ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Dam [Map]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it is an interesting concept, but there are some other things that would need to be modified in order for this to work. Like Trevor pointed out, the explosives (and possible other weapon related flare, such as smoke and sparks from gunshots) would be very large. Unless these are also scaled down, the effect would be ruined.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've checked all the extremities, and...it's all there. I've managed to squeeze the entire Dam into PD by the skin of it's teeth. A few mountains in the background have been clipped (or actually, moved) but that's been about it. Could be the cause of half the problems that I'm having actually, but still.

it's also the slightest bit smaller than the map was origionally, scale: 0.23 instead of 0.2336...

What I'm having at the moment, is an issue with visibility. Everything is going transparent and the portals just aren't working properly. Did i mention that clipping it nuts annoying? If anyone is keen to get hold of the present level files and help out, then flick me your email and I'll send them through.

Needless to say, the map is just squeezed tight up against the world boundries, and the largest maps in PD seem to be the same (with a little forced perspective thrown into the mix).

Also it seems that you die if you fall a distance greater than allowed, even if you're falling onto clipping - it could make the ending of the level a little more difficult, or should we say: "Constrained".

I'll keep you all posted!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dam has a ton of extra visibility, I wonder if I'm not porting it properly? Also did you use most recent level shifter update? Previous one accidentally did portals wrong.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really sorry I haven't had a chance to respond at all to this yet, I've just been busy trying to work on some of my own projects. When I'm away from home, I can't make any progress on GE:X stuff. So, when I am home, I want to get as much done with it as possible. Let me read over your last few posts, and I'll add some comments...

Falling to your death:
I'm really not sure how this is calculated. In the Cradle, it appears as though you die as soon as you reach the lowest point in which a room is constructed. If I fall from one of the support towers, I die when I reach the very bottom of it. I don't know if this occurs in other levels, or if something else is responsible. I think part of the reason why the Dam may have trouble, is that the Y height is too low down. The entire map needs to be moved up, in order for the lowest section to draw correctly. Maybe this is causing a fuss here?

New scale:
So long as things still seem relatively the same, I can't see it hurting things much. I'm just hoping that the Dam is the only map where a dimension is pushing the boundaries on both the positive and negative side. At least the Train can be moved back and it solves the problem. In Dam, it seems as though architecture need to be modified.

Checking things out:
I'll PM you with my e-mail address, and I can give the map a look over. The process of re-exporting customized versions of an existing map can be tricky, and if not done just right, could result in different versions of the room indices being saved. I don't know if Sub ever changed that around, but because of how the Editor reads in and uses the room files, they can be resaved (from temporary files) differently from the originals. This could be what you're experiencing, but it is hard to say for sure. There is a certain formula that I always follow when customizing stages from GE, hoping to avoid getting the wrong indices saved in the map (as suggested by Sub himself).

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

about the falling -

can this be fixed by making and invisible floor clipping that when touched moves down at the same rate as the player falling?

like an invisible platform, instead of bond falling , there is an invisible elevator that moves down....

another is having an invisible platform at about just before the
death distance - when bond hits platform it should fall fast
(and looks like the bungie is giving you "el jalon")

Or 3 a really inclined invisible floor.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't had a chance to look over MRKane's work yet, but I'm leaning toward this being caused by the negative Y coordinate being past (or so extremely close to) the allowed boundaries. It could immediately trigger your death, regardless of how short a distance you've fallen, or even if there is still visible architecture around you. I'd like to see if this continues to happen, once the entire level is raised up a decent amount. Enough to clear the boundary, and then some.

You do have some interesting ideas, and your visuals are always a fun extra. Razz

oldyz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks ,
still wish i could do more.

crossing fingers that raising the level fixes it for the sake of not having to do anything extra by anybody

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm hoping to get a look at MRKane's progress in the next few days, but in the meantime, I've come up with a few ideas of my own. I don't know if they'd be enough to fit the rescaled map into the allowed world boundaries, but they may help a decent amount. The Y can definitely be fixed by shifting the entire level upward, but the Z will need architectural adjustments.

Edit: I'm not sure if my math is accurate, or if I've found the biggest min/max at certain locations, but my current concept still falls ~4000~ too far into the negative side. Definitely not bad, considering it was nearly ~12000~ before, and the positive side was up ~3500~.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys: This is part of the Email I've sent to Wreck, discussing the limits of the Dam level:

What I've found. The Z scale is "blown out" by two extra rooms: 03 & 04 - being just background BSP I saw no reason to actually keep them, as they don't "add" to the level. Having truncated these rooms I then moved the Z and Y coords by 2808 or 2350...(problem is that I can't remember which one), which brought the level within the Y limits, and just the extremities of the mountains exceeded the Z boundries. I replaced rooms: 06, 0E, 1A, 1E and 1F with slightly modified versions that just had shifted verticies.

I've placed clipping around the map and have been for a mosey to the bottom of the dam, and also around the island, so I know it's all in there. The main issues seem to be visibility and the godforsaken clipping - which, in all honest truth - is probably why I'm dying when trying to make the Dam jump. I do know that if you "Fall off the edge" of clipping, you die after falling what seems to be a set distance.

Right now I'd like to get the visibility issues resolved, and will be tinkering with those predominantly. I'll keep you all posted, and sorry about the tardy reply - I don't have the internet at home!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just took a look into the visibility for Archives, as there were issues with the ceiling inside the execution area, where all the pillars are. The original data didn't work as-is. It'd display alright from certain places, but disappear from others. 00action came up with a way to get it showing from everywhere it can be seen, but I was curious as to why it didn't translate between games. I ended up figuring it out, and would like to give the Dam a test very soon. It may not fix all of the problems it is suffering from, but it should take care of most of them. If I can't get it checked out before I leave home again, I'll shoot you (MRKane) a PM with the steps to take to try it out yourself.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've made some adjustments to the visibility file for Dam and sent you (MRKane) the file via PM. I can't actually test it out properly myself, due to various changes made to the background file that I don't have access to the raw GE data for. If you follow the steps I've provided, it should fix many of the issues that the map is currently faced with. If not, I'll continue to play around with it some more.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What was the visibility file issue and how did you try and fix it? Out of curiosity.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oldyz wrote:

[Picture above.]

Wow, you really pin-pointed out the things that caused the player to move in the way that they did. Never would of thought that there would be an invisible floor that the player 'Glides down'. Nice drawing, also made me laugh.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some commands in the visibility table offset directly to the portal itself. When you import the original visibility data from GoldenEye, the offsets remain unchanged. These then direct to incorrect portal information, which causes those sections to not display correctly. I'm able to look up and compare the GE background file to the PD header the Editor outputs, allowing me to update the offsets accordingly. It worked for the Archives, where two offsets were setup. I'm not sure how easy it'd be for you to do this automatically, but it really isn't that tough to do manually. I don't think there are a ton of levels with extra visibility information, so if I (or others) need to do this in a Hex Editor, it's not a hard task.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I actually had no idea. Does it lookup the exact portal relative reference? If you send me some more info I'll take a look when I have some time, but glad it's easy to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: