ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Force higher monitor resolution. [Best with CRTs]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What type of monitor are you using?
CRT (Cathode-Ray Tube)
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Dangerousd777
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Force higher monitor resolution. [Best with CRTs] Reply with quote Back to top

I have a ViewSonic GS790 that has a maximum of 1600x1200 76 hz. I have been able to reach 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200, 1920x1440 and 2048x1536 at 60 Hz. I am using 2048x1536 which is 240% larger than 1280x1024 (which is supported at 85 Hz).

Supposedly forcing higher refresh rates and resolutions than what is recommended may cause damage to the monitor, but this is only a $40 dollar monitor these days and that is what it cost me about 4-5 years ago when I first bought it from a neighbor. My friend had a monitor that supported 1280x1024 at 1600x1200 and it took nearly 9 years (from 2001 to 2009) to finally become unusable (too blurry).

My 8600GT does not render very efficiently at 2048x1536 because of video memory and core computation limitations, but I have tried Project 64 1.6 with different plugins at 2048x1536 fullscreen and it looks GREAT! It's much better than using anti-aliasing because it's native. My desktop is huge and the text is ludicrously small, like half newspaper print size.

With LCD this is not possible because LCDs have a native pixel resolution and anything below does not look good and anything above creates a scrolling effect. I only get a scrolling effect when I try to use 2560x1600 and the native res there is 1600x1200. At 2048x1536 my menu is the same size as it is at 1600x1200, as in it encompasses the upper left corner of the screen where it should be and the rest of the screen is just the way it is.

This is not to say that LCDs are incapable of reaching higher resolutions, some are able to, most are not able to, you will have to try it out, and you will not damage your monitor because of a safety mechanism known as the "[Signal is] Out of Range" message you will get against a black screen including the resolution and refresh rate you were trying to use. If this happens, you should wait for the resolution or refresh to revert or simply restart.

I am trying to find games that support 2048x1536 fullscreen, Deus Ex does not, only up to 1600x1200/1680x1050 and Oblivion takes too much GPU usage and memory at 2048x1536 even at the lowest settings.

Upon discovery of this I'm like WOW! Greater than HD resolution for such a cheap price, and it looks so amazing! I can view images above 1600x1200 at their native res and I have so much desktop space that I can do everything at once without needing to alt-tab.

Which of you have CRTs and what resolution and refresh rate are you using? If you have Windows you should try right clicking your desktop, left clicking properties, left click the settings tab and change your resolution but try clicking advanced and switch to the monitor tab and uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". Be careful with your refresh rate, leave it at 60 Hz default and try higher monitor resolutions carefully.

There is a program called PowerStrip that allows you to change the pixel clock, horizontal and vertical porch and fine-tune the resolution and refresh rate. It works with every video card and display but it is only for Windows operating systems, albeit all Windows OS from 3.1 and 95 to Windows Vista and 7.

You can even overclock your video card with this application and change practically everything about your display.

My pixel clock at 2048x1536 is 267.300 MHz and my scan rate is 95.464 kHz. My refresh rate is exactly 60.078 Hz.

I haven't been successful in really changing this to something more suitable, I don't want to greatly exceed the bandwidth on this monitor much.

It should be fine, I've been using this resolution for 2 days straight without a hitch. If I set an incompatible refresh rate, say 70 hz @ 1600x1200 then this monitor flickers like crazy until I change the refresh and turn it off and turn it on. Instead I just restart since that is easier and doesn't stress the monitor for long.

Modern monitors have an "[Signal is] Out of Range" message when you exceed the suitable range in either resolution or refresh rate to avoid damage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: