ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye's certification screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: GoldenEye's certification screen Reply with quote Back to top

You're probably familiar with this screen:

I think it's well known that this screen spoofs the British Board of Film Classification's "certification screen." It appears before all films in Britain, and indicates what age group the film is appropriate for. Here's the real screen, if you've never seen it before.

This is a classic example of Rare's humor and forward thinking. Only recently have developers really made an effort to make games feel like more like films- Mass Effect's film grain, WET's grindhouse motif, and Day of Defeat's depth of field and color correction are all very recent examples. GoldenEye was very much ahead of its time in including this screen, even if its effect was lost on North American players.

That's all well and good, but it turns out that GoldenEye is not the first Bond game to reference this screen. Here's the opening screen of Domark's The Spy Who Loved Me, released in 1990 for many popular computer systems.

Looks familiar, no? TSWLM goes a step further by emulating an early VCR, complete with an "Adjusting Tracking" message along the bottom of the screen. Laughing You can see this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ1C0Yk1ud8

(Keep watching to hear the best rendition of the James Bond theme ever made. Truly a thing of beauty. Rolling Eyes Yes, it uses hip hop samples. Yes, the "hit it" voice is probably inspired by, if not sampled from, Rob Base's "It Takes Two." I know you want to download it. You can do so here: http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=107835)

So what I'm wondering is whether Rare came up with this idea on their own, or borrowed it from TSWLM. We know they used ideas from other Bond films besides GoldenEye (Live and Let Die's magnetic watch, for instance), so it seems likely that they would have played earlier Bond games for inspiration. But who knows?

Probably a very minor observation, but I've never seen anyone mention this before. Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As you pointed out, many of us North American gamers would never have known about this. Actually, I had no idea. It's really a very interesting and fun fact, though. Thanks for sharing this with all of us here, Pacman. Excellent find. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Shocked Wow i never no that good find.

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

why limit it to uk and usa? I'm from Spain and this is also new to me Razz

I'm glad to finally know what this thing was about. In recent times I was wondering about it, so thanks for the info. Another mistery solved!

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've always been aware of this, and presumed that it was universal. Oh well, I guess that you learn something new everyday!

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's really cool.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I actually never knew this! Very cool. Still learn things about the game every day.

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought everyone would know it.

Also President is James Bond

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol nice
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Spyster wrote:
I thought everyone would know it.

Also President is James Bond

And the Vice President is the game's lead designer, Martin Hollis! Laughing

I must admit I'm a bit surprised so few people knew about this, I always thought of it as something all GE fanatics knew- like the beakers in Facility or the mirrored tower in the Dam. Shocked

Thanks for the kind comments, I'm glad you all enjoyed this little find. GoldenEye really is full of surprises, that's why it'll always be considered a classic. Cool

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^what do you mean the mirrored towers in the dam?

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BGS wrote:
^what do you mean the mirrored towers in the dam?

Laughing Laughing I was wondering if someone would post that!

Here's the first tower you'll see when you head out on the dam itself:

Here's the second.

And the third. Notice anything strange here? Shocked

Maybe it's become second nature to you by now, but I guarantee you noticed this on your first Secret Agent run.

While we're on the subject, here's another oddity about the towers. Each one is numbered. Just go down the steps inside the tower, and right past the gate you'll see that tower's number.

Here's tower 1:

Tower 2:

And tower 3:

Wait, 4? Did I get the pictures all messed up? Nope. It's been said that tower 1 is the famous one on the island behind the dam, but it isn't actually numbered. It's probably just a joke by the developers.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oh cool. I never noticed those before.Mostly because I never finished or played ge on any other difficulty other than agent x3

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, I knew what it was based on, but I've never actually seen a real classification screen before.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: