ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

For A New Generation...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: For A New Generation... Reply with quote Back to top

I was always on the fence about this game. My passion for the original, and the legal issues surrounding it, didn't help to make this Wii remake very appealing to me. However, after having played it, I do have some things I would like to say...

First of all, it is incredibly important for you to avoid comparing this to the original. I actually found myself making more comparisons to the film, which seemed like a better choice. However, you're better off trying to accept this as something new (though the advertising campaign keeps reminding you otherwise), and you may actually get some enjoyment out of it.

As far as a modern FPS goes, it does its job well. It looks nice, handles smoothly, offers up plenty of control options, and contains enough content to keep you busy for a while (between single player and multi, both on and offline). I've played through it on three of the four difficulty settings, and am a few missions into the hardest mode. I can't compare two games made thirteen years apart properly, no matter how biased or not I am. I think Eurocom / Activision did a pretty decent job coming up with a remake to a classic Bond adventure, and it is certainly much better than EA's Rogue Agent cash-in.

I'll break down a few specifics, to better help people get a sense of the game, if they haven't already had a chance to play it.

Missions:
There are six separate missions, which are composed of fourteen levels. Some of them are similar to, or based around, those from the original. There are also some completely new environments, as well as areas that are heavily changed. When comparing to the 1997 N64 game, only the first area of the Dam actually matches closely. There may be a few other small similarities here and there, but nothing quite as instantly recognizable. Not much resembles locations from the film, either. The interrogation room in the Archives is about the only thing that really popped out. This is a re-imagining of the GoldenEye story, in both plot and settings.

Characters:
Most of the GoldenEye cast remains, but many of them feature different appearances. Daniel Craig's likeness was used for Bond, to fit the modern times of the series. The rest of the characters look nothing like their original actor counterparts. Natalya is now dark haired, and tanned. Xenia Onatopp also has a new hairstyle, with shorter black hair. Overall, they all look like different people. None of them more drastic than Valentin, who has lost weight, gotten younger, and brandishes a scar on his right cheek. Those missing are Boris Grishenko and Jack Wade, though there are some new people you'll encounter. The classic characters available in multiplayer have wonderful likenesses to the actors who portrayed them many years ago. Perhaps it is easier to re-imagine Alec Trevelyan, than it is Francisco Scaramanga.

Difficulties:
There are four different difficulty settings to choose from. The easiest setting is Operative, and is good for those who are unfamiliar with modern first-person shooters. The next step up is Agent, and is a good place to start for anyone who is already comfortable with this style of game. When you're ready for a bigger challenge, 007 heats things up. Like in the original, additional objectives are added onto the mission when a greater difficulty is selected. Most of these involve using your SmartPhone to take pictures, download data, or hack into controls. The final setting is 007 Classic mode, where your health no longer regenerates. In order to survive, you'll have to rely on both skill, as well as body armour pickups hidden throughout the mission.

Annoyances:
Some of these are goofy things that bother me as a fan of the film, but others are directly aimed at the gameplay.

Pronunciation. The biggest one is "Janus". In the film, the J isn't pronounced. However, in this game, the name sounds more like "Janice". Think of Janice Joplin, or Janice Dickinson. That's how they say it. Another one, though less troublesome, is "Valentin". Bond says his name as "Valentine", as in Valentine's Day.

Bullet collisions. If this had only happened a handful of times, I'd forgive it. But considering I've seriously lost count of the instances, I have to point it out. Sometimes, when you're attempting to shoot at someone from behind the side of a wall or other object, and even over an object or through a railing, your bullets will hit an invisible wall. This can ruin your stealth, by alerting nearby enemies. It can also leave you open to attack, which can be life threatening on harder settings.

New dialogue. Well, obviously it is going to have new conversations and phrases. However, when a situation is presented that has you expecting a classic line from the film to be delivered, you're given something less effective. Instead of "This time, the pleasure will be all mine", Xenia says "This time, I won't fail". That feels really, really weak in comparison. There are others, but I won't get into them.

Mild slowdown. This is forgivable, and usually goes away quickly. When a large group of enemies are loaded in, the game slows down. Sometimes, it even feels like the gameplay halts completely. It doesn't last long, though. I've only had one experience where the framerate staggered for more than five seconds, so I can let it slide. I've been able to live with it in GE and PD for all these years, after all. (I did fall through the floor once, as well. I dropped down a few floors in the Bunker mission, and had to go back up - refacing enemies I had already dispatched earlier.)

So, after playing through the game a few times, I can actually say that I do enjoy it. It'll never replace the original, and was never intended to. But, as a legal way to get a GoldenEye game on the Nintendo Wii, it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

acceptable67

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good review. I'll check it out sometime in the future.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really have to wonder if the start of Dam being almost identical to the original game wasn't their little send off to it. To be honest I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't recreate the sets from the film, given how much better it could be pulled off with today's technology (just look at GoldenEye: Source's Facility Backzone bottling room, for an example), but at the same time it's understandable, especially recreating stuff from the game.

I definitely want to pick this one up when I have some cash now.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot to add a few other tidbits last night. There was a lot to think about, and I didn't end up getting it all out.

The stealth aspect of the game adds something new. In most cases, you can slink around the level, hiding behind various cover, and take out your enemies silently. As an alternative, you can also sneak up on an unsuspecting person and knock them out quietly. You're rewarded for doing this, by preventing reinforcements from storming the area. This becomes even more beneficial on the harder settings.

The music is enjoyable, especially the theme that plays in the menus, as well as the game title in the Wii menu. But there really aren't songs that sound unique for each mission, with exception to the Nightclub. Most of them have a similar style, and become more powerful when a special event is triggered, such as being spotted by an enemy, or when time is crucial for an objective. There is great production value behind it, but it just doesn't have the same charm as the original. The inclusion of the GoldenEye theme song, now sung by Nicole Scherzinger, was a nice touch.

The relationship between Bond and Trevelyan didn't seem nearly as close in this version of the story. Without really giving too much away, when 007 reports in that 006 has died, Tanner offers him his condolences. Bond pretty much tells him to "save it", and that Trevelyan knew full-well the risks of this operation. There is no sense of loss, which makes the later reveal less emotional.

I haven't had a chance to play multiplayer against another human, but since I do have two controllers (one for Wii, and another for GameCube), I was able to check out the characters and levels available in split-screen mode.

There are plenty of characters to choose from. All of the main cast look to be selectable, as well as a group of special guest stars, and plenty of guards and enemies.

I wasn't too thrilled with the level design, however. Perhaps it's because I didn't spend enough time in them to figure out their layout, but they felt confusing. Most of the stages based around those from the missions are completely different, with the only exception being the Jungle - which I actually like. Maybe with a bunch of other players running around, it might be more enjoyable. I still prefer the multiplayer maps featured in GE64 much better. Not just for nostalgia, or because I'm used to them all, either.

The weapon system in multiplayer doesn't really do it for me. I do understand the idea behind it, and why it might be more suitable for online play, but why they don't have weapons in the map itself eludes me. Instead, you select what weapon you want to start with when choosing your character. You may then change that weapon during the match, and will respawn with it after being killed. You can also pick up dropped weapons, but can only carry two at a time.

Ryani
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: For A New Generation... Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

First of all, it is incredibly important for you to avoid comparing this to the original. I actually found myself making more comparisons to the film, which seemed like a better choice. However, you're better off trying to accept this as something new (though the advertising campaign keeps reminding you otherwise), and you may actually get some enjoyment out of it.

What did I tell you Dx

This applies to most remakes and sequels. OPEN MINDS PEOPLE.

And yes, the script at times is irratatingly uneffective, and my game actual halted to a complete stop with the wail of death halfway through Statue the other day >.> Before I could save..

Everything else I agree with, Wreck (Y)

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, i can say that re-watching the movie would be 5x more entertaining than playing this game. All of the distinct and recognizable characters have been replaced by generic stereotypes, Alec sounds like he's dramatically reading a script and not responding to actual events, and half of the iconic scenes from the movie are completely ruined (the facility bottling room being the main example of this).

When i first saw the dam scene, i was actually a bit impressed. There were obvious inclusions of CoD style gameplay and presentation, but overall i thought it would be pretty interesting. Then, as i droned through the levels, everything got less and less appealing. The absurd bottling room scene, the unimpressive and generic architecture of many levels, and the major disappointment embodied in the final showdown really brought the appeal of this game down for me.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: worst multiplayer conversion EVER Reply with quote Back to top

well I gave it a chance ..... "campaign" was AWESOME!!! STILL not GOLDENEYE at all !!!! The multiplayer levels all look the same and have no size to them AT ALL Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad without a pc version and lan I could care less for another wii, xbox, or any console remake If they dont remake it EXACTLY in gameplay and increase options instead of graphics it will never equal GE

RPGGamer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GoldenEye Wii = Call of Duty clone

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

RPGGamer wrote:
GoldenEye Wii = Call of Duty clone

I agree. But this is fine by me because I enjoy playing COD online but I only own a Wii so this game works for me. I have two big complaints about the online multiplayer though.
1.) This is something that happens way too often, I'll eliminate another player and then they'll also eliminate me as they're dying. I have had a few instances where I die at least a second I'm given EXP for eliminating them.
2.) The maps are way too dark. The TV I use can't adjust contrast but I have my brightness up all the way and I'm still running blind through many parts of maps. Especially Sewers and Memorial. I usually quit any match that is on either of those maps.

MAURO
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: For A New Generation... Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Pronunciation. The biggest one is "Janus". In the film, the J isn't pronounced.

Janus without J...............

Laughing I can't even imagine it! hahaha...

Bond: Your last chance! Give me the name!!

Lachaise: You still threat me, even without your weapon??

Bond: *BANG!*

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: For A New Generation... Reply with quote Back to top

MAURO wrote:
Laughing I can't even imagine it! hahaha...

What's with you and bumping ancient topics?

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If it ain't loct Cool bumpity bump Cool this ish

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

True but it annoys me when people go around bumping threads that are a year or more old.If it was active than I see no problem, but if it's been inactive for quite some time now...

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
If it ain't loct Cool bumpity bump Cool this ish

Necromancing is usually against forum rules and eventually results in a thread lock.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't really bother me too much. We're not a super busy community, with dozens of new topics coming up each day. Sometimes when somebody makes a comment on an older thread, it can bring it back to life. A forgotten topic doesn't have to be a dead topic. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: