ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[GE007 Wii] Thoughts.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: [GE007 Wii] Thoughts. Reply with quote Back to top

Decided to make a new topic, other people can post their first play too I guess.

First of all, hooray! One player doesn't suck as much as I thought! That's a good thing, for sure.

Controls are similar to Nightfire, hence why i keep screwing up by forgetting how to crouch and reload. After I got the hang of the 3 weapon rule, it's not so bad. There's plenty of weapons to choose from, I just choose a nice accurate machinegun and the... P99? What is it called now? I can't remember, so many name changes XD

The first three levels have been completely redesigned, but the elements remain. Example, the Facility starts with a vent, merges into laboratories, ends in a Bottling Room. It has new stealth bits though, which are cool, if you're not clumsy XD

Levels are not as short as people think. Each of the "six levels" are actually split into several missions of their own, just like Goldeneye. And it's no longer based in Cuba, I forget where but the locations have changed to fit in with the new Dubai Arms story element. It's not so bad.

I've only played Archangelsk so far, but I can say this game is already more fun than Rogue Agent, and most of those crappy Bond titles for the GCN. It might just be a bit better than Nightfire, mainly cuz it's Goldeneye ffs. New, but still Goldeneye. I'm talking about the movie here, not the old game.

I haven't tried multiplayer, mainly cuz I'm resigned to the fact it'll be bland and boring, like nearly every FPS not made by Rare. But hey, this is more fun than Nightfire so far. Very interactive, but not annoyingly so. Plus I love GE enough to want to watch the cutscenes x3

Maybe a 7/10, realising nothing will ever be as fun as GE64/PD/TS/TWINE. Plus, the multiple controller thing is epic, I can change depending on my mood.

It's alright, for a game made after 2000.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played it yet, but I've been checking out various review scores and watching Electronic Playground Daily on television. I'm still going to end up buying it, and will probably go all-out and grab the one with the golden Classic Controller Pro. I don't have one of those, so it'll be nice to have everything I need to play with all of the different possible control schemes. It's sort of sad that I'm so biased toward the original, that I haven't even given this one much of a fighting chance. Rogue Agent left a very sour taste in gaming's collective mouth, and with this one seeing such a massive overhaul, it leaves you wondering where it is going to go. I do want to check out the "campaign", but don't have any real interest in multiplayer. Supposedly you can't even choose your character online, and are forced into generic categories, such as MI6 operative vs. Janus grunt? Kind of lame, in my opinion. The multiplayer experience is what made GoldenEye last, and it is hard to imagine any current-gen game topping that (aside from online support). If I can just get the "this is a remake of GE64" out of my head, it might be enjoyable. I guess I'll find out whether it's worthy of using the same name or not soon enough.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Multiplayer is not anywhere near the original. Despite boasting over "200 game combinations" it's even more limited than Nightfire. It lacks AI, weapon sets, you can only have one chosen machinegun and a pistol...

Some levels are too big for two players to comfortable fight in, and regen health makes it too easy for you to hide and recover >.>

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My problem with this game wasn't really bias, it was how the game presented itself.

This game, rode so hard on GoldenEye's coat tails there is almost nothing left of the coat itself. When you remake a game with a big name in the industry(in this case GoldenEye), expectations are soaring high for it. But the way you meet those expectations is not bastardize it by throwing parts of it into a blender w/ Modern Warfare 2 and try to brag about the name. That doesn't work very well. The way you do meet those expectations is to have passion to the source.

I'm probably not going to pick this up, this isn't reason enough to buy a Nintendo Wii.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Perfect Dark XBLA update showed its age to the gaming world, and only really appealed to retro gamers, or those who still love the original. If GoldenEye would have been released for the Xbox, it probably would have received similar reviews. Activision / Eurocom had to go with what is current in order to survive in this current generation. I might not personally like it, but there are plenty of FPS junkies the world-over who are addicted to Call of Duty and Halo online gaming who would prefer that the game play more like them. It's the only option they had if they wanted to be a serious contender in the industry. Whether it sucks or is fantastic, it'll depend on your personal preference of game type and opinion on the subject at hand. Either way, the original N64 GoldenEye 007 is always waiting to be played again, whenever people want to relive the good old days.

Yes, I am still bitter about how they advertised it. But how can you not take advantage of the history and success of GE64? They needed to hype people up for it, especially guys in their twenties and thirties, who vividly remember playing against their friends after school or work. The name is iconic in gaming, and it helped to shape all console FPS titles to follow. You would have to be stupid not to utilize that information in your ad campaign.

...was I actually defending the new GoldenEye? Confused
It would appear that I have found peace at last.

oldyz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the game is not so bad - it feels better than nightfire does.

here is the thing i wish would happen -

Take the RAREWARE Perfectdark/GE gameplay and
"Paste it"

if there was that option to play the game like that
Nightfire and this Goldeneye would go from
A 6.5 to a 8.5

the ai and everything else is forgiven , just give me the FPS controls that the Rare games give you

muunkyboy
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Thoughts Reply with quote Back to top

I actually quite like it, although I've only had one proper play. Also, I'm an old fart who can remember playing the original to death. IMHO, this is a slightly different game to the original, but I think the music is better and also the fact that there is now speech (Can't remember why the n64 couldn't handle speech, probably down to the cart size) and I love the stealthy element that the n64 version just didn't have.

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The music is typical CraigBond, IMO, but still cool. Works in the right places. And the n64 could handle speech, didn't you play TWINE?

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny enough, after toying around with Call of Duty: Black Ops at a friends house, I've begun to warm up to this[GoldenEye Wii]game now.

I see what Nintendo/Activison wanted to do. They wanted to bring the game into modern light, however trying to bring over the concept from the 1995 GoldenEye movie, would have been incredibly hard to do because of how badly outdated it was, and obviously they had to use the CoD Engine because it is currently one of the best FPS Engines out there right now(at least for online's sake.)

So in a wierd way.. this is the port from Movie to Game I guess Nintendo's always wanted. I think our opposition to it is our loyalty to the original and how we are so used it/attached to, so for lack of better terms.. I guess bias.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have the game in my possession, but I haven't gotten around to playing it. I did open up the box to take a look at the golden Classic Controller Pro, and it is pretty nice. Not sure when I'll actually put the disc into my Wii and try it out. There's too much work I'd rather being doing for GE:X.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should all stop judging this game by comparing it to the original GE (even if they deserve it for trying to sell it as an update to the origninal, which it obviously isn't).
Doing that will mud the judgement with pointless arguments about the differences consituting "modernization" or who knows what.
If you judge Gee (GE + Wii) by itself, sooner or later you'll realize that it's a crappy game in it's own right, and that Activision had no intention to make a homage to the original N64 game, but just cash in with a popular brand name.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jeez you guys just keep complaining, its getting annoying

Jazake
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: my POV Reply with quote Back to top

After growing up with the original GE, it was really hard to ignore this game. I can't play as much games as a used to but still have time for a choice few. With that said, there is a limited number of games I can play, so they must be good. Starcraft 2 is my choice PC game. Smash Bros Brawl was my choice Wii game until GE Wii. So I hoped GE Wii was everything it was supposed to be, and sure enough, it came really close. You cannot expect an aged game with so many people's biases to be just as good with so much competition out there now. Thank GE 64 for paving the way for so many fine console shooters.

So as for GE Wii? Single player so far has been the best Bond experience Eurocom could have done avoiding any copyright infringement with Rare. But the reason I got the game was for multiplayer. They updated the engine to fit with today's standards, left classic Split screen modes in, and developed an awesome online experience system to assure you get the most fun games possible everytime. Since no one has either confirmed or uncorfirmed my Multiplayer questions thread, I think it is safe to assume there is no LAN play with muliple players on 1 box online, which is a shame because there really isnt anything more fun than a few friends coming over and ripping each other apart in Multiplayer in different rooms. The next thing is that I wish there was a way for Eurocom to adjust the old levels in a way to accomodate 8 players like classic Facility and Complex. Eh, but whatcha gonna do?

Overall, the game's online feeling is great, single player is sharp and entertaining (even for my wife to watch!) and I am glad Eurocom took the plunge and produced such a fine remake (new port) of Bond. Yes is will never live up to the feeling you had while growing up (its impossible, you cant go back in time) but hey it sure did a good job recreating my love for one of my favorite games of all time.

radorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jazake, I disagree with everything you said.
GE was my first FPS, and after that I developped a great hunger for more games of the same kind. PD did just what I expected, despite some little annoyances.
I never got to play TWINE back then, but then I played it recently and I couldn't stand it.
Before that I tried several FPSs on the GC and one or two for PC (never been much of a PC gamer), and a little tryout of redsteel on wii.
All was completelly disapointing to me. Bland, lame, tunnel-like, full of annoying cutscenes and stupidity everywhere.

GE and PD are dated, but the sad fact is that in these 12(?) years I have yet to see anything get close to their level of goodness, be it in the same or different style.
I can imagine quite a few improvements that could be done to them and I'm not against reimagining them or completelly remaking them if you whish, but I geel that the concepts of "re-envisionment" and "modernization" are being used as lame excuses for making poor games and then discrediting dissenting voices with accusations of incapability to grow out of old glories.
No, sorry, but that's BS.

This game is a cash in. It doesn't even matter if it's faithful to the N64 classic or not. The hard fact for me is that it is a bad game on it's own, and the fact that it's quality is on par with that of the rest of the contemporary games doesn't make it a good game, but makes the rest of them as bad as this one, and that's really sad.

Seriously, they just took a reputable brand name and churned out another generic game. It could have been whatever else, not even based on James Bond, and it would have been the same.

Jazake
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Yes, but... Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Can't argue that. But you simply cannot brush off ALL the current FPSs for what good they have in them over the past 12 years. I am an avid Rare fan, I wish they all stayed together, I wish they were still churning out classics like they did during the 90s and early 00s but they are not the same anymore. I don't think any game company could match the level of talent and energy Rare put into every game they made. The Nintendo-Rare partnership was arguably the best ever. If they were still around, they would have made another classic for the Wii that could stand up to GE/PD because they made GE/PD. Eurocom will never be Rare, so they made the game the way they wanted to, did it cash in? Yup sure did. Was it just for the money? Nope. We know that because they spent plenty of time making it a great game. There has been many many many games that tried to cash in on past sequels or remakes and failed. There was certainly going to be a lot of flak this game was going to take being a 'remake' to such a stone cold classic. Maybe what they should have done was make the game, but rename it so people don't relate it to GE 64. Thats like LeBron James calling himself Air LeBron and wearing Jordans shoes. Trying to live up to a name he could never do, no matter how good he becomes after 20 years in the NBA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: