as a ladder, which works just fine under most circumstances, but not in this one. Because it connects to a diagonal walking tile, there is a flaw at the very end. When you reach the top and are about to drop off into the hallway, you run into the ladder tile. This makes you "climb" up a short distance, before allowing you to enter into the hallway. It feels really awkward, and would pose a problem in multiplayer during a heated battle.

Like I said, I tried many different methods to get this working (and feeling) right. For now, I've settled with my background modification. If anyone can get the original version to act exactly the same as in GoldenEye, but without the flaw of possibly falling out of the level, I'll try it out and may even use it.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I suppose thats settled then. I cant see any other way of doing it.

Trev

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If the problem is having a ladder tile connected directly to a diagonal clipping tile, then couldn't you put a small horizontal tile in between the two? Would that work?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol i forgot to ask you Wreck.

In the room with the Golden Gun How are you going to make it so when you step on the wrong tile it will open the big drone guns? Or the other way that if you walk on the rite tile you won't have drone guns shooting you.

I don't think there is a action block to do that.

Or is it a action block?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is probably something like, "IF within proximity of pad (placed on tile), the following command happens". It should definitely be something we can recreate. Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with Action Blocks, so it may be up to someone else to deal with.

Camaro: That's not a bad idea, really. It'd mean the ramp clipping would need slight adjusting, and I'm not even sure if that'd be enough. Depending on how fast you're moving, it might just do the same thing as if that short horizontal tile wasn't even there. I'll remember to try it at some point, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: