ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[Map] Facility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ive decided to optimize the clipping in this level, i was looking at it the other day and i realised just how many extra clipping tiles i used that just arnt needed, i believe i can take about a third of the clipping tiles away, ive made a start anyway.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, excellent. I was actually thinking about this. I'm a little bit ridiculous when it comes to optimization, myself. I figure there should only be what is necessary, and no more. I'll go over the walls and manipulate tiles so that they fill a larger area, rather than use multiple spread out. That's one of the reasons why I haven't gotten back to Bunker ii. I just know how long it's going to take trying to reduce tiles and precisely size them. Hehe, I even bugged Sub about getting the 4-Point tiles to work, so the files would be smaller. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
[...]

I even bugged Sub about getting the 4-Point tiles to work, so the files would be smaller. Razz

Wreck, mind that quads could be more processor intensive than tris, even if they take up for smaller files. Negligible size savings could result in noticeable performance losses.

I can't say for sure this is the case, though, I'm just poiting out to the possibility of it.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Im going to restart the clipping for this map too, like with archives and train when its done it will be just like goldenye and massively optimised.

Theres a few tweeks ide like to make to the VR setup like the pad sizes need reducing and the unused pads need deleting plus other stuff, looking forward to getting stuck in.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
Wreck, mind that quads could be more processor intensive than tris, even if they take up for smaller files. Negligible size savings could result in noticeable performance losses.

I can't say for sure this is the case, though, I'm just poiting out to the possibility of it.

The original PD setups actually use quads almost exclusively, and use a lot more than necessary, so I don't think they'd be an issue in the GE ports.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quads use less space than tris in the binary, so that was probably Rare's motivation. I have no idea if in their algorithm tris or quads are more efficient.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Someone had probably better test this then...

Maybe some sort of complex model identical except one made of tries and one of Quads... make that 3 then, One tries (About double that of quads) one of quads and one of the same number of tries as the one with quads, i.e. same face count.

Trev

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't support quads cause I can't get it to work, so it's a moot point anyways ;p

Trevor wrote:
Someone had probably better test this then...

Maybe some sort of complex model identical except one made of tries and one of Quads... make that 3 then, One tries (About double that of quads) one of quads and one of the same number of tries as the one with quads, i.e. same face count.

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've changed the glass back to being indestructible, but you can still hit an opponent through it with a weapon that has penetrative power. So, even though it won't get broken out anymore, that doesn't mean you shouldn't fear a Simulant who's carrying an AR33 or RC-P90 on the other side...

I have also tweaked most of the doors in the map, even if just slightly, to better fit in the frames. The gray swingers that move in both directions now open slightly more than the ninety-degree angle they usually do. I liked how PD had them, so I've gone with that style. Most of the glass was also a little out of place, so each pane has been adjusted accordingly.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never even noticed that they were slighty out, nice to hear you corrected it.

What made you decide against the breakable glass?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It was just after thinking about it, and reviewing some of the videos from YouTube in my mind, that the glass breaking seemed... wrong. PD went one step further than GE, by preventing penetrative rounds from even going through it. Since both had the glass indestructible, I figured it was successful in each. Besides, if you have the right weapon in-hand, you can still attack an opponent through it. It actually does involve a sort of strategy, really. Certain changes I'm willing to try out, but if they don't feel quite right, there's always something else to fall back on.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, havn't posted in a few weeks my pc died, good news is i got a new one and its a lot faster than the old one.
I got straight back into GoldenEye X and my first job is to complete this reclip of facility, ive now finished the whole front zone and am currently working on the back zone, hopfuly wont take me to long and so far ive reduced the clipping file by about 20% before it was huge and messy Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds excellent, 00action.
It also speeds things up if you keep clipping types in their own files. Like solid walls, solid floors, railings / invisible barriers, non-collision walls, etc. With them all saved separately, you can lump them together in the Editor with the the "Import Additional Clipping" option. The less you have loaded at one time, the quicker the processing is. Smile

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a realy good idea, i wish ide thought of that when i had my slower pc, maby i would of got the clipping done alot faster.

Facility Re-Clip Progress: Im about 90% done, only 1 last room to go now and then some final tweeks and i should be done.

Ive also got a lot of work done on the Mission Setup file, i think il post a picture of this soon.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think many of the important objects in Facility have been ported, right? All I can think of right now is that swivel chair, and Doak's door decoder. There may be something else, but I'd have to look at my list to be certain.

I'm sure everyone would be excited to see some more mission in-progress shots from GE:X. It's going to be very interesting, with 2-Player modes and voice overs (and other surprises!).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: