ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GF64 and a PD upgrade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: GF64 and a PD upgrade? Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, this I suppose it to primeraly BUMP this forum and ask the obvious Question... Are we still up for this project?

The next item on the list for this post is, how about once Wreck is finished GEX we put this into GEX? I suppose we could just start puting it into PD but then as we are using a lot of origonal GE textures wed probably be better off waiting till there in.

I know I havnt exactly been fast in making models but I am still wanting this to continue. I am willing to continue making models, Ill just need someone to 'put it all together' as it were.

I would not like to see this become an abandoned project.

Thank you,
Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the problem is that this project is so ambitious. There's so much to do, and most of it is from scratch. All of the levels need to be designed, as well as new props modelled. Most characters could be reskins, but additional weapons aren't so simple. There's also the plot, objectives, and multiplayer to deal with. It's pretty much an entirely new game running on the GoldenEye engine. With only a handful of people donating their time, it's going to take a while to really get moving.

I would also like to see this switched over to PD's engine at some point, should the project continue. There's far more to offer the creators, and more fun for the players. It should remain as a GE mod for the time being, but later be transitioned to GE:X (or PD) when there is enough to make it worth while.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my view on this.

First, the slow advance:
On my behalf this has been caused by a continuated lack of a proper computer. I invested the little money I had last year into buying some stuff to rehabilitate the remains of some really expensive laptop I bought ages ago (stay away from clevo laptops and rebrands or them). The specs were the top in 2004 or so but the quality of the machine was low and problems started soon. long story involving some legal/administrative trouble trying to send it back to the store made short: I put it away for a long time then I decided it was time to try to make use of it again since I was stuck with another craputer.
After assembling all the pieces and having it working again, the ****er died irreparably 1.5 months later.

I started modeling KNOX some months before this, and then tried to continue working on it on the rehabilitated laptop, but it died and put a stop to my work as this computer I use right now is 2001 tech and just doesn't cut it, and xp doesn't seem to like it since it works miserably slow compared to running linux on it.

I'm sad because all this problems of mine make me disappoint people after starting so many projects, even bugging people for support, and then failing to deliver results (SubDrag will know what I mean)

Anyway, none of this means I have abandoned a single one of my projects.
My Mario 64 leves, KNOX and some other non publically anounced projects... I still intend to resume work on it as soon as I have the tools and environment necessary. It's just that my life sucks balls.

About porting this to PD...
I think further PD hacking will be needed to make porting GF64 to PD a realistic option.
Menus, HUD, general style... it's all TOO futuristic for the 1950's
Hopefully, GEX will be a true spearhead and maybe it will atract more hackers into PD hacking so these things can be changed.
Perhaps some day, thanks to GEX, we get hackers interested in modifying animations, vehicles and whatnot...

While I agree it'd be desirable to have PD's higher capacities at the service of this mod too, I think that, for now and the currently foreseeable future, it comes with many things that just don't fit GF64 at all.

In GE the only currently non-modifiable thing that really doesn't fit a 1950's setting would be the Q-Watch, which can be overlooked if the game turns out well. in the case of PD, it's just too much stuff that doesn't fit which we still don't know how to change.

Anyway, this mod will take a long time for sure, but I'm confident it will get done eventually.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, Ill try and make you feel better,

Currently My 'server' has no monitor (ones inverter broke then another nearly caught fire...), it still on because of my hosting etc however I view it remotly which is no good for 3d...

'This' computer is my trusty laptop and I am using it for modeling and its not too bad.
Heres the bit that will cheer you up, the specs:
256Mb RAM
233Mhz Processor
2.5Mb Graphics (Internal)

Did that cheer you up?

Trev

P.S. Yeah, Im not to fast at getting models finnished, I think about it then I forget to do them... I will try to get more done.

radorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Amazingly, my specs far surpase that, but for some reason it runs like crap.
1GB SDRAM
1.25Ghz AthlonXP
32mb ATI rage128 gfx

One would think I shoud be running rather well, but it's nightmare. XP just doesn't like my hardware for some reason.
It's so bad that at times I type something and 10 seconds pass before the text actually appears onscreen.
I would like to have a better PC where to install XP or 7 and use win98 in this older one for certain purposes, But I can't manage my usual stuff with such a limited OS. Most stuff I use wouldn't even run there as many programs have dropped support for anything older than XP.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol you guys think your computers suck well i got a good one for ya lol.

My computer has 256 ram in it.

My Graffiti card is intel [R] which sucks.

And windows Xp which slow it down even more.

And with a grafit card like that one ohmost all the games games wont even load with it.

But the funny thing is the Goldeneye editor or other editors works very well for my computer for some odd reason and i don't even have the spec for it to work lol. Laughing

And here a other thing on my computer its kinda open up on it side and i can't even close it at all so that probably took 3 years off it life lol.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you went down the 98se route there is a project called KEX. This allows some 2k/XP/vista (baisicly NT only) apps to run, especualy where they just check to see if your running 9x even when it runs perfectly on it (i.e. where they 'drop' support for 9x but still have compatable code)

I think thats what allows the setup editor to run (apart from visual Crying or Very sad ) on my server. (I couldnt possibly run it on here Embarassed )

However, yes, 9x support is basicly non-existant now... Crying or Very sad

EA, you havnt stated processor speed, you could have a fast processor which allows running of XP and setup editor.

As a sorta benchmark, I can load Dam in 3d and even 2 copies (though gets very choppy) in a view.
I can also play (though best in tank as its less sudden) GE using UltraHLE2064. No textures though.

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see this project come back to life, however, we'll almost certainly have to wait for GE:X to be finished. Another problem is that the commander in chief of the project, monkeyface, has disappeared.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hm where can i find the processor speed in my computer Trevor?

radorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:
Hm where can i find the processor speed in my computer Trevor?

My Computer icon, right click -> properties

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok here it is pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 256 MB of RAM.

Thats my computer.

Sorry for a late reply but i had to ripeout my computer and restart 100%.

So i loss everthing oh most.

Thank god i had a SD card to save some stuff.

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can only offer but my insight as I have no computer of my own and barely enough time or dedication to provide any work towards GF64 or GE:X. At the most I could maybe bug test or clip or something if I get back into the grind. However, for the Fort Knox level, couldn't the design or models used in the 007 Nightfire PC port serve as a basis for that level? I do recall seeing that level in the Multiplayer in its entirety (its one BIG level).

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer my current approach. I'm taking all the publicly available data on the real fort knox depository and mixing it with the film version, and my current model is very accurate, so I will keep doing it with the same method.
However, I'll take a look at that nightfire fortknox map, but other recreations I have seen so far I have found them rather lame, so I'm not too thrilled about it.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fort-knox... Nightfire...???
I cant say I ever saw Fort-Knox in nightfire all those years ago.
I saw it in RogueAgent though.

Trev

r.e.l. 237
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It is in the PC port of Nightfire and from the images I saw radorn post, it is almost identical. It should be worth a look at least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Goldfinger 64 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: