ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 Sound Tool
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: N64 Sound Tool Reply with quote Back to top

Ice Mario and I worked together to make this a long time ago, and I have kept meaning to post it. Anyways, it's an open source sound tool for N64 ROMs, which lets you play standard format waves, and lets you add/change waves that are in the game already.

As a caveat, we never figured out how to generate predictors, so it uses a fixed set. If you want to try others to get better sounds, edit the source code, and if you create an algorithm to make them, great!

The source and program is free to distribute and use, as long as mention of the RWP and creators is done.

Have fun! Only some games use this format, so good luck. Most Rare games do. Hopefully source can also be of use to someone.

http://goldeneyevault.com/extras/n64soundlisttool.rar

Note: Requres VS2008 Redistributable

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

great, you finally released it!!
Keeps crashing in my craputer, but it's surely my craputer's fault.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is a very cool tool SubDrag.

Maybe one day this tool can edit the songs in the games to.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, well, I don't think this tool will ever do songs, as there's little relation between editting soundbanks and editting music sequences.

You see, what this tool does is edit soundbanks.
These sounbanks are a format created by SGI for Nintendo as part of the official Nn64 development kit.
The sounbanks store audio samples and related settings and other data.
Each sounbank contains a number of samples. For example, GE has all it's sound samples, including musical instruments and sound effects, in a single soundbank file. PD has 2, one for musical samples and what seem to be environmental sounds (like the intercom of Area 51 where they call Dr Francis and Dr Santiago), and another for all the other sounds, like shots, explosions, steps, and the guards' yields.

This tool can potentially be universal to all games that contain these type of soundbanks because the format is universal since it was provided to all licensed developpers (well, there actually seems to be a number of versions/revisions of the soundbank format, but that's not the point now).

In GE, PD and many other games, music consist of some form of MIDI that uses the samples stored in these soundbanks, but the concrete format can be completelly custom to each game since they have to make their own player program for the game anyway.

The point is soundbanks are more or less standard across games (there are games that use something other than sounbanks too), but music sequences are, for the most part, specific to each game.
To have this edit music in any game would require it to support every separate game out there.

Finally, to add some info for those not aware, the soundbanks seem to support 2 formats for the audio samples. Raw PCM (like a wav file), and vADPCM, a special form of compresion that expresses each sample as 4 bits instead of 8 or 16, but hopefully, without losing quality.

This ADPCM format has to be encoded in 2 steps, aparently. First you have to analyze the sample you want to convert and generate a predictor, which is some mathematical thing that helps the actual encoder to optimize the encoding to achieve the best possible quality, and then you encode using it. Each sample requires it's own predictor, I think.
The problem lies in how to calculate/generate these predictors, as SubDrag said in the announcement.

For now it seems the tool can both extract/decode soundbanks from games and encode new samples to raw pcm and also vadpcm but only with a fixed predictor.
Note that, apparently, not all games support raw pcm, PD beingan example of this.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow thanks for the info Radorn. Smile

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With this tool, would it be possible to take certain sounds from GoldenEye (like the Phantom gun shot, or door open / close effects) and put them into Perfect Dark? Many of the sounds are missing from PD, and will need to be brought over for GE:X. I'm just wondering if you and Ice have already figured out enough about that stuff to get this sort of thing accomplished?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Err, I thought this had already been covered in a tutorial thingy in the vault (or was I seeing the future?)
Something about making them mp3 and then using the setup editor to import into pd?

Oh... Err maybe my mistake if there is a seperet bank for these sounds...

Trev

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, sure can add sounds from GE to PD. Of course, you could already do that with GE Setup Editor!

Also, I can release midi libraries at some point for N64 too, we have that figured out.

Radorn re-install VS2008 redistributable or do dependency walker and fix the MFC DLLs.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just wasn't sure if we'd located certain sound banks in both GE and PD. Are the weapon sounds setup as MP3 files in PD, or different? I'm mainly concerned about door operating sounds, weapon shots, and possible few other recordings (like Samedi's laugh, or the respawning item indication). I can try giving it a look when I return home, and if I have trouble, I'll be sure to PM Sub about it.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Weapon sounds are part of sound bank and we can edit them for both PD and GE, so have fun! And then we can have mp3s for audio.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
For now it seems the tool can both extract/decode soundbanks from games and encode new samples to raw pcm and also vadpcm but only with a fixed predictor.
Note that, apparently, not all games support raw pcm, PD beingan example of this.

Although supported in the documentation, GE is the only game I was able to get raw sounds working. It's very curious. Funnily when we were trying to find raw to get it working, Ice checked every game...except GE.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds good, then. I'll have to import the sound effect for the Phantom, which is clearly using the D5K sample right now. There's also a lot of missing door sounds, which I hope we can get in properly without much hassle. The more PD begins to look like GE, the more it needs to sound like it, as well. Razz

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I installed, deinstalled, reinstalled, fixed, sweared, shouted... at the vs2008 runtime... nothing worked so far. I'm clueless as to how to fix this.

dependency walker says the following:

Quote:
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

It fails to find IESHIMS.DLL and WER.DLL.
MFC90.DLL and MPR.DLL give trouble, throwing the error I posted avobe continuously... these missing "ordinals".

Might someone who has had success in running the program be kind enough to collect the mentioned DLLs from their PC and pack them in a zip for me? Very Happy

Continuing with the talk about sounbanks:

What has been the method of importing samples from GE to PD so far?
I'm interested in knowing whether the samples are decoded from the GE soundbank and re-encoded back into the PD soundbank or if they are just taken from one to the other without any transcoding. Considering that the vADPCM enconding implementation lacks predictor generation, taking the samples in their original form seems the best option... if it's possible at all, of course.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to simply grab the sounbank file from GE and inject it in PD?
After all, are we going to use PD sounds?
I realize about the potential problems of crashes when the game tries to use a sample that doesn't exist... well, I'm just speculating about this.

CharAznable0
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Radorn, the site www.dll-files.com may be useful to you, but I can't guarantee its 100% malware free, so be careful, search for those on this site.

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried many dll sites, included that one, and it still doesn't work Sad
I need to reinstall the OS, but it's a mess, I have nowhere to back things up to make a clean reinstall.

Last edited by radorn on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: