ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye:X Release 4 will be Backup Compatible!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: GoldenEye:X Release 4 will be Backup Compatible! Reply with quote Back to top

I have very, very exciting news. The next version of GoldenEye:X, which will be released sometime in July, WILL BE BACKUP DEVICE COMPATIBLE, ie run on the real N64. This also was a concerted effort since Marshall's 64drive should be coming out soon, and Everdrive 64 just came out.

This fix for the next release was made by possible by Zoinkity, who discovered and found a solution to the problem that escaped us all. So everyone can thank Zoinkity for discovering how to fix it! I coded up a conversion for all of our current ports, although I don't want to trivialize that either.

I must say...this is amazing on console. Combined with huge amounts of gun fixes, a complete GoldenEye multi complement, and way more, DO NOT miss the next release!

Last edited by SubDrag on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone give both SubDrag and Zoinkity a big thank you for getting this thing running on console without crashing after ten seconds of playing any level. If it weren't for these two guys, it'd only have been truly playable via emulation. And really, that just wasn't good enough for a project that has such promise. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I have very, very exciting news. The next version of GoldenEye:X, which will be released sometime in July, WILL BE BACKUP DEVICE COMPATIBLE, ie run on the real N64. This also was a concerted effort since Marshall's 64drive should be coming out soon, and Everdrive 64 just came out.

This fix for the next release was made by possible by Zoinkity, who discovered and found a solution to the problem that escaped us all. So everyone can thank Zoinkity for discovering how to fix it! I coded up a conversion for all of our current ports, although I don't want to trivialize that either.

I must say...this is amazing on console. Combined with huge amounts of gun fixes, a complete GoldenEye multi complement, and way more, DO NOT miss the next release!

Well done Subdrag and Zoinkity. You two have just made histry on goldeneye hacking.

*Claping*

Lol but yea this is insane and now i must get that back up device and play it for my self.

THANK YOU!

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is great news, thank you so much guys for fixing this problem, ive wanted to play GE:X on console ever since the first release Very Happy
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very impressive! Well done!

Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yay this is great news... oh err I forgot... Im PAL...

Trev

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is just fantastic!

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:
Well done Subdrag and Zoinkity. You two have just made histry on goldeneye hacking.

Just now?
whimper...

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Damn! Beautiful. Nice job!

Quote:
Just now?
whimper...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: GoldenEye:X Release 4 will be Backup Compatible! Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
This also was a concerted effort since Marshall's 64drive should be coming out soon, and Everdrive 64 just came out.

Just had a look at both of these devices, wich is the best one for playing GoldenEye: X NTSC on a PAL system?

00Dark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

THANK YOU! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm going to get a backup device sometime, but I don't have the money right now. I think I'm going to get the one that Radorn most recommends me to buy. Smile

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

00action:
I don't know if others have this or plan to add it, but the 64drive has Os_Tv_Type spoofing.
Os_Tv_Type is a variable in the N64 OS (part of the official N64 SDK so all licensed games use it) that reads a certain address in N64's RAM wich stores a value that is previously set by the N64 firmware during the boot process, before the cartridge is even read, by the PIF chip (security and peripheral handling).
This address/variable can contain 3 possible values that correspond to NTSC, PAL and MPAL. While the initial purpose of this was just to tell the game what video mode is should set, so you could properly see the picture in your TV (which was likely to match that of your N64, unless you imported), is also used by many games as a means of region protection.
Region protected NTSC games will only accept NTSC and MPAL values in order to run at 59.94Hz (NTSC) or 60Hz (MPAL). MPAL, by the way, is the analog TV system in brazil, and nintendo politics, specified in the SDK documentation, specify that all NTSC games should accept the MPAL Os_Tv_Type and set the proper video mode for it in addition to NTSC.

The fun thing about Os_Tv_Type is that it's set once by the firmware during boot and never touched again until you power cycle the console.
Since the 64drive uses a menu that loads before you run a ROM, it can set Os_Tv_Type to any value you need.
Thanks to this, you can make your PAL N64 look like an NTSC one to your PD ROM

Technically this shouldn't be any hard to make for any N64 ROM emulator device (that's what flashcarts and backup units, do, EMULATE THE ROM, as opposed to emulating the N64 console, like project64, mupen, etc do) given that it has some menu or loader that runs before the ROM to change the os_tv_type, but so far the only one that I know that has it is the 64drive.

You can run it with devices that don't do the spoofing too, but there is extra patching of the ROM involved in order to fix the region check. You need PC tools PALadin and rn64crc.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Everdrive64 does have the serious price advantage, plus doesn't require gutting a cart to use. Compatibility though will be a series issue with both devices.

Incidentally, bootcode region locking is little more than a loop if the value is wrong. It is so easy to subvert it isn't funny.

The problem with both devices, however, is neither supports FLASHram. It may seem silly since many games can be modified to use SRAM instead, but that presuposes you only need half the FLASHram size. Any game that uses more than half will act unpredictably when loading saved data.
All things concidered, it would have been more feasible to support FLASHram and upgrade SRAM. Naturally, this all presumes that the PI IO settings don't require alteration.

radorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity, you are wrong my friend.
the everdrive does cannibalize carts for CICs and cases, like the 64drive. The lowest price listed is for a bare board which you can't use until you at least solder a CIC to it.
price varies whether you buy it with case + cic or not, and also there are options for including the usb interface or not.
Plus ed64's maker doesn't even plan to support FlashRAM save type, and it can only use a 6102/7101 CIC, so good luck playing games like Banjo Tooie or Jet Fore Gemini, which use CIC 6105/7105's extra "security".

In fact, I just read that there might be a problem with PD too according to this:

http://emuconsoleexploitnews.blogspot.com/2011/06/everdrive-64-released.html

seems like ED64's boot emulation isn't all that great and you need an old cracked version of PD to be able to play... Somehow I think this could be a problem for PD hacks, as the hack is not implemented in the editor (and may not be easily implementable at all).

I mantain my recommendation for the 64drive.
yes, ED is cheaper, but not all that much, you are still going to pay more than 150USD for a COMPLETE (case, CIC, USB) kit + shipping, and still face uncertainty about compatibility, not to mention it load ROMs a lot slower.
For me, the extra 50 or so are worth it because you get a more robust product.

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanx for all the info guys Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: