ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Can modified levels and stuff run on emulators?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Can modified levels and stuff run on emulators? Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can I run the new Goldeneye and Perfect Dark levels on an N64 emulator?

I have the Equaliser (a PAL Gameshark) for my N64, but it's not exactly reliable, though when it has worked it was great. I had Perfect Dark multiplayer working in Chicago Streets, and in the modified Crash Site, but the Equaliser is so temperamental that I haven't used it in years. But now, I've retried the Surreal N64 emulator for the XBox (which used to run GE and PD very badly), and whilst it's still not prefect by any means, it's good enough to use to play the mods (as opposed to bot being able to play the mods at all), if of course the mods will work on the emulated ROM.

So is there a program that will alter the GE and PD ROM files so as to apply the new levels and whatever, and if so, will the emulator run these modified ROMs correctly?

Thanks for any answers.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

new levels nowadays are released as binary patches (IPS or Xdelta) that you apply to ROMs. AR/GS codes are not as popular nowadays.
So the answer would probably yes.
Then again, I don't know how surreal on the xbox works. In n64 emus for PC specific emulation options have to be configured for EACH game. These settings are normally provided in an INI file (or RDB in the case of PJ64) that contains known ROMs' hashes (md5 normally) for identification and the corresponding settings.
I don't know how this whole thing works in that emulator for xbox, you'll have to look it up yourself unless someone else here knows, but the basic idea is that you'll probably have to copy GE or PD settings over to each hacked ROM you intend to play within whichever system the emu uses to keep track of emulation settings.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I'll try it and let you know how I get on.

dickalan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes it does work! Well... most of them anyway. I do it all the time. You don't have to do ANYTHING different to play it on Surreal64 B5.4. The settings in this emulator have been continually improving, making the Goldeneye & perfect dark experience WAY better. Once you're done applying your IPS or xdelta patch using the Editor, just FTP into your xbox and put the rom in the surreal rom folder. Once you start up Surreal hit "Y" to refresh the rom list. Then you can play the hacked game. Again no need to do anything special to get THAT far.

HOWEVER, as radorn stated for some reason SOME of the IPS and Xdelta patches CHANGE the rom in way that Surreal no longer recognizes it as Goldeneye or a Perfect Dark rom and then for some reason it DOES recognize others. I have no idea why. This is extremely annoying when you want to play a hack such a mod to the Cradel level, which is at the very end of the game. The saved data you might have in a regular Goldeney rom stored in Surreal will not show up in an unrecognized hacked Goldeneye rom. Hence, you have to beat the whole game AGAIN, to get to that point.

Does anybody here no how to get a hacked rom to show up in Surreal? I've heard it works off crc values. I've tried putting those in the Surreal ini, but it didn't work... any more ideas out there?.... please don't tell me to ask at xbox scene... the answer to this question really involves the two communities coming together. People here may not know enough about Surreal, and people over there may not know enough about these patches. Besides I've already asked over there... without much luck...

THANKS!!!

dickalan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've also noticed that when I apply a ISP patch it'll say sometimes "Warning! Checksm Recalculated" --I don't want that to happen! How do I stop that?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know a lot about this specific topic, but I do know that the CRC Checksum in the ROM header will change if certain files are modified. Without being updated, the game simply won't run. Not all customized GE ROM's will require that the Checksum be recalculated, as there isn't enough (or any) changed data near the upper portion of the ROM. Those will match the header of regular GoldenEye just fine. But those that incorporate heavier changes, will no longer match. With PC emulators, you can adjust the ROM settings to mimic the original, such as Project 64. Mupen64 is another good one. But as far as on an Xbox goes, I really have no idea. Sorry I can't help you out with that.

Is it possible to replace the CRC value setup for the GoldenEye 007 NTSC ROM on your Xbox with the one listed in the new ROM you want to play?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

doesn't the editor incorporate the rn64crc tool to take care of that so produced roms have correct CRCs?

I'm wondering if that surreal emu identifies roms by header product id + crcs...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And if all instances don't match up, it isn't recognized correctly. I gotcha.
That could very well be a possibility.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

dickalan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Is it possible to replace the CRC value setup for the GoldenEye 007 NTSC ROM on your Xbox with the one listed in the new ROM you want to play?

That's a good idea, I've been ADDING additional custom ones, but I'll just try replacing a current one.

radorn wrote:
doesn't the editor incorporate the rn64crc tool to take care of that so produced roms have correct CRCs?

I'm wondering if that surreal emu identifies roms by header product id + crcs...

I have no idea...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: