ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE Spanish translation. Incoming v1.1!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: GE Spanish translation. Incoming v1.1! Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.

I've been working on a spanish patch for GoldenEye and I have one final issue.
The problem comes when I insert the translated LoptionsE.bin. file. It doesn't translate the watch (pause) menus and, in adition, makes Silo stage unplayable (after hitting start, screen goes black but you can hear the music).
All the other *.bin files have been translated and correctly inserted in the rom (checked in Project 64 and Wii 64 emulators).

Also, I haven't found where to translate "tracker bug" (the one from the Frigate mission).

I'm ready to publish the patch once I solve this problem. Any ideas?

Sorry if I misspelled something , I'm from Spain.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Sogun on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, that is bizarre. Is it possible one of the related text in that file got messed up (or is missing *s?).

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just redid the translation with the original LoptionsE.bin file and didn't solve anything.

Here's a copy of the translated file. Hope that helps to figure out what is happening:

Code:
disparar*
apuntar*
accion*
arma*
pausa*
mover*
mirar*
?*
mover mirilla*
1.1 honey*
1.2 solitaire*
1.3 kissy*
1.4 goodnight*
2.1 plenty*
2.2 galore*
2.3 domino*
2.4 goodhead*
mirar arriba/abajo*
autoapuntar*
centrar vista*
control de mirilla*
mirilla visible*
municion visible*
pantalla*
ratio*
si*
no*
normal*
invertido*
alternar*
mantener*
lleno*
ancho*
cine*
normal*
16:9*
abortar:*
si*
no*
Estado de la mision:*
cumplido*
incompleto*
Mano Izquierda*
q watch v2.01 beta*
abajo*
arriba*
paso lateral*
paso lateral*
adelante*
atras*
tipo de control*
mando*
mandos*
musica*
fx*
fallado*
2. antecedentes*
3. informe de m*
4. charla con q*
5. moneypenny*
1. objetivos de mision*

By the way, do you know where "tracker bug" can be translated?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tracker could be on level text such as frigate (original name is bug i think overwritten in levels text bank). Try replacing text parts with original, import, see if crashes, etc. That'll narrow which it is.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi SubDrag. Thanks for your help.

"Tracker bug" was indeed in the frigate level .bin. I translated the first of the "tracker bug"s and missed the others.

I think the other problem lies whitin the original LoptionsE.bin file. I have applied all the *.bin files except that one in an original rom (as expected, Silo stage is playable and pause menu untranslated). Then I've applied the original LoptionsE.bin to that rom and Silo is unplayable.

Maybe the file was corrupted in the last release of the GE Setup Editor?

Here's my original LoptionsE.bin file:
Code:
fire*
aim*
action*
weapon*
pause*
move*
look*
?*
move sight*
1.1 honey*
1.2 solitaire*
1.3 kissy*
1.4 goodnight*
2.1 plenty*
2.2 galore*
2.3 domino*
2.4 goodhead*
look up/down*
auto-aim*
look ahead*
aim control*
sight on-screen*
ammo on-screen*
screen*
ratio*
on*
off*
upright*
reverse*
toggle*
hold*
full*
wide*
cinema*
normal*
16:9*
abort:*
confirm*
cancel*
mission status:*
complete*
incomplete*
Left Hand*
q watch v2.01 beta*
down*
up*
sidestep*
sidestep*
forward*
back*
control style*
controller*
controllers*
music*
fx*
failed*
2. background*
3. M briefing*
4. Q branch*
5. moneypenny*
1. mission objectives*

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The issue could be the decompresed size of all the text banks. There's a series of text files that are always loaded, and these are loaded just after boot, long before the legal screen appears. It loads with a few other things as well, I think the animation table or something like that.

Anyway, case and point is the buffer size for all of this is fixed. You have a bit of room, but depending on the decompressed sizes of all the text you may overrun the buffer.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi zoinkity

As I stated in my last reply, the untranslated LoptionsE.bin file also crashes the game when it's applied. If I apply all the *.bin files except that one, the game runs correctly. So it doesn't seem to be a problem of buffer space. Maybe I didn't understand you, I apologize if thats the case.

Here are some pics I took of the translation, for those interested:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES00.jpg?t=1292520979
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES01.jpg?t=1292520979
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES02.jpg?t=1292520980
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES03.jpg?t=1292520980
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES04.jpg?t=1292520982
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES05.jpg?t=1292520983
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES06.jpg?t=1292520983
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES07.jpg?t=1292520983
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES08.jpg?t=1292520985
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES10.jpg?t=1292520989
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GES09.jpg?t=1292520986

One more thing. As you can see in the last picture, there's a dot separating words "Recogida"(Picked up) and (Municion)"ammo". That's because i don't know how to write a blank space in the text with the editor. If i just press the space bar, the editor erases the blank after y finish editing. Do you know how to do it right?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try an options file with same amount but empty lines - its probably like Zoinkity said you added too many characters in general across binary files so its a buffer overrun. If empty one works definitely buffer overrun.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A space should be imported along with textfile import? Shouldn't need dots

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Leaving the LoptionsE.bin file with no text didn't work.
I've uploaded all my translated *.bin files and my original LoptionsE.bin file so you can see them in detail and maybe figure out what's happening. here.

About the dot thing. "Recogida" and "municion" are separate texts. I can't start or finish a text with a blank space (the editor erases it) but only in the middle of the text. "Recogida" also preceds all weapons names when you pick them up in the game.
Idea Maybe I should rewrite them has "Recog"+"a municion". That way I can even solve the gendre issue. More characters will be used but there must be enough space left in the file. EDIT: Yes, it worked fine.

Just experiment whit the files I sent you.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is silo the only level that fails? You may need to lower amount of characters used for it with new options file if all others work.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just checked every mission and yes, Silo is the only one that fails.

I'm new to the editor and I don't know how to do what you are saying (editing texts is the only thing I've done). I'll have to look for some tutorials.EDIT: I confused what you were saying, I'll give it a try.

But I don't see how that will work, since the only thing I've done is editing text, and Silo is fine (and even translated!) before applying LoptonsE.bin (which doesn't translate what it's meant to translate).

I've notice that the Goldeneye Vault has a complete French translation, so I'll try to contact the author. Maybe he ran with similar difficulties at that time.

REEDIT: Still not working. I tried with blank Silo and options .bin and it's the same again. After that, I patched an original rom with only the original LoptionsE.bin and Silo still crashes.
Maybe is the rom the problem? (although I tried with two different roms, one .v64 and the other .z64) Maybe it's the editor? (v.2.4.30 build April 2010)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, if it is a matter of certain pre-loaded text files being too long, than you may have to go in and remove all unused lines from those files. That would shorten the overall length, and hopefully condense it enough for everything to fit once more. I'll give this a try myself, using the files you uploaded.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to double-post, but just want to make sure Sogun reads this...

I downloaded your Spanish language files and imported them into an NTSC (North American) GoldenEye ROM, .z64 unswapped version, and everything appears to be working properly. The Silo loads fine, and the watch text seems to be right. Were you using an NTSC or PAL ROM? If PAL, than maybe that is posing a problem.

Also, are you using the 21990 Modifications menu to inject the text files? If so, have you clicked on the "Delete Debug Data (and J text)" button at the bottom of the window? If not, I strongly recommend that you do. It could free up the space that you need for this to work.

There appears to be some small issues with weapon names in the main watch menu (the first screen that appears when you open the watch). Some are still in English, while others are broken up strangely. It might be a bit tricky to fix those, since some lines of text are shared between different items.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Wreck, i'll try that later.

I'm using two different NTSC roms (one .v64 16MB, and the other Z.64 12 MB).

To inject the text files I just use Tools-> Convert Tools. I didn't know there were others methods to inject the text.

About the weapons names in the main watch menu maybe it's becasue every weapon name have numerous entries in the LgunE.bin and I only focused on translate ingame texts and the weapon/gadget list of the menu. I'll try to fix that too.

One more topic. I have notice that the LlenE.bin file, which contains the credits sequence is somehow cut. It doesn't show the later texts as "Produced by Rare" "Presented by Nintendo" "JAMES BOND WILL RETURN" and some of the people involved in the development of the game. There's some space to add text but then the file gets to large to inject it. Any way to fix this?

I'll try to inject the text with the method Wreck said and check if it works. Then i'll try optimize the translation erasing unused text. If nothings works, then I'll have to try on more roms.

I'll report the results later Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: