ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE console use
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: GE console use Reply with quote Back to top

Iv seen so many videos and such on people playing levels [custom ones]on console.I keep thinking to my self.....how are they doing that.Iv posted this to see if i can get an insight of how to do so.Is it use of GameShark?
How can this/that be possible?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We are using either Everdrive 64 or 64drive. They are newly made devices to play games on console. They cost about 200 dollars.

Rey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
We are using either Everdrive 64 or 64drive. They are newly made devices to play games on console. They cost about 200 dollars.
But i have seen videos even before i heard those items came out and there playing levels like pathland and such on console.

HackBond

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey wrote:
SubDrag wrote:
But i have seen videos even before i heard those items came out and there playing levels like pathland and such on console.

Gameshark 3.3 I think.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some levels without new bgfiles or clipping and just new text/setup can be uploaded via GS 3.3.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There were older devices too, like the cd64, dr64, etc.

Citadel is an exception to the clipping rule, and I haven't come up with an automated method of loading whole stages with a GS. You can, though, grab replays with one.
Although you could, in fact, play a stage with a new bgfile (or characters or anything else) with a gameshark, it is in fact much more tedious to set up and practically requires a win9x computer to do so.

Rey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dont you need that wire to plug into from the back?i got 3.2 but i am getting a 3.3 soon.Plus that wire i dont even know what its called.

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey wrote:
Dont you need that wire to plug into from the back?i got 3.2 but i am getting a 3.3 soon.Plus that wire i dont even know what its called.

Parallel Port cable.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's really a printer extension cable when you get down to it. Should be a male/female pair.

There's no way you'd ever have enough 'codes' to do some of these things, but by upload and link you can load all sorts of resources.

I'll have to upport by uploader code to later windows systems. I wrote up a 16bit setup uploader that allows you to upload a stage setup just once and reuse it until the console goes off. You can actually do multiple stages that way too. Basically tacks on a patch to allow redirection. Just short a c-complier that runs off a memory stick...

Rey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So there is no hopes of custom levels and GE X type stuff on a gameshark?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Of course there is. Heck, I got Elvis's head and a severed Trev head in once, and Citadel works that way.
GE:X is PD, and as far as stages go all the room textures and geometry are loaded at the start of the map. So, intercept and replace. Should be rather easy, with the minor problem of having to use the PD trainer to even attempt to do it.

As far as GE:
So long as all the modifications you made could be present in ram at any given time, yes, it would work. The ideal would be to send compressed samples to upper memory and reference them. Because of the nature of things, images and objects would wind up in memory until the end of the stage. Rooms would expect to be loaded on-demand though, so during play the entire compressed bg room binary tree would need to be in rdram with the bg file already being formatted to use rdram offsets instead of hardware references (which also requires a patch). The ideal would be to sit in a loop until console sends the resources requested, and specificly alter the trainer to trip the bi-directional flag when a request string is present.
The old method of loading an existing stage and replacing its resources via modification then doesn't work. The only successful method so far is to directly reference the new bg binary already in rdram and have it load itself. That requires its own little piece of patchwork.
It would be annoying and take forever if it couldn't be plastered in one-shot. Still, perfectly doable. For test purposes I've only used backgrounds with existing textures or none at all.

The issue is that automating it isn't the easiest thing. It requires, firstly, patching the hardware read request to accept rdram addresses and redirect to a table already written for the purpose. You also need to know exactly what's going where, have an editted bgfile with rdram offsets, and there's a very, very nasty trick with images to keep them from crashing the game when shot.
In actual fact, its something like a quarter meg to get the TLB load intercept scheme working along with all the patch intercept code embedded to it. Plus, that code has to be custom-tailored to the specific stage+resources you're using. Then you get to dump in the bgfile+resources and hope for the best. It took over 10 minutes to load the ported G5 multi in, and that was without textures. Looked horrible, but worked.

Concider the one-time setup patch trick was concidered too complicated to be placed in the editor, and this is a whole heck of a lot worse.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I must admit I've gone down the new ROM route and backup devices instead of GS device for a couple reasons, mainly because it's not compatible with new PCs, it's unreliable, each load needs it own interceptor, and it's a lot less bang for the buck.

I'd almost rather buy you an ED64 than try and get this working Laughing

Rey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
I must admit I've gone down the new ROM route and backup devices instead of GS device for a couple reasons, mainly because it's not compatible with new PCs, it's unreliable, each load needs it own interceptor, and it's a lot less bang for the buck.

I'd almost rather buy you an ED64 than try and get this working Laughing
Problem with that is that its alot of money,and thats something i dont got.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd hate to imagine getting it working on anything more recent than winME. Even going through a driver and never letting the handle go it still fails half the time.
If my heavily-modded win98 ever dies...well, it better not.

Rey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know i wounder....Is it possible to upgrade your GameShark from a 3.2 to a 3.3?Or get it even stronger then that.Maybe download a problem similar to the everdrive 64 and the 64drive...maybe im thinking a little to far hahaa.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: