ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

G14Classified wrote:
I did want to take an opportunity, and share one of the aspects of perfect dark that always bothered me, that is the way explosives work on PD, the way explosions do not clip like they used to on GE. Below an example,

They nailed it on GE, then really messed up the explosions on PD, the epicenter of the explosion suddenly floats. Wonder if that can be fixed or if anybody even noticed that?

Also is it possible to bring the shrapnel back?
Yes I would like to know if the explosions can be fixed to how they were in GE as well. After all, Wreck did manage to fix the explosion type for the Fuel Barrels.

I have no idea what the shrapnel is? Care to explain?

Wondering is it possible some how to update the introduction screen and somehow implement the bleeding drip animation onto the "X" logo to make it turn red? Example: maybe replace the spinning N logo for the "X" logo and have the X be a silver color until it stops spinning and the blood drips down (like how it did in the original GE game) turning the X red. Or the X does not have to spin at all instead you just see the X drip into the blood animation and then the words GoldenEye appear from behind the X. Just an idea.

Also has there been any progress on bringing back the Muzzle flickering for automatics and power weapons? I know Pavarini told me the muzzle flares are micro or hard coded into the weapon IDs and so I was wondering if either Wreck or SubDrag have looked onto it yet?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No idea how to change how the explosions work in that regard. And the fuel barrel explosions still existed in PD, but for whatever reason I had been using the wrong type from very early on.

The shrapnel are the little pieces that fly all over when the explosion first goes off. Similar to when you shoot a wall.

As for the intro, I do need to update the logo at some point. It was a very weird process, which was mostly handled by SubDrag. He didn't sound too excited when I mentioned before about updating it, hehe.

Where the muzzle flash is, the size, the colour, and the images used for it, are stored in the weapon model. However, how the game handles them in the first place is somewhere else. We're not sure where to even begin there.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, so is there is a chance you might find a hidden data left from GE for the explosion positions the blood overlay when you die as well as the muzzle flicker just like the barrel explosions? Or are they completely different things and hardcoded?

Gotta tell you Wreck, I was impressed when you guys changed the Iris Door functions, disabled the Shields when wearing armor, and the barrel explosions, thought they were all hardcoded.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just doing a bit of observation on the explosion behavior in GE/PD.

In GE, the explosion epicenter is wherever the ordinance goes off. A fire Sprite (2d Rectangles always facing player, possibly g*SPScisTextureRectangle() although reading further it seems more likly that they are real 3D quads that are always rotated to face the camera) is then drawn centered around this. Shrapnel also is centered and extends in all directions (these are 3D and do not face any perticular diretion, in fact they spin.)
Lastly smoke is drawn again centered around the epicenter.

PD has a few cases,
If an explosion happens in mid air or on any non-floor stan tile (like a wall or ladder)
GE rules apply

If an explosion happens on a normal Stan Tile, the Fire is moved up 1.8m but the smoke remains at the epicenter.

N-Bombs are around epicenter

There is a curious exception to the Stan Tile uplift in Facility.
In the tank toom with one tank lying flat on the ground and the other proped against the wall (blue tanks, not grey) then all explosions regardless where placed act as GE.
Step out into the hall and floor landings result in uplift again.

I hope this makes sence to someone, Im thinking it has something to do with Stans, maybe to stop hurting people in multi-leveld maps in Combat Sim where detonating a mine on a floor above another combatant could result in that combatent loosing health.

Trev

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The blood on the screen effect in GE was a specialized 1bit RLE image set, where the images are decompressed and offset from themselves a few times to create a feathered edge. I wrote an extractor for this ages ago and tagged the code for it, but it's not a simple copy/paste into PD by any means.

Muzzle fire effects were done in an entirely different way in GE. They're a single image, unanimated. The flicker existed to make it less tacky.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got around to testing what Trevor was saying on explosion behavior in the Felicity in tank rooms and he is right.

The one that has one laying flat on the ground and another against the wall, more particular on the space behind those tanks. The explosives clip right through, hopefully this can help pinpoint what causes this.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd never noticed that PD sometimes 'relocates' the centre of an explosion, and I agree that it does seem strange.

Trevor wrote:
Just doing a bit of observation on the explosion behavior in GE/PD.
PD has a few cases,
If an explosion happens in mid air or on any non-floor stan tile (like a wall or ladder)
GE rules apply

What does 'stan' mean, please? Is it a place (floor tile, ladder, etc) where the player is effectively standing (i.e. where the game says the player is at that moment in time)?

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, commonly refered to around the community as clipping eg Tbg_run_all_p_stanZ.

Since Ive been doing various things related to rendering etc I have come to start using Rare's terms to differentiate from clipping which is actually a cull process.

eg, If you have a triangle that is bigger than the screen, it is clipped. As it is stated that this a computationaly expencive process and triangles dont just dissapear, I assume it is like a knife tool in Modeling programs where new verticies are added and the clipped ones are eliminated.
At this point I digress and become a seperate discussion.

Rare made a seperate object for where a player or objects can Stand (based on the visible model), and so, they became known as Stans.
PD then slightly changed it to non-Standing tiles too, but are still refered to as Stans.

MartinHolis wrote:

... GoldenEye used 'stans' which were coded in 'stan.c': a

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/228bn4/3d_collisions_how_old_hardware_was_dealing_with/cgm41k5

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know I always wondered about that myself! I figured that it had to do with whoever had programmed it giving it that name (happens A LOT) and then it just stuck. Actually really interesting Smile

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well it doesn't seem like things like the Bleeding animation, muzzle flicker, and explosion style are easy tasks. Maybe with time once the GE-X team look more deeper into the root of the rom they can find areas where they have yet to look that may have the information they need to put in such things into the mod. If not, would it be hard to contact the creator of GE and PD to see if he can help with some issues in the PD engine?

On to Weapons. I am curious. Are we going to be getting reworks done like mentioned in the 5d-beta thread? Meaning things discussed previously like...
    •Seeker having a new 007 type skin layout for the launcher and missile models.
    •The Unfinished RC-P90 reload animations and tweaks.
    •Sniper Rifle tweaking.
    •Shotgun and Automatic Shotgun tweaking.
    •Watch Laser having it's original arm and hand rig animations.
    •Remote Detonator having it's own weapon slot and function as it did in GE007 for the Remote Mines.
    •Slappers/Chops animations being implemented.

Have any of those weapon tasks been looked at yet?

P.S. Regarding the Taser having the disarm function. I am cool with it being implemented for the Taser only as a secondary function. It won't be part of the normal action like it was in PD. So it won't be too annoying and out there. Think of it being exclusively for the Taser. Makes the Taser more of a special weapon/item. Would probably give Thief Sim something to do hehehe.

nakata6790
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello everyone. Long time lurker here, decided to join the fun.

First of all, i would like to thank all contributors and people in charge of the GoldenEye X project, I really enjoy GoldenEye X (i have completed all combat scenarios on Not64 on my Wii console & now making my way on my PC via Project64). Reading that future GE-X versions will feature campaign missions redone in the PD engine has me salivating. Great times ahead!

Now, i post in this thread cause i wanted to ask a question, about something i thought. IIRC, Perfect Dark used an mp3 codec (by Thomson?) to playback it's music. So if GE-X runs on the PD engine, could it feature remixed or improved mp3 versions of some levels' themes?

Example. for the cradle level, sth like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9p8RfUqR6A

or any of the uncompressed GE music, in place of the vanilla GE 64 ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud16_ptL90Y

Just a thought, idk if that would be techically feasible. Anyways, many thanks for the great work already done and have a great 2016.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, and thanks for posting! Glad to hear you are enjoying the game. How well does it play on your Wii console? I've often heard that N64 emulation on consoles can be a little less than satisfactory.

For the MP3s used in Perfect Dark, I believe that only goes as far as the voice recordings used by characters in missions and cinema scenes. The music is MIDI, and so you really can't use an MP3 for level theme music. I think the game may only be able to play one MP3 at a time, so even if you did have music in that format, when a character goes to speak, one would likely cancel out the other. Shame, I know. I have heard some pretty awesome renditions of GE tracks, and it would have been nice to utilize them.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Most of the work done by people on GE remixes are done via midi and soundfonts, so, theoretically, they could import the soundfonts and their midi file.

If Im not mistaken, GoldenZen signed up here at one point.

Midi is far more efficient for sountracks than mp3, what differentiates good midi (like ge/pd) from bad "midi sounding" (Rougue Squadron, Doom) is the use, or lack of, soundfonts.

Banjo is a great example of some environmental effects that cannot be done via mp3.

Trev

nakata6790
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for the info, Wreck Smile
No worries, midi can sound awesome as well. Like how the intro with the GE-X logo is a midi rendition of Tina Turner's GoldenEye and it sounds great none the less.

Now about N64 emulation on Wii, well there was a fork of Wii64 called Not64 back in 2014 that improved speed by quite a lot as well as updating sound plugins and performance.

GoldenEye and Pefect Dark in particular, are quite playable and i have completed both on 00 Agent/Perfect Agent. There are some speed drops or graphics issues (no corona lights or camspy rendering, no blur after being punched or drugged in Perfect Dark, no sky texture on GE) but nothing so big as to make them unplayable. As for GE-X, Combat Simulator with sims runs almost perfect with 1 player, splitscreen does not function correctly however. Second half of the screen is flashing or not showing gameplay.
I have not tried with 3 or 4 players, so i cannot comment on those instances.

What i do like though is that Wiimote and nunchuck controls, alongside IR are a great way to control the games (1.2 in game setting). Wiimote IR is for aiming, Wiimote B is N64 Z trigger to shoot, Nunchuck analog is N64 analog stick (after all, the nunchuck is essentially the N64 middle prong), Wiimote A is aiming (akin to ADS on modern fps games), Nunchuck Z & c are N64 A and B (reload/open doors/change function and change weapon/weapon wheel). Finally Wiimote dpad is N64 c buttons. BTW this is totally remapable and customisable (meaning that if you fancy, you can have N64 Z = Nunchuck Z, Wiimote B and A = N64 B and A etc) , i just assign the buttons like these for GE and PD.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The death jingle .. can get rid of the trumpets and use the shortened one with just the guitar pluck ?

After hearing so many trumpets it irritates me a bit =\

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: