ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

So what happened to detstar?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctornull
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: So what happened to detstar? Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, very old user here. Some of you may remember me from around 2006 or something, I remember being here when all this hacking and multiplayer stuff was pretty new, exciting times Smile.

Anyway, I used to be an avid reader of Detstar's goldeneye site, and I decided to check it for the sake of nostalgia, but I can't find anything! Seems to be completely gone. I can't find any information on detstar, other than a strange comment he left on deviant art back in 2009:

"After returning from another necessary break, I wake up to discover my website is gone.

My mail's gone too, so anything that was sent to me after January 3, 2009 wasn't received. I'm in the process of setting the website up again.

I'll be back."

Very mysterious that he and his site would just disappear like this. Anyway, anyone know of his whereabouts?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No one knows anything. The site just disappeared one day (I was actually browsing it at the time it went down), I kind of assumed the hosting ran out but he still owned the domain itself.

I wouldn't mind picking up the domain when it does expire (in December 2013; a long ways off still) and putting up a little GE/PD tribute page.

fantsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Been away for a quite long time now.

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bad Sad
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So what happened to detstar? Reply with quote Back to top

doctornull wrote:
Anyway, I used to be an avid reader of Detstar's goldeneye site, and I decided to check it for the sake of nostalgia, but I can't find anything! Seems to be completely gone.

Wouldn't say it's completely gone, archive.org has a fairly complete backup of the site. Most recent is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080730171428/http://www.detstar.com/

I did end up trying to get in touch with him back in April, when I was puzzling over the first public appearance of the Citadel. No luck, though. dA reports his last login as "99 weeks ago", nearly two years. I'd imagine that the last time he logged in was to post the message you quoted.

I don't find his disappearance too shocking... he made it clear that he was done with video games ( http://web.archive.org/web/20080804091816/www.detstar.com/00/endofanera.cfm ) and wanted to pursue his interests in comics and art. Being as the Dexter comics weren't well received, I'd imagine he just gave up. It is odd that the last thing he ever posted was a message announcing his eventual return...

Might be a good idea to reconstruct the site somewhere. I mean, technically it still exists, but you can't easily find it through Google. I know there's lots of people out there looking for it. Sure, a lot of the information is out of date (for example, the map editor has laid to rest all the rumors about secret rooms behind the doors in Runway and Silo), but it's good for nostalgia purposes.

Should point out this comment on the latest Detstar blog entry:

26/11/10 03:57 Det's friend said... wrote:
I'm sorry to tell you all guys. Det (aka The Terrorist) died some days ago. He had been struggling with stomach ulcera for years, and he finally passed away.

We will all miss you, Det.

Velvet.

Being as this was only posted on his blog and not his dA page, it's almost certainly not true. Plus, "Det", as far as I know, was also a pseudonym.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol man a lot of det post just keep comeing up liek where the site and there a link to and stuff.

But other then that i miss the good old site and stuff it be nice for a return.

R.I.P : Detstar.

We will miss you. Crying or Very sad

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:

R.I.P : Detstar.

We will miss you. Crying or Very sad

Quote:

Being as this was only posted on his blog and not his dA page, it's almost certainly not true. Plus, "Det", as far as I know, was also a pseudonym

So Eternal; he's probably not dead dead; but in internet terms; he's dead. I do agree with Plush's theory on his comics not being received well; which is why he left. As far as I can remember; everyone hated them; when they came about I liked them. But after awhile the humor got stale.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When he'd stop making updates to his gaming pages, but was able to get a new comic up every week or so, I think people started to wonder "WTF is going on with his priorities"? It was supposed to be a gaming site, after all. It'd be like going over to a website about vintage cars, but all the new content was regarding corn-dogs.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I remember this website back around 2006.

Very good...

NapalmNero
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only way we could possibly get in contact with him is if we contacted the post office where he had his PO Box for the "Membership" thing he was doing.

See if he still has access to it; who owns it now, the list of people who have owned it during the time of Det's site, etc.

Sounds like a stretch; but it's all I can come up with because I don't know of any other way of contacting him

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NapalmNero wrote:
The only way we could possibly get in contact with him is if we contacted the post office where he had his PO Box for the "Membership" thing he was doing.

See if he still has access to it; who owns it now, the list of people who have owned it during the time of Det's site, etc.

Sounds like a stretch; but it's all I can come up with because I don't know of any other way of contacting him

Agreed, but it's by no means a simple or cheap process... it's also getting into stalkerish territory. Twisted Evil You'd either have to hire a private investigator, or a lawyer who could serve the post office a subpoena. That could really only be legally done for something serious. Even then, there's a chance the box was registered using fake information. (Possible, he registered his domain using false info.)

Det was careful about concealing his identity, I'll give him that much. But there may be other, more roundabout ways of tracking him down. It's possible some of the mods/admins from Det's forums might still be in contact with him... Commander Jinx, SG, MattBuck. I really don't know how close they were, it's possible they went their separate ways after the forums went down and the webcomic started. Still, if they know how to get in touch with him (possible), and they're willing to give out his contact info (unlikely), there is that option.

And even if we did have his most recent e-mail address, or his mailing address, Det isn't obligated to talk. He could easily ignore any attempts at communication, and we'd be none the wiser. I think it's fair to say he's done with the community. Disappointing that we'll probably never get closure, but it does make for a good mystery.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the domain in 2013... seems to me he'd have the option of renewing it before anyone else can grab it.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope he dus not renew it becus then noone else can take care of it.

You all and me know that if he did it. He wont do nonething abowt the site what so ever.

So i hope someone here like Dragonsbrethren can get it befor him lol.

radorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

But sadly renewing the domain won't give us the actual website contents.
buying the domain would just give us the domain name.
That is, whoever pays for it will have the domain name detstar.com at their disposal and he could build a site to use it, but that's it.
It would be more interesting to get the contents and use them for a new site or whatever, but that's quite unlikely.

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
But sadly renewing the domain won't give us the actual website contents.
buying the domain would just give us the domain name.
That is, whoever pays for it will have the domain name detstar.com at their disposal and he could build a site to use it, but that's it.
It would be more interesting to get the contents and use them for a new site or whatever, but that's quite unlikely.

True. Although we can get most of the site's (visible) content through archive.org, it would be a slow process; downloading each page, rebuilding the directories on another server, trying to find/create replacements for broken links, images, and videos. We'd also be missing the member exclusive bonus content, unless someone actually paid for it and downloaded it all. There's also the problem of the images having been resized, the highest quality available for most of them is no bigger than a postage stamp on a modern display.

Mostly I'd just hate to see the domain name go to some kind of squatter/search engine.

I've actually had the idea of adapting and updating Det's content to the GE Wikia, which is, in places, rather barren... start with the prerelease pages, create sections for the oddities and mysteries. Where possible, we could find/create higher resolution shots.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very good idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: