ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Russian Commander
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Russian Commander Reply with quote Back to top

After several hours, I officially ported in the russian commander. I took the images from the GE image editor, saved them, went to the PD editor, and over wrote them and made several tweaks. I'm very happy with my results.

Front of guard:

Back of guard:

A GE head and a commander hat would be appreciated to =]

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely a very cool rendition of the Commandant. He looks more combat-ready, like he could really deal some damage. I'd have thought that resizing the textures from GE might make them look more blurry or pixelated, but it doesn't look bad at all. Excellent work on him, AC67. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you very much, Wreck. =] And so did I, because when you tried to resize the textures, it went plexilated, but when you let go of your mouse, they went smooth. [In paint.NET] I'm very suprised.

radorn

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, it looks very nice, so congrats, ac67! Wink

Second, I would like someone clarifies this to me.
Why is everyone always talking about resizing textures? UV coords are "pixel-agnostic", that is, they go from 0 to 1 (or -1, -4, +2, +5, etc if you are to repeat the texture along a surface) in each dimension. 0 is the start of the dimension and 1 is the start of the next repetition. They don't measure pixels, but relative positions between the start and end of a texture.
Because of the computers uses more or less all of you know about I haven't been able to use the editor much, so when all of you guys talk about resizing textures to apply them I find it puzzling. Could someone explain it to me? it could be in private if you don't want to disrupt the thread.

Finally, even if it looks very nice, I think it looks too much like a PD model, and I'm worried it would stand out when seen besides other original GE models.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good job acceptable67. It look like it take a long time to get it rite.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure about character models, but I know for backgrounds the UV coordinates don't work as you'd expect them to. A good example is a 32x48 texture. The editor can't import BG's the use these sized textures correctly, even using GE/PD's textures. Your first instinct might be to import 32x64 instead, then later edit the BG to use the 32x48 texture instead. If you do that, assuming a texture is mapped to a wall so that it only repeates once, you'll get a 48 pixel tall texture with the other 16 pixels being "stretched" from the last row, basically a solid-color strip. GE/PD's coords are dependent on the texture's size, unlike normal UV coords. Sub posted the formula to convert normal UV coords to GE/PD coords somewhere before, but I didn't think to save a local copy.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD and GE used a different method of texturing their bodies. In GoldenEye, a torso would basically be a chest and a back. But in Perfect Dark, they used multiple images to skin them. A chest could use four textures, rather than just the one. So to "re-skin" a PD body, you'd need to resize the original GE image and split it up accordingly. It's basically just swapping out one for another, without making any edits to the actual model itself.

radorn

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I faced the 32x48 texture problem with Fort Knox. I used one of the originals of that size (without reimporting, just referencing the textures from the original ROM) for the windows and in game it appeared with the lower part all garbled ON HARDWARE. Not sure how it would have looked like under emulation.
But what about the accepted sizes 32x32 and 32x64? Wouldn't they be interchangeable?

EDIT: @Wreck: so what do you think about mixing PD and GE models?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
But what about the accepted sizes 32x32 and 32x64? Wouldn't they be interchangeable?

I doubt it. You'd probably end up with the same stretching, but I've never tried.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mixing models from both games? Depending on which PD model it is that is being used, it might look too different from the others. I know many of the heads would stand out too much. The bodies are constructed somewhat differently. Even the dinner jackets can be told apart, if you're looking at the right features. This re-skin is very nice, but I don't think it'd fit in with the other GoldenEye bodies that are direct ports. It depends on where this project goes, and how it evolves over time.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I like his legs, there very detailed - he has buttons on his arse?
The torso does however end up blured when seen next to the legs...

Why is it the editor cant support the 48 texture size, it seems to me if it could it would solve a lot of issues...

--To finish comment later, Im of to work

Trev

acceptable67

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
PD and GE used a different method of texturing their bodies. In GoldenEye, a torso would basically be a chest and a back. But in Perfect Dark, they used multiple images to skin them.

Yes, and then it got hard at that point. I had to break the image up into pieces to fit them in with the PD image. But I pulled it off, and they came out even.

Trevor wrote:
Well, I like his legs, there very detailed - he has buttons on his arse?

The image I used wrapped all around the waist, I cannot fix that my friend =]

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Of course he has buttons on his arse...
It's the new state-of-the-art combat uniform, complete with rear flap. Now you can stop and defecate on the fly, without the need to drop your trousers, potentially tripping you up during a surprise attack. It could just save your life! Razz

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
It's the new state-of-the-art combat uniform, complete with rear flap. Now you can stop and defecate on the fly, without the need to drop your trousers, potentially tripping you up during a surprise attack. It could just save your life!

lol Funny Laughing

acceptable67

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
It's the new state-of-the-art combat uniform, complete with rear flap. Now you can stop and defecate on the fly, without the need to drop your trousers, potentially tripping you up during a surprise attack. It could just save your life! Razz

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: