ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Over-Clock Your N64!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Over-Clock Your N64! Reply with quote Back to top

I found a thread from another forums site detailing how to overclock your N64. For those who do not know what the hell overclocking is, Ill explain. "Overclocking" is a term usually used in the context of computers, witht he most commonly overclocked thing being the processor. Every processor has a "clock" speed, its a speed the processor will not go over for commonly safety reasons, sometimes noise reasons on like a mac or sumthin. The safety reson is this, you dont want your processor to overheat. Because overheating causes things to blow up. And generally, when things blow up, they dont work anymore. Very Happy Thus when you overclock your processor, its generally a good idea to combat heat with a: better or more fans and air circulation. b: water circulation (gotta know what youre doing) or c: refridgeration (abit costly). Thats why this guy said he has a fan blowing into the processor, otherwise, the game will freeze. OK, its not that dangerous, the game will likely freeze when it overheats and you can just turn it off and let it cool, but just dont be stupid. If you overclock it too much, it will cause damage.

Anyway, Here is the link: http://forums.n-sider.com/showthread.php?t=3396

Its tempting, especially for Perfect Dark, but I dont think im gonna do this, I really dont want to get another N64 if I break mine doing it. Although they must be really cheap now, if you find em used somewhere ... If anybody attempts this, please post about it.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That procedure causes timing problems, because increasing the multiplier only increases the CPU speed, making the CPU and RCP run out of sync.

I found out that the CPU is actually underclocked, because the system bus speed is regulated by the RCP, which only runs at 62.5 Mhz instead of the 66 Mhz the CPU was designed for.

Maybe there's a way to increase the RCP speed to 66 MHZ, which would increase the CPU speed, and would allow it and the RCP run in sync as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: