ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE:X - First Preview Patch Released! 03-27-10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you so much DB i just got it ported now all i need to do is to make it look just like the old Facility ill ceep you all updated

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just noting some bugs:

Temple's large brick walls use a metal hit sound and have glitchy bullet holes.

Caves' clipping was never updated to have footstep sounds.

Occasionally characters bleed a black...bullethole like texture. You can see this in a few spots in my video. I'm not sure what causes it, I've only seen it happen on floors.

The grip on the KF7 Soviet's first person model is strangely inside out. Since this one wasn't ported, it's probably an issue with the Glide64 plugin, but I need to check the original.

There seems to be a piece of the Golden Gun's sight (on the first person model) missing. I need to compare with GE.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to see that this is being enjoyed. There are still some things that need tweaking and updating, but I just really wanted to release something to the public that may help gain more interest in the project. I won't be able to work on it from here, unfortunately. I can do minor things with a Hex Editor, but nothing too hands on. I'm happy to have others contribute to the project, but be warned: I am a perfectionist. If I'm not totally satisfied with the work, I will make note of it, so hopefully it can be bettered. I'm very hard on myself, too, so don't take it personally if I say something. It's for the good of the game. Wink

I'll try to cover some ground, so hopefully I respond to all important matters...

Character Bleeding:
For starters, these need updating. Unlike props, which share RGB values, bodies and heads don't. They all need a unique value, since the blood relies on that for staining. You should notice that Joe 2's head bleeds better than someone like Natalya or Bond. They go totally red really quickly, whereas Joe shouldn't. I haven't noticed the bullethole-like texture on them, but it may possibly have something to do with the replaced images. If they don't use the right impact type, something odd might happen. It could even have something to do with needing the RGB updating. Only a few heads were fixed, such as Balaclava (Terrorist) and Joe 2.

Temple Walls:
Yeah, I noticed the metallic hits during a test, but didn't change the impact type. Thanks for pointing that out.

Caves Clipping Sounds:
When I made some slight tweaks to your file, I had noticed that there were no sounds set. I didn't want to select all tiles and set a sound, since walls don't need it. Would be nice to have a feature to select all walkable tiles in Room in the Editor.

KF7:
I didn't touch any of the Classic models, so my guess would be plugin related. I noticed the wooden part of it was inside out, but not sure if that was both weapons. Actually, it could have something to do with the weapon block, since I did alter the flags for it to make it held properly by characters. Could you try a clean ROM and see if it is same?

Golden Gun:
It might be possible that something is off about it. If you find anything is wrong, let me know and I'll look into it. I've listed the model part-by-part, so shouldn't be too hard to spot an issue. It was injected into the PP9i model, which could be a problem, as well.

Path Networks:
By all means, please feel free to work on a path network for any of the maps that require it. I'd really like to see the Egyptian updated and extended, too. It mainly needs the Golden Gun room included, the drops into the big main room accounted for, the shoots where drone guns are found in the mission added in, and I think the stairwells need fixing. In GE, they go through the whole stair case architecture and down to the next level. I think PD might need it to be more detailed for the sims. I've noticed they sometimes have issues going down the stairs to the flooded area in the basement. If you look at how the sets are formed, you'll see what I mean.

Porting Objects:
Any important props, such as doors, can be added in whenever needed. I did all of the Egyptian doors (six in total, though one is also used in Temple) for the map, so it isn't a problem. You'd just need to let me know which need doing and I can get to them when I have the time.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying out Dragon's tutorial there. I've managed to get Depot imported. Just saving it, but found out I never had a PD rom on my computer. D:

Also, explain to me "how to get" the tweaked version of 1964.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=40311

Working MediaFire link on the last page.

Edit: Funny bug in Egyptian, might be what you were eluding to in your post, about spots you can fall out of the map. I was running down one of the staircase ramps, ended up landing on a sim's head, ran right out of the ceiling, and fell to my death. I wonder if adding clipping to the ceilings would prevent this?

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh! Oh My Gawd! Ahh!

WUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!?

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty terrifying. You'd need to import textures to the ROM, the image tools can do it.

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlz1X0k1ups

I tried to showcase all of the weapons i could in this video, but i totally forgot about the new character models!
Oh well, i suppose. This patch actually pulled me away from GE source for a bit and it was well worth it.

However, it is with some sorrow that i report an inability to play it online using a standard mupen64 setup. From what i can tell, it won't allow any saves to be recorded to the game pack, and thus all writable data is restricted to the controller pack. This conflicts sharply with mupens inability to access the controller pack, making it impossible to get past the intro screen. (if you have any sort of fix for this, i'd be glad to hear it. I really wanted to get a video up of me and a few friends playing on library)

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just want to say that this is like an dream come true.
Thank you for everything.
Maybe someday I can even play Archives and Bunker on PD....
Very Happy

Don't know if I like the name thou...
maybe GoldenDark or something?
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

E-S, yeah I experienced that save issue too. It's strange, since Mupen is Wreck's emulator of choice due to not needing to play around with game settings every time we make a minor change to the 39850 index. The hacked version of 1964 claims the controller pak is damaged every time you start it too, even if no controller pak is selected. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks to Sub porting the instruments over, we've now got GoldenEye music working. I added all of the stage themes and their X tracks, plus a few menu themes. There's still a lot of PD stuff that needs replacing (sounds terrible with GE's instruments), maybe I'll just temporarily copy some random GE stuff to those slots. It's really cool to hear the GE death music play in PD.

After today I should have some free time, so I'll see about getting the path networks added to the other three stages in this patch. I'll fix up Egyptian too, so that guy can leave the golden gun room, and the shafts between the two levels. Caves' clipping needs work too, I found an unwalkable spot I somehow missed when I first tested it (actually I'm wondering if maybe Wreck accidentally used an older clipping file, or maybe I forgot to upload the newest for him). Hopefully we'll have another patch by the end of the week. Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also noticed the strange inability to load any saves from the game pak when using Mupen64. I've been needing to use the controller pak as an alternative. Mostly everything in the Combat Simulator should be unlocked by default with the patch, with the exception of Challenges and eight sims max. Not sure what the issue is, but it definitely isn't good. Maybe someone should try modifying a clean ROM with the Editor, and delete debug data and other language texts and see what happens. Hopefully can catch the bug this soon into it and know how to avoid it.

Egyptian Clipping Death:
Hehe, that's rather amusing. That had never happened to me, but it's a good thing to point out. Some of the walls need to be clipped a bit higher, too. I'm not sure if ceilings require a different set of flags, since my tests didn't work out too well with them. I had the ceiling above the long stairwell to the flooded basement set, but I couldn't get down the stairs. It was like an invisible wall. Trying to go up them wasn't much better. I was actually ejected out of the map on the first attempt. The next time I found myself slightly below the architecture, seeing the abyss below me. If can get them working, I'd add them in. Not sure if that'd cause issues with the three shoots or not.

*note: if you load up the Egyptian in the PD Visual Window and look at the clipping file, you'll see that I even took care of a potential bug where you could jump off of the hidden wall drops and land on the pillars, allowing you to 'float' around on them. It's an invisible barrier that sims can see through, which doesn't have any negative effects on gameplay. Kind of cool, actually.

Caves Clipping:
It's possible that I didn't receive your most recently updated file, DB. It was one I had gotten when the level was first ported, so there's a good chance that you had made another since then.

Name:
Well, we've been coming up with some names, but nothing has really stood out as a winner. GE:X is kind of a code name I came up with not long before releasing the preview patch. Whether it'll stick, I can't say. I don't mind it though, since there is some meaning to it. X is a Roman Numeral for 10. Perfect Dark is turning ten this year. The X could also be taken as a short form of "Experience", which is very important. One of the current taglines for the project is: "This is GoldenEye... like you've never experienced it before." There's also some Director's Cut games that get released with an 'X' appended to the original title, so it isn't out of the norm.

YouTube Videos:
I really appreciate seeing these videos getting put up online. It's a little unfortunate that it's mainly Egyptian at this time, since the sims don't navigate any of the other ported maps. That shouldn't be a problem with most of the others stages, though. Only Temple, Complex, Caves and Library lack the path network, and the mission stages may require only slight modification to theirs.

New Maps:
I'd actually like to do Cradle. It was a toss up between that and Egyptian. But considering the Cradle could benefit from a few BG touch-ups, I decided to leave it be. Some of the ramps don't quite connect together, leaving gaps in the architecture. Some of it is easy to remedy, but others are more troublesome. This leads to issues with clipping, which would need to be manually adjusted. Still, it's one I would like to get to. The Bunker ii would be great, as well.

New Characters:
I have all of the main character heads ported, but not their bodies. You can expect to see the Biker head, as well as another body next patch. Might even just toss in another head for the hell of it.

New Weapons:
This one is harder to say, but the Sniper Rifle will make an appearance soon. These aren't as easy to port as I'd like them to be, since some have moving parts. I won't mention anything specific, because I don't want to disappoint.

New Music:
If all goes well with the music (being handled by Sub and DB), you should be hearing most of the tracks in the next release. I'm really looking forward to hearing these, as I won't have a chance to for nearly a week. It's torture! Razz

Updates:
There are some things that were released which need improvement. The bodies and heads need their RGB handling upgraded for blood stains. As of right now, they literally become covered in blood in only a few shots. I think I saw some heads go red in a single shot to the face. The Phantom needs the muzzle flare / bullet origin position corrected. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to do it. Golden Gun's is off slightly, but is far less noticable. Egyptian path network extension is really important. Letting the sims navigate the whole map is key. Building a path network for each of the other levels is quite the task, but will need to be done in order for them to be played to their full extent. I need to add cases to Library. Might rethink the hills, reorder some weapons, and add the ammo crates in for the armour conversions. Blah-blah, blah, blah... You get the point. Wink

Next Release:
Keeping fingers crossed, but I would think a new release could be in less than two weeks time. Want to make sure there is an acceptable amount of additional content for a new patch. I could've released something nearly two weeks ago, but a lot wouldn't be here. No Brosnan head, no Balaclava head, no Egyptian, no Flag scenarios, no Phantom or Golden Gun. Each release needs to have some level of improvement. Quality control, and all that.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the gaps in Cradle, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, were done intentionally. Doesn't make it any less of a hassle to clip them, of course.

I've been giving some thought to bringing Silo over, but since that's solo-exclusive I don't think it'll be going in the patch anytime soon

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's partly a problem...
If we port a mission-only map and include it in the Combat Simulator, only to remove it at a later date, people will complain when it's gone. I suppose there's no harm in releasing a patch that contains extra maps that didn't make it into the final version, depending on how they perform. Statue and Cradle exist in multiplayer form, so those two are exceptions.

Some of the spots in Cradle almost look like it was because the modellor tried to take a shortcut, or reduce the number of tris it'd take to construct the area. Since there are weird angles, things don't always line up. Again, it's mostly where they used one tri instead of two or three. Those would be a real pain to fix up.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Silo is completely unsuited to multiplayer, even if you limit the area the players can enter. I want to port it over to start experimenting with solo missions. I believe we've found everything needed in terms of action blocks to get it working. With Sub's setup converter, it might actually be simpler than I'm anticipating.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, I was going to do the path networks, but I don't know what stage IDs and files you're using for these.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: