ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Suns, Moons & Weather...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Suns, Moons & Weather... Reply with quote Back to top

Here is what I'm currently thinking of for weather situations within the mission levels. Most of these stay true to the original GoldenEye settings, but incorporates different elements unique to Perfect Dark. We can add suns, moons, rain, and snow. Some are easier to decide on than others. This is my potential setup. Feel free to post your own thoughts.

Dam: Afternoon, Sunny.
Facility: N/A
Runway: Midday, Hazy, Partial Sun, Snowing.

Surface: Daytime.
Bunker: Daytime.

Silo: Afternoon.

Frigate: Afternoon, Sunny.

Surface ii: Nighttime, Cloudy, Snowing.
Bunker ii: Nighttime, Snowing Outside / Ventshaft.

Statue: Nighttime, Moon, Rain (toggled on/off).
Archives: Afternoon, Sunny.
Streets: Midday, Hazy, Partial Sun.
Depot: Nighttime, Moon.
Train: Nighttime, Moon.

Jungle: Green Haze, Rain (toggled on/off).
Control: Nighttime.
Caverns: N/A.
Cradle: Daytime, Sunny.

Aztec: Nighttime.

Egyptian: Afternoon / Nighttime (if can still toggle between).

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

armymen12002003
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wasn't the weather clear in the movie wreck

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, you'll have to be a bit more specific. It did snow in Severnaya, but it didn't rain anywhere. I just think rain will add a very cool atmosphere in certain stages. The Jungle makes sense, and Statue would be even creepier with lightning flashing on the monuments.

armymen12002003
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Eh, you'll have to be a bit more specific. It did snow in Severnaya, but it didn't rain anywhere. I just think rain will add a very cool atmosphere in certain stages. The Jungle makes sense, and Statue would be even creepier with lightning flashing on the monuments.

oops i mean the jungle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, yes the movie was all Suny skies, most movies are untill it adds to the atmosphere of the plot.

Nice list Wreck but can I maybe inject continuity whilst still being about the same?

Dam: Morning, Sunny. (Maybe some partial snow 'blowing' off the tops of mountians)
Facility: N/A (would be mid-morning)
Runway: Midday, Hazy, Partial Sun.

Surface: Daytime, (light snowing). (maybe light cloud)
Bunker: Daytime, (snowing outside / ventshaft?). (maybe heavy cloud)

Silo: Afternoon.

Frigate: Afternoon, Sunny.

Surface ii: Dusk, Cloudy, heavy Snowing.
Bunker ii: Nighttime, [strikethrough]Snowing Outside / Ventshaft. [/strikethrough]
(prahaps to change the ambiance, Clear Skies and what would be frost. So no snow as it already been used in B1)

Statue: Nighttime, Moon, Rain (toggled on/off).
Archives: Morning, Sunny. (movie had morning parade)
Streets: Midday, Hazy, Partial Sun.
Depot: Dusk, Moon. light clouds
Train: Nighttime, Moon.

so just in case your woundering why, it goes: Night1 > Morning2 > Midday2 > Dusk2 > Night2

Jungle: Afternoon Green Haze, Rain (toggled on/off). (jungle is afterall located in an equateral rainforest) (also call it afternoon so the sun could be visable down valley [xenya fight])
Control: Nighttime.
Caverns: N/A. (would be morning)
Cradle: Daytime, Sunny.

Aztec: Nighttime.

Egyptian: Afternoon / Nighttime (if can still toggle between).

So how does this sound?

Trev

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

very good Trevor -

i do hope that the skyes still darken when baron samedi is about to get killed by the third time -

If that is not possible - how about changing the color of the dynamic lighting to Red (it hinks there is colored lights bulbs in PD no?)
and darken it
(like when a level with 10 light bulbs looks when you blow up 5 of them)
so the level looks blood redish and dark

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to laugh a little when most of your (Trevor) suggestions were just changing the time of day and adding in varying amounts for snow. When I first wrote it out, it was just Daytime and Nighttime. To add a little variety, I tossed in Afternoon and Midday. I didn't think it'd get even more technical than that. I don't even know if you can adjust the amounts of snow and / or rain, either.

As for the sun appearing in Jungle, you'd barely even see it. You may catch a glimpse of it at the bridge before Xenia, but only if you're looking for it. Everywhere else, the trees would block it out. I'm not sure if it would be necessary to include here, but it isn't a bad idea to test it.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of Jungle, I once gave it a nice greenish blue tropical-looking sky back in the GS days. It looked absolutely horrible. That sky needs to stay as it is for the background to look good, which pretty much rules out having a sun.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm yeah I noticed some just stated Day/Night, however the intervals are usefull for 2 reasons.
Sky Colour
QWatch time

The sun in jungle, yes as I said it would only be visable at the bridge but thats just it. It adds the finnishing touch to a hot (very) humid environment. (depending on height of the sun it may 'flicker' past the tops of parts of the level too adding a nice effect)

I know the Varing snow is improbable but I added it because you did and if it is possible then great.

"I have to laugh a little when most of your (Trevor) suggestions were just changing the time of day"

Laughing well I did say I was altering them for continuity whilst keeping about the same, your list was very good and accuriate to GE. I just wanted to add some certian 'refinements'

Trev

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the only thing
the statue level is night time and raining....

then the archives should be dawn (redish or pinkish skies like crash site)
with Rain.....

then the Tank scene no more rain but maybe the streets can sport puddles of water (chicago streets) and the skies are blue with some clouds if possible,
I dont know if it could be done but after finishing the tank scene - the cinema display should have the sun setting so it is night time at the Depot

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"the only thing
the statue level is night time and raining....

then the archives should be dawn (redish or pinkish skies like crash site)
with Rain..... "

My alterations to Wrecks list already includes the fact its morning (though red realy doesnt fit)
Also why should it be raining in Archives? The Rain could have stopped during the night whilst Bond was being taken to the camp or while he was waiting on being interogated.
Also this then helps the puddle situation as by the time Bond gets out of Archives the puddles have dried up.
Also the Statue Park could rain but there in fact might be no rain at all near archives and streets. Just because it rains in Arbroath, London or the USA doesnt mean its raining here.

As for sun setting I already accounted for this by using depot as the sunset (I also stated that the moon was in fact visable). The Story already has exagerated time sequences withought adding to it by making the sun set during streets...

While Bond is out of player control Who's to say what he gets up to, a vodca martini before going into the depot? A recon? This is how I justifie the speed of time between missions.

Trev

oldyz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think rain puddles will look good for the "tank" scene

they are available anyway so why no use them ....

Also check out the tank scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXDw7e_QYqc

the streets are wet.

if it is possible those dried up trees from crash site might be useful too

here is the scene of the archives scape - everything seems to happen at around 5 to 6 pm the skies are blue with some pinks in the horizon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvRLmZ0Z488&feature=related

about the depot - the end cinema of the tank scene has bond walking right inside the gate of the depot - by the way that limit to the original map has to be fixed, at least one of the structures of depot beginning should be seen.

I like night time depot with its weird dark blue skies, so having bond walk inside the depot while the sun goes down would look nice

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to clear a few things up for those who are unsure...

The sky colour, as well as the clouds, will remain as is. They will all be matched as closely as possible (which should be practically dead-on) to the originals. The only exception to this may be the Archives. In GE, it had a black sky, but was clearly meant to take place during daylight hours. The hallway outside of the storage room where you find Mishkin has bright beams of light coming through the windows, and the buildings in the outside courtyard are fully lit. One would have to guess that they later changed it to black because of limited visibility. The farther parts of the stage might have looked slightly blue, which would have been strange. With PD, we should be able to fix that.

Puddles: This would be a background modification, which becomes even more odd when you consider that most of the Streets level is made up of objects. To make the puddles look realistic, you have to build another version of the surrounding structure underneath the ground. It creates a reflective look, which works quite well. It's a lot of extra work, and Streets makes it tricky.

Rain in the Streets in the film: I can already tell you why the ground is wet during this scene; Cinematography. Film guys love soaking the ground before a shoot, because it adds a greater dynamic to the set. It catches reflections from lights, cars, people, etc. It's far more interesting than just a dried up road.

Streets / Depot Connection: Yes, I plan to add the metal panelling with the red star at the end of Streets to fill in that empty void. It matches the area behind you at the start of Depot, so it'll do the job nicely.

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not to sound stupid or anything but that means that your list and or my alterations to the list were a waist of time?

I assumed that with you putting 'period' in also meant that this was the colour of skies?

If I have misunderstood and your list uses the same colour already then I am sorry.
I think it was worthwhile, in this case, to make better the continuity.

Setting Sun, Again I may have made a mistake here. No, the sun has already set by depot but I dont think it should set during the end scene of streets, as per my time problem.

Puddles, yes they look cool but I still dissagree with them at least this time around. I stick with my distance argument.

"I like night time depot with its weird dark blue skies, so having bond walk inside the depot while the sun goes down would look nice"
Ok so this fits Wrecks idea so that means your not getting any sunset.
Anyway I dont think the sun can move can it?

I just don't like the idea of doing a mission in 1 minut and time passing at 6Hrs, its not a fake place like banjo or Zelda. As I said, you dont know what he gets up to when he's out of our control.

Trev

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The colour of the sky and the clouds are just as important visually as the backgrounds themself. If we begin altering these too dramatically, it'll change the way the stage is presented. It's only the Archives that I'd like to modify colour-wise. The sky isn't nearly as noticable during this mission, either. You can only see it from a few different areas, so changing it from black to blue won't seem out of place. I understand where you're coming from with real-world time in mind, but I think it may be better to stick with the original sky for most maps.

This thread was more about the addition of suns, moons, and weather elements. Trying to decide which maps would benefit most from these extra features. As far as I know, three level ID's are setup to allow a moon room. I believe there are ten sun blocks (no pun intended) configurable in the 39850 Index. The rain and snow should be controlled in the setup file for the stage, but I haven't really looked into it.

The sun is designed to stay in one place and move around as you do. It should always be at the exact same distance from the player, no matter how far away you try to get from it. The sun is also not supported in multiplayer (or at least VR, I don't know about cooperative / counter-op).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: