ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Dam [Map]
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Dam [Map] Reply with quote Back to top

May as well start this topic off.

I've finally got the right rom (I think) to start doing a little work toward this project.

I know wreck commented on the map falling outside the allowed bounds of the world - it's something that should be easily fixable by translating the verticies unless it's too large. I won't know until I look into it.

I do know that it's portal seup is a b*tch...that's what I'm worrying about at the moment - it's presently hard-wired into the level, and when I made the modifications to the "Beta" level I actually did it innatley by extracting parts and then recompressing them back into the origional file.

Not sure what to do about the textures yet...I'll figure it out as I go along! Trust me, I will. And I'll probably be back in a few days to ask for directions.

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This map will be available for multiplayer too?

We always wanted to be able to battle in this map.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope you get it up and running, i have tryed to convert this map myself but theres a problem with the scale, this was the info subdrag posted for me when he was trying to figure out what was going on:

Min

Max

Rescaled Min

Rescaled Max

The max allowed is 32767
and the min is -32768.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The 'Y' coords can be fixed relatively easy (by shifting the entire map upward), but the 'Z' is where the real problem lies. The min and max both surpass the allowed boundaries. I haven't had a chance to look at what this map comes out like after conversion, so I don't know how bad it gets. If we're lucky at all, it may just effect the mountain sides of the stage. Worse comes to worse, we could reposition the mountains much closer. It may mean that the Island has to go, but it'll at least allow the map to be properly playable at this time. Unless there is a way we can adjust it differently, or find some way that PD might allow these new boundaries, something will have to go.

For the textures, you can set them up however you like for the time being. When the actual level background is needed for the GE:X ROM, I'll reconvert the BG (with any necessary updates to portals and visibility) using both images I've already put into the ROM, as well as those that I will have to bring in to finish it off. That way, we can avoid having doubles of already existing textures, and keep better track of them all.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Dam start coming to life. It's a shame about the problem we're having with it, but let's just hope this is the only map that is too large when rescaled.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IS the dam level really bigger than
Area 51?
Or the crash site level?

to me it seems even smaller than the cetan mission.....

when i say area 51 i mean the one patch that features the whole thing
(hangars , labs, surface area) as multiplayer arena that is featured or maybe was at the goldeneye vault.

(maybe it is a scaling trick or something)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It would be beneficial to look at other maps from PD and see what their boundaries are. You'd almost have to think that there are stages bigger than Dam. Area 51 feels huge, and Crash Site is also quite large. There might be some kind of trick involved in getting oversized maps to still display properly. We'll just have to check a bunch of PD levels out, and hopefully find an answer that will help us.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As far as i can remember when i converted the map it was just the island that had problems everything els was fine.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, I was worried about the 'Y' height of certain areas. Perhaps that only effects the lower section of the dam itself, where you bungee jump off. That is much farther down than the tunnel, and must also be getting messed up. Raising the entire map, if we have to, should fix that. The mountains on each side of the dam are probably what is getting hit by the 'Z' boundary, as well as the Island.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dam level I think that could fit into dataDyne underground laboratories, for me it looks more like the long journey. another level I am proposing is Villa Carrington, and certainly I think the latter would fit very well Cradle.Villa Carrington level or floor plants has exterior, interior, underground and also the area where the agent appears as a sniper, with which I think the level has large dimensions as to length, width, and height.

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Hmm, I was worried about the 'Y' height of certain areas. Perhaps that only effects the lower section of the dam itself, where you bungee jump off. That is much farther down than the tunnel, and must also be getting messed up. Raising the entire map, if we have to, should fix that. The mountains on each side of the dam are probably what is getting hit by the 'Z' boundary, as well as the Island.

I'm not sure , but i think the mountains in the air force one airport mission-
looks like some are clever miniatures made to look like they are far away

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been a little sidetracked getting familiar with the Rom itself over the last few days. It's taken me ages to get the CORRECT rom too - do you have any idea how poorly things are labelled on the internet?

Had a few thoughts, and one of them was forced perspective (tiny mountains in the dsitance), as well as perahps building part of the level into the background maps.

The scale thing does seem odd - given that many of the PD maps feel much larger than the Dam map - the Crash Site was the first one that sprung to mind.

And I'd expect that it'd run on multi, but I've had no success with PD and backup units.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well...I think I've managed to squeeze the Dam map into the constraints of the PD world. There've been a few mountains modified and it works ok in the Goldeneye game...there seems to be transpariency on every wall, but I think this is a portal issue.

If someone can suggest a good place to upload files I'll upload a copy for all of you to check, otherwise I might try porting it into the PD engine over the next week.

Fortuniatley I've worked on the Dam for years, so have some fancy clipping and level alterations set to go. I do cringe about the Portal setup and visibility setup however, it's really messy in this level.

I'll keep you all posted!

Also, everytime someone posts a good tutorial we should collate it all under a different forum category! I'm flying blind with converting levels into Perfect Dark.

oldyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks MRKane for all your work -

here is something we always wondered.....

What if PD somehow exploits the "tiny bond" "tiny Jo" cheat?

What i mean is what if the game scales Joanna down to a tinier size to make her fit in a miniature level (the level seems long and of big size).

but in reality the level is of 60 % compared to a normal level and jo is and objects and guards are shrinked to 60% to make all fit....

remember, when you play as tiny jo the levels become gigantic and about 6 to 9 times longer to walk whole.

What if you would take the whole of the DAM ,
shrink its geometry and make it playable for the size of when the tiny jo cheat is activated?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Thanks MRKane for all your work -

here is something we always wondered.....

What if PD somehow exploits the "tiny bond" "tiny Jo" cheat?

What i mean is what if the game scales Joanna down to a tinier size to make her fit in a miniature level (the level seems long and of big size).

but in reality the level is of 60 % compared to a normal level and jo is and objects and guards are shrinked to 60% to make all fit....

remember, when you play as tiny jo the levels become gigantic and about 6 to 9 times longer to walk whole.

What if you would take the whole of the DAM ,
shrink its geometry and make it playable for the size of when the tiny jo cheat is activated?

You can do that but it won't fill like the same level at all thu.

And it will look weird that the level is much smaller but there is fill problem that will happen.

1: You be walking slow thu it.

2: You may still be low on the ground thu.

3: and you wont ever beable to play in the level as normo bond what so ever cus you be to big.

I don't think that wud be a good idea at all just saying.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I understand where they?(why do you always use plural for yourself, are you the Borg?) are coming from and if it did work the statement should actualy read, You could never play it as TinyBond.
Also your statement about being slow would be nullified by the fact that the level is smaller (therefore shorter).

The problems would be all the rest of the objects...
Gaurds could be made small by the small guard cheat but Objects would all need to be scaled down manualy...

Trev

P.S. Actualy another problem may be ingame Physics, i.e. tragectories etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: