ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Anyone still own one of these?! (And Rare interview!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Anyone still own one of these?! (And Rare interview!) Reply with quote Back to top

Bought this a week after the game came out in 2000. Still in perfect condition! (Pun was intended!) Laughing

Last edited by Kode-Z on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I actually don't own any Strategy Guide for GoldenEye or Perfect Dark. In fact, the only strat I have ever owned was for the Resident Evil GameCube remake. I only bought it as a collectible, and had already beaten the game many times before. I'd like to grab most of the GE and PD ones sometime, though. Problem is, a lot of them on eBay are in heavily used condition. Any cool images or maps in that one, Kode-Z?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I own one official one and one prima, but it doesn't look like that. It might be another regions version.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if you mean cool as in BETA, the answer is no. Sad

I never used the guide whilst playing PD - I had it purely as a collectible. There is a really cool interview with Rare, though!

Why not another Bond licence?
The good thing about doing a game from scratch was that we had complete creative freedom to do what we wanted, without being restricted by pre-written storylines and set characters. We were offered the chance to do "Tomorrow Never Dies", but the team wanted to move on and do something different. Our ideas evolved into "Perfect Dark" which gave us complete creative freedom, and the chance to create our own storyline and characters.

Why was the game delayed?
The reason it came out so late was because expectaions were so high, both ours and the public's. If we had rushed it out and released it too early then the game would have been nowhere near as good. People weren't exactly pleased. We actually got hate mail through the post, not to mention loads of other nasty stuff which got printed about us.

Why can't Joanna jump?
It was never considered to be a crucial element of the gameplay we were trying to create. Jumping can be quite frustrating when playing from a first person perspective.

Why did you include Simulants?
We wanted to include bots in "GoldenEye" but we didn't have time. Playing against computer controlled opponents in the multiplayer mode was always one of our wishes. It makes up for the fact that you can't play "Perfect Dark" online.

Did you realise how cool it was as you were making it?
Sometimes you think the game is cool, but on bad days you think people will hate it. You get your head down and struggle through, the whole team effort pulling everyone along. You just have to try and make it as good as you can. The most important thing to us is that you make a game that we really enjoy playing. But the sheer popularity has wildly surpassed our expectations. The testing stage at the end of a game is critical for pulling everything together, fixing all the bugs, tweaking the gameplay and difficulty, and basically making sure that the quality is good enough.

How long did it take to make?
We started working on "Perfect Dark" and it's universe near "GoldenEye"'s completion in July 1997. The NTSC version of "Perfect Dark" was fully approved in April 2000.

Why did "Perfect Dark" come out in America first?
America is Nintendo's largest market by far because the N64 is so popular over there. Plus, the standard development enviroment for games in the US is the NTSC TV format (not PAL as in UK) because Ninendo is a Japanese company. So it just turned out to be the easiest way of doing things. This isn't a bad thing because it means the UK version has had extra time spent on it, so it should be even better!

How come "Perfect Dark" sounds so good?
The sound in "Perfect Dark" uses several specially developed technologies such as acoustic shadowing and reactive panning, plus there's Dolby Surround. These all add to the gaming experience by carefully turning the 3D soundscape to create a realistic, vivid and full bodied audio experience. You really feel like you are there.

Will "Perfect Dark" last as long as "GoldenEye"?
There are a lot more cheats in "Perfect Dark" that can be obtained by completing levels within specified times. Plus there are loads more hidden secrets to find on each level. These secrets either take the form of gadgets you can find, or they might just be clever ways of doing things which people should find as time goes by.

Did you feel under pressure to make a classic?
We knew the expectations were exceedingly high for "Perfect Dark". The millions of people who bought "GoldenEye" were enough of a hint. Combine that with endless magazine competitions, internet pages, fan mail, and the fact that no other developer has provided the public with a replacement fix, we knew the anticipation for "Perfect Dark" was going to be colossal. Hopefully, we've succeeded.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for posting the interview for us, it was a good read. Smile
I still think "Tomorrow Never Dies" could've been better, though.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Thanks for posting the interview for us, it was a good read. Smile
I still think "Tomorrow Never Dies" could've been better, though.

No problem! Wink

I really wish Rare did make "Tomorrow Never Dies".
Then again - "Tomorrow Never Dies" = No "Perfect Dark".

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think if they did TND it would've been better. I was talking yesterday about how all the gimicks in PD are what ruined it, instead of stealth and precision, there's cloaking, dizziness, hovercopters, etc. They would've had to focus on regular gameplay. The engine in PD is incredibly better, but I think the gameplay suffered cause of it.

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seeing as the topic as already gone rather off topic, I'll take the oportunity to ask about something that interview has made me think of:
I never had a surround sound equipment, so I never used the surround sound options that some N64 games have. Did any of you use them? how good is it?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We had the surround sound in the living room and we put the N64 in thar and it sownd amazing for PD.

Jedi QuestMaster
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I own a U.S. Official Strategy Guide (that included a couple comics) but only because I saw it at Kay Bee Toys for $0.99. Razz

And I bought it before we had the game; we were always planning on getting PD.

Anybody want me to scan the comics? I can't find it online.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
I own a U.S. Official Strategy Guide (that included a couple comics) but only because I saw it at Kay Bee Toys for $0.99. Razz

And I bought it before we had the game; we were always planning on getting PD.

Anybody want me to scan the comics? I can't find it online.

I can't believe no one has said "YES!", so please scan these in for us.

Thanks.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, surround sound is briliant.

Trev

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow. That was a really cool interview Razz And this time they didn't put up an attitude!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: