ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Finally got around to trying the XBLA version...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Finally got around to trying the XBLA version... Reply with quote Back to top

...and overall, I really like it! In the time since the first previews went out, I've had time to adjust to the default controls, so those were no problem, and they've patched in the Legacy option anyway. The fixed sight is a welcome addition, I just wish it also applied to aim mode. The smooth framerate is a major improvement over the original.

Still unhappy about the makeovers the characters and weapons got. Also unhappy about the skyboxes in the multiplayer maps I played, they're just so static, even if the originals were just clouds scrolling across a colored background. Everything else I've seen is great, though.

My gamertag is also Dragonsbrethren. Anyone who still plays this version, add me when you get a chance. I'd really like to get some multiplayer in.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My problem is still the fact that I can't get precise aim on the control scheme. Just no matter what I do, I can't get any reasonable aim and it's frustrating.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried fixed sight since they patched it in? That's only for the normal "target" crosshair, but it should help. I did notice the aim mode cursor seems really sensitive compared to the original, I was having a hard time even just locking onto guards with the CMP, but I haven't tried playing with the sensitivity options on it yet.

Was trying to get my brother (it's his 360) and friend to play a split screen game yesterday but they didn't seem too interested. It's pretty cool that they give you all of the characters, weapons, and stages right off the bat instead of having to unlock them.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I have: it didn't help.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got up to the first Area 51 mission on secret agent. The guards throw grenades! I've never seen that happen on the N64 version, they must've fixed a broken action or something. Unfortunately the grenades seem to explode the second they get near my face, so this mission is a bit harder than it should be...

Also, all of the information room and hangar profiles are unlocked from the start. That's really lame, since you can read the entire story beforehand, learn about characters before you should, stuff like that.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually they throw em in n64 too in infiltration and nbombs in pelagic. Only levels as far as I know. Its odd because Ge it was a huge part but not pd.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The guards in the A51 - Infiltration hangar definitely throw grenades on at least version 1.1 of the N64 original. Last time I played it, I nearly died because of one of them. And you're right, they do blow up ridiculously fast. It's almost like an impact explosion when they use them. Area 51 is really the only set of missions where I can remember hand grenades being tossed by guards.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now that's strange because I've never seen a guard in PD throw a grenade and the only mission I remember guards with N-Bombs (renamed N-Grenades in this version for some reason) in is Mr. Blonde's Revenge.

00Dark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've definitely witnessed guards throw grenades at me in Infiltration at the very beginning helipad and they've also thrown them by the comms antenna.

Dragonsbrethren: My gamertag is D1arrheabed1s. Add me for some PD XBLA matches! Smile

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Guard's throw grenades like no ones friggin' business in Infiltration. Especially on Perfect Agent, your screwed there. I speed run on the Xbox, and I was doing a speed run for Perfect Agent, killed 5 - 7 times in a row from grenades. Obviously I was pretty frustrated.

CharAznable0
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One thing that looks good in this XBLA version is the frame rate, a solid 60 from what I can see.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Also, all of the information room and hangar profiles are unlocked from the start. That's really lame, since you can read the entire story beforehand, learn about characters before you should, stuff like that.

I think this is because the game doesn't come with a manual, so that new players can read about the game if they wish before they play.

What annoyed me was the fact that every multipler level/characters were unlocked from the start. Knowing that you have unlocked everything by playing the game to the best of your abilities is what made the original fun.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, the game does sort of have a manual accessible from the main menu. It explains some of the basics and has options to get the same information that's on those PCs. The strange thing is that menu only shows what you should have available instead of everything. I really think the PCs were an oversight.

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
N-Bombs (renamed N-Grenades in this version for some reason)

It might seem strange, but there is a good reason. The term "N-bomb" is a common euphemism for a certain racist term beginning with the letter 'n'. Of course, we know the 'n' in PD's N-bomb stands for neutron (or neuron, was that ever clarified?), but the casual observer could get the wrong idea.

Kode-Z wrote:
What annoyed me was the fact that every multipler level/characters were unlocked from the start. Knowing that you have unlocked everything by playing the game to the best of your abilities is what made the original fun.

I agree, to an extent. Having the characters and levels locked could have caused issues with online play-- if a player only has a couple arenas unlocked, no one would join his game. Would that player be able to join games playing other maps, or would they be hidden until he unlocked them? What if someone's using a character skin he hasn't unlocked yet? Many people just want to play with their buddies, don't want to waste time playing the challenges to unlock all that stuff.

Besides, for true completionists, the XBLA version records your completion percentage, up to 201%.

Interestingly, by default you start with a limited selection of weapons in the combat simulator; exactly what is needed for the Pistols, Automatics, Power, Rocket Launcher, Close Combat, and all Classic weapon sets. I imagine if you had started with all the weapons, it would have made the firing range progression somewhat uneven. Completing challenges lets you use more sims- you start with four and move up to eight. Hard, Perfect, and Dark sims must still be unlocked, but all special types are available from the start.

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Actually, the game does sort of have a manual accessible from the main menu. It explains some of the basics and has options to get the same information that's on those PCs. The strange thing is that menu only shows what you should have available instead of everything. I really think the PCs were an oversight.

Yep, XBLA games are required to have a help menu. PD's is actually one of the better ones, most games just give a paragraph of back story and a picture of the control layout. PD's is an adaptation of the N64 version's manual. The chapters use the same names, and the "Basic Weapons" are presented in the exact same order. Naturally, info about Xbox Live play and the new menus has been added.

I'm inclined to agree that the PC's are an oversight. What's worse is that it isn't just the profiles or brief level descriptions; the entire plot is available to you from the moment you start up the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: