ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Dam [Map]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It directly offsets to the portal data, and doesn't even bother with the portal table. That's where it might be tricky to automate, especially if the portals have been rescaled, and don't match the originals. Adjusting it manually is pretty straight forward, and just takes a little time setting up a test BG and comparing files.

I had a chance to try out the visibility changes on an unmodified Dam background. After greatly increasing the distance in which you can see, it looked like everything was loading in alright. With the boundaries being pushed too far for the minimum Y, and both min and max of Z, it's hard to really get a good sense of it, though. Another strange issue, which I have some ideas about, is the water. It is being drawn on top of most other architecture. This could be drawing command related (as the water is supposed to animate), or possibly due to the stage ID the Dam was using for the test. Here's a shot of how the stage is shaping up...

By the way, the textures for the Dam are now in my working GE:X ROMs. I might have to send some of those contributing to the project an updated patch.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would you be able to take a shot of the problematic areas? I 'think' I know where and what has been deleted/resised but a shot of the problem would be interesting to compare to any future shots of the 'fixed' dam. maybe also throw in an origonal (ge) shot for comparison too.

Ive been meaning to ask, what is and how does the 'legacy' scaling work?
What is the difference between GE & PD?

Trev

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow this is looking realy good, dam is one of my favourite levels and id love to be able to play VR in there.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ha! Seems that you need a portal between rooms to make clipping valid! ok, so that's one problem down, but I've got another.

Could someone please post me a link to a tutorial on adding extra visibility to portals. Looks like I might have to rebuild them manually as I've really screwed with the rooms on this map.

Also: does anyone know why the BG goes semi-transparent? Is there a scale factor I've missed, or a mist factor somewhere? I'm slowly picking through this map but have been running into walls here and there.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm so sorry for the late response, MRKane.
I'll try to respond to your concerns the best I can...

Yeah, it appears as though you need to have a portal between any two rooms that you can crossover. I had to add a whole bunch into the Cradle map, which usually just uses Global Visibility to show the whole thing at once, in order to prevent players from falling through the structure while crossing a room threshold. I think I'm still missing one, so I'll have to remember to add that in.

I know Zoinkity had a doc on here with some info regarding the visibility data. I'll try to dig it up and post it for you...

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=176
(scroll down to his third post)

The background is going transparent? I might have to see a screenshot to get a better idea of what's happening. It could be related to the sky block data. If the near / far distances and fog aren't setup the right way, it could give you some weird results.

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Typically the net cafe didn't boot the images you'd loaded so I didn't know how things had been going on your end.

I'm not happy with the portal setup and might try rebuilding sections of it if I can. Fingers crossed I can get it going properly. If you're already onto something that's working - I'll hit up the clipping.

Cheers for the link!

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just picking back up again...need to find a place to upload images to.

Basically it looks like all the surfaces have a semi-transparency to them so you can see other polygons through them. A lot of brickwalls with this level it'd seem.[/img]

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The graphical glitches on the water areas is most likely due to the layout of portals here.

It'd so happen that I've spent a day trying to figure out what was wrong with the level visibility...it was the emulator. It's held me up for months with this level and it's the sodding emulator that was the problem. Can't say it'll happen overnight (as the dam is fickle if nothing else) but it looks like progress on the Dam level might be back on track...

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great to hear! Smile Can't wait to see Dam in GE:X.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Blasted emulation...
There's something going on with the Automatic Shotgun port that is crashing emulators, but appears to be fine on console. I'm not sure what's causing it, yet. Hopefully can sort that out, or else we won't even be able to use it on anything other than the actual hardware.

Anyways, like Sub, I'm glad to hear you're making progress with this map. It's the first mission in the game, and one of the biggest overall levels there is. It's just unfortunate that you picked one that has so much going on! Razz

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah - it's a really random issue from a seriously buggy level. Now I've got to fix the "randomly falling through stuff", and the extra visibility!

Given the setup of the portals in the level I think there will be a heap of issues with the water too, and I might just need to over-stack the extra visibility or conjoin large parts of the level together to make it work.

I was playing through GE:X and found the movies with Brosnan jumping around like Johnanna in the SP (complete with Johannas voice) very amusing! Are we meant to be building these levels as complete SP levels or just getting them working?

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think this level has a geometry quite difficult with the rest of the game goldeneye. I think that first one should work or at work and in later versions are completed or improved. I have an idea if it's not good, but do not believe this at all and would like to use partial fog around the level as does the original goldeneye, remember that N64 uses this feature to hide any shortcomings in the skies, water or the bottom of the level we would like to view.
Wreck: I guess the automatic shotgun presents problems due to the slot where the slot PD shotgun has the problem of Rate of Fire, which incidentally does not work like the rest of the weapons of PD and I think PD slot gun is most suitable for future Magnum. it comes to my head because I am accustomed to use GS codes with weapons and see that the grooves of PD weapons shotgun, Reaper, and Farsight Sniper Rifle are problematic to deal with these slots codes or have special characteristics different from other weapons. I think if you could erase the slots to introduce new slots which have been tried before and weapons that we know work it is possible that every problem with these shortcuts.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Slightly random question everyone: Should you be able to fall to your death on that first chasm in the Dam level? I'm really in two minds about whether or not you should be able to.

Also: Secondaries. The Dam has heaps in it. I was flicking through the editor and it'd be great if there was just a rightclick>Make transparent type option for editing the room polygons. Possibly there's something I've missed (or should be doing different).

Basic clipping is functional, and starting the long, long, long, journey of getting all the portals working and specific clipping sorted out.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I say no to falling to death - doesn't really add anything.

There is a right click Replace Texture, which lets you say if transparent or not, but it's for the entire level. I did intend to make one that only changed it on a room basis, maybe triangle. As a caveat, it reexports the room file, so only supports color images and no fancy commands, so not really compatible well if you reexport a room.

In PD, you can change alpha for texture by right clicking and saying open vertice color menu, editing the alpha, then output original room to keep PD's indices same, then reexport roompositions.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think most of us are against the idea of death pits. The only place where it'd be used is in Cradle, just like the original. Having a player fall off and die at some ledge in Dam or Aztec doesn't really do it for me. It's more an annoyance than anything.

I can't recall if there is any place in the Dam (in PD) where you can fall through the floor between certain rooms. If there is, I recently discovered that you can fix this by adjusting the clipping tiles to align with the portal, rather than the room. Some rooms push past the portal, causing issues with both clipping and visualization. Runway is bad for that, as is Surface and Depot. With tweaking the clipping, we can avoid dropping through the floor, but the room drawing problem still exists. My attempts last night with Runway didn't do much to help, but I'll be back at it soon.

Oh, by the way, there is a new option in beta Editor that allows you to export the background and convert the FB transparency command value in the display list directly to the Alpha of the texture that uses it. It appears to have fixed issues with secondaries that Runway was having. You may want to try that out for Dam, as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: