ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New graphics card's resolution smaller than usual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: New graphics card's resolution smaller than usual. Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I just upgraded off my on-board Radeon X1250 [Max res: 1920 X 900] and bought a fresh brand new Radeon HD 4550. Only bought it so it could handle my game's a lot better. But one thing I realized was not correct.

My monitor is 19" [1440 X 900 Native], but the graphics card MAX res is 1440 X 900.

It's really supposed to be in the 2XXX by 1XXX

Something is wrong with this graphics card's resolution... I mean com'on, my On-board has a higher res!

What if I wanted a monitor bigger than a 19"? That's what I was planning to do. But I guess I mise well just buy some 19" monitor and live with a dual monitor setup while I search for a solution on how to increase this graphics card resolution.

So I was wondering, have any of you ever had a problem like this? And ever found a solution?

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

video modes have to be programmed in the driver. it's not clear to me why some cards or its drivers lack certain modes. sometimes it depends on how the driver/card combination reacts to the info they read from your monitor.

anyway, the highest resolution mode available to you is that of your monitor's native resolution, so what's the problem?

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
video modes have to be programmed in the driver. it's not clear to me why some cards or its drivers lack certain modes. sometimes it depends on how the driver/card combination reacts to the info they read from your monitor.

anyway, the highest resolution mode available to you is that of your monitor's native resolution, so what's the problem?

Well yes, I was relieved that it was, but what if I want something bigger?

I mean, a 20" is 1600 X 900, 22 - 23 1920 X 900. What am I going to do?

Is it a driver problem? Because I really want it fixed.

Edit: It could POSSIBLY.. I got the drivers off the website, they were the correct ones.... so I couldn't see what's wrong with it

[My DVR is messed up. It's not detecting any discs so I had to get it off the website.]

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was trying to explain that it's possible that the drivers of your new card hide those video modes that are not compatible with your monitor. but I ca'nt make any promises.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
I was trying to explain that it's possible that the drivers of your new card hide those video modes that are not compatible with your monitor. but I ca'nt make any promises.

Yeah I know. But they should give me MORE than what I have right now.

oxidice
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Radorn is right that Windows just hide those resolutions not avaible for your monitor and it doesn't show whats your graphic cards max resolution and I don't think you should care much about that since that card will surely support higher resolution if you get bigger monitor. But anyway since you also happen to have AMD HD4000/5000 series card like I do (which use same drivers) higher resolutions are hidden even if you look at them from Catalyst Control center so there really isn't any problem.

acceptable67 wrote:

Tbh it shouldn't since resolutions which are above your native resolution are hidden and you shouldn't be much concerned about it either. For newer cards max resolutions for single monitors are video output dependent for my card DVI&Display port outputs support up to 2560x1200 resolution, HDMI support 1920x1200 and VGA support 2048x1536 as you see these are all different max resolutions and you can check these real max resolution for your card from AMD site.

Also your old X1250 card was developed way before implementation of ATI eyefinity techology which allows 2-3 monitors (well HD5870 6 eyefinity edition support 2-6 monitors) to act as one monitor and for me absolute max resolution would be ridicilous 5760x1200 and as you can see you can plugin multiple monitors with variety of resolutions, which would generate nearly inifinite amount of resolutions and i think that might be partly reason why newer Catalyst Control Centers also hide max resolutions.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oxidice wrote:
Radorn is right that Windows just hide those resolutions not avaible for your monitor and it doesn't show whats your graphic cards max resolution and I don't think you should care much about that since that card will surely support higher resolution if you get bigger monitor. But anyway since you also happen to have AMD HD4000/5000 series card like I do (which use same drivers) higher resolutions are hidden even if you look at them from Catalyst Control center so there really isn't any problem.

acceptable67 wrote:

Tbh it shouldn't since resolutions which are above your native resolution are hidden and you shouldn't be much concerned about it either. For newer cards max resolutions for single monitors are video output dependent for my card DVI&Display port outputs support up to 2560x1200 resolution, HDMI support 1920x1200 and VGA support 2048x1536 as you see these are all different max resolutions and you can check these real max resolution for your card from AMD site.

Also your old X1250 card was developed way before implementation of ATI eyefinity techology which allows 2-3 monitors (well HD5870 6 eyefinity edition support 2-6 monitors) to act as one monitor and for me absolute max resolution would be ridicilous 5760x1200 and as you can see you can plugin multiple monitors with variety of resolutions, which would generate nearly inifinite amount of resolutions and i think that might be partly reason why newer Catalyst Control Centers also hide max resolutions.

Oh, so your saying, if I buy a bigger monitor, the resolution would increase?

oxidice
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Basically yes

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oxidice wrote:
Basically yes

Alright, thanks.

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dont worry, the card can make bigger resolutions.
I have this GTS250 now, and if my HD television isn't attached it shows only resolutions up to my old monitors max (1280x1024), when I plug my telly in it gives me tons of more options (up to 26XXx20XX something... Very Happy ).

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fantsu wrote:
Dont worry, the card can make bigger resolutions.
I have this GTS250 now, and if my HD television isn't attached it shows only resolutions up to my old monitors max (1280x1024), when I plug my telly in it gives me tons of more options (up to 26XXx20XX something... Very Happy ).

Ah, alright, thanks Fantsu. What a relief.

Last edited by acceptable67 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:

Ah, alright, thanks Fatsu. What a relief.

acceptable67 wrote:

thanks Fatsu.

acceptable67 wrote:

Fatsu

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose that's still better than fatso. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA

That was such a typo

*facepalm*

Fantsu!!

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol Fatsu thats funny. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: