ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

It's Challenging...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Almost need a hedge maze mission similar to From Russia With Love

What was the movie where Connery failed a practise mission? We need that in there as something!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like assignments!

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Assignments sounds great now that I think of it. Can't wait!!

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I always wished that Perfect Dark had more than thirty challenges, preferably a lot more. The N64 game Turok: Rage Wars (which I thought was very over-rated) had one fantastic feature, and that was that although it's single player mode was just a series of bot matches (like in Quake 3, and Unreal Tournament), it had a lot of these matches, a full 'tree' of matches, each with different settings. The same idea as PD's challenges, of course, only there were a lot more in Turok :Rage Wars.

I know of course that in PD you could set up any match however you liked, but having them preset and working through them was much better, and so it would have been fantastic to have had more. And if they'd have used some equations to generate the settings then they wouldn't have needed cartridge space for data tables listing the settings, they could have written the settings generation equations in less cartridge space, I imagine.

Done like this, they could have 999 challenges, or 65535, or however many they could get from the various settings.

For example, Goldeneye:X could have cycled game modes (call it a match loop) like so:

Combat
You Only Live Twice
Combat
The Man With the Golden Gun
Combat
The Living Daylights
Combat
License to Kill
Combat

By 'Combat' I mean normal deathmatch, which would be the most frequent, as it's the simplist and the one I think most people are likely to enjoy. After the the final Combat (after License to Kill), then the next match would be a Combat, then after that You Only Live Twice, as the gametypes would perpetually loop.

And the contents of each weapon slot would be decided by an equation which would depend on the number of the challenge (or assignment, or whatever you want to call them), and the levels (Basement, Archives, Bunker, etc) would cycle in order, and the number and skills of the sims would increase as the number of each individual challenge is increased, so that challenge 1 would be Combat, be set in the level that's first in the order of levels, and would be against one sim, who's of the lowest skill level. The next challenge would be You Only Live twice, in the next level, with different weapons (according to the equation, which now takes 2 as it's seed, since this is challenge 2). Perhaps the number and skill of the bot(s) should remain the same for all challenges in each gametype loop, and only change (for the harder) when the player restarts the loop (i.e.
plays Combat, then You Only Live Twice, where the first match, Combat, is the start of the loop). The level loop does not reset when the match loop
starts again, of course, as we want any given match in a game loop to be played in a different level, so that, say, the first "The Man With the Golden Gun" match, challenge 4, might be on level Caves (assuming Caves is level number 4), and the second game of "The Man With the Golden Gun", challenge 9 would be on Complex (if Complex were level 9), challenge 10 (the first of the second loop, so it's Combat) would be on Facility (if Facility were level 10), challenge 11 (number two on the second loop, so it's You Only Live Twice, would be on Egyptian. Then the level loop would begin again (assuming there's only eleven levels), so challenge 12 would be on level 1 (whatever level 1 is), challenge 13 would be on level 2, and challenge 14 would be on level 3, etc.

This system would make it possible to generate lots of challenges, though of course it wouldn't allow for manually designed ones. Perhaps you could two trees - 'Assignments' for the manually designed challenges, and 'Training' for the equation generated challenges (which would presumably vastly outnumber the 'Assignments').

Apologies if what I'm suggesting is unclear or not possible. I just always wished PD had more challenges, and I'd really like to see Goldeneye:X support them, especially in greater numbers.

By the way, would you be able to play the PD levels in these challenges? And how about GE and PD's single player levels? They'd be brilliant in multiplayer with properly defined item placements and player spawn points.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What a good idea! I loved "From Russia with Love"!

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"What was the movie where Connery failed a practise mission?"

That would be Never Say Never Again would it not.

heh, I like ideas for challenge however I don't think it would work unless someone actually coded it in PD...

heh, single player challenges would be cool (using single player maps) it would give the levels more re-play value. Problem is that challenges allow up to 4 players so would be very slow...

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I still think it'd be cool if you could have uneven score limits, allowing players to go up against (and win against) lots of weaker opponents. It's the sort of thing that makes cooperative gaming more enjoyable due to the "environment dynamic" of players competeing more for the highest score that trying to fight against superior computerized opponents.

The Survivial mode in Modern Warfare 3 is pretty cool too, but it gets old quickly.

I can't think of how something like the above two examples would be encoded.

GhettoGangsta
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

The "Challenge" related text is spread out across four different text files. I don't think I missed anything, but it's possible something is still hanging around.

Should the thing say "Challenges" or "Assignments"? Because my GE: X says Challenges whenever I go to it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's been quite a few updates and changes made since the latest public release (patch 4a), and the renaming of "Challenges" to "Assignments" is one of them. All 30 have been setup and tested. Some still need fine tuning, but many of them seemed to work quite well.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

GhettoGangsta
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So the challenges are already set in place? If not, then I have some challenges.

Survival Challenge
Player vs 8 NormalSims (Fistsims) Map: Archives
Weapons: PP7, Shotgun, KF7, Phantom, Body Armor, DD44
License to Kill turned ON
No Radar
Mode: King of The Hill
Limits: 5 pts (or 15 minutes)

Final Battle
Player & Natalya (NormalSim) VS Trevelyn (EliteSim) 2 Guards (NormalSim) and Xenia (GreatSim)
Weapons: DD44, KF7, D5K, AR33, PP7, and Silver PP7
Mode: Capture The Flag
Limits: 9 Pts. (or 10 Minutes)
MAP: Complex

Unarmed Combat
Player & EasySim VS 2 NormalSim
Weapons: Slappers Only
Mode: Combat
Limits: 10 Pts. (or 10 minutes)
MAP: Facility

That's all I have for now

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the Assignments have pretty much been sorted out. The original PD Challenges were used as reference, to keep difficulty similar between both games. Only a few require some tweaking (sim count / difficulty) in order for the first version to be complete. They may see some adjustments in the future, once we gather feedback from players.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: