ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye Maps vs Perfect Dark Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye Maps vs Perfect Dark Maps Reply with quote Back to top

Which one do you like better? I feel like the single player maps (and multi player, really) aren't enjoyable like the GE ones are. They are too cramped for me. I like the wide open spaces of GE and upbeat soundtrack. I also like the brighter environments.

Anyone else feel this way?

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I adore GE's multiplayer maps and some single player ones. PD has great maps too, but they tend to be overlooked frequently. Personally, I like the GE maps better, but it really is only slightly. I know the GE maps a lot better too, I can only truly memorize a handful of PD's.

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes, the multi PD maps are more confusing. I feel like they are too maze- or labyrinth-oriented. even as a child I was critical of how many hallways they consisted of.

I kind of feel like they were made quickly and without much thought.

I wonder why they didn't just use the single player maps. I feel like chicago, G5, Air Force One, Area 51, you name it, would have been much better than the dedicated multi maps they provided us.

Warehouse is of course a great exception.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, GE was designed from the movie, PD had to be completely thought up.

I like both. I prefer complicated maps with lots of places to explore, after all what else do you do after completing the mission 10 times over.

I would prefer jungle to have had more paths.

The only thing Id say is that PD seems to be too colourfull. The wooden doors are too red and vibrant. (I could turn the colour down on my TV but not on the pc)

I do however prefer the Complex and temple from PD and GE's facility.
I don't really play any other PD multi map. (I suppose that means any considering Complex and temple are from GE)

Trev

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes! I agree with your statement about PD. I feel like not only are the colors less professional, but the models too. I think the gun models in GE actually look more well made. Compare the DD44 in both games, for instance. Even as a kid, my mind knew there was something wrong with the GE weapons when they returned in PD.

They lost a lot of team members during the development of PD, and I think it shows. Now that isn't to say that a million other details aren't better than GE's, but there were definitely some elements of professionalism and good game design that weren't carried over into PD, which shows that they lost some good men.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The main reason why none of the mission maps appear in Combat Simulator is directly caused by Lo-Resolution mode. For players who did not own an Expansion Pak, they had very little access to the actual game. The vast majority of the levels used in missions are resource hungry. They use a lot of textures, as well as interactive lighting. Lo-Res mode simply can't load most of them, and the game hangs. That's why a huge map like Area 51 - which did have screenshots of it being played in CS - was taken out before the release. An option to have made some maps available in Hi-Res, but not in Lo-Res, may have helped that.

I far prefer the stages in GoldenEye, both in multiplayer and the mission campaign. I liked some of the ideas they implemented in the Classic maps for PD, but didn't care for the new colour schemes or texturing. The layout of PD's maps can also be confusing. There's probably a handful that I'm still not totally familiar with.

Perfect Dark did make a lot of technological leaps, though. Their lighting system, clipping format, voice overs, weather elements, co-op / counter-op, training center, etc. But even though it may be a 'better' game, it was never as much fun as GoldenEye.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

sumbodyshero
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Couldn't have said it better, Wreck. I completely agree.

I had never thought about the Expansion Pak as the reason for the dedicated Multi maps; it makes a lot of sense. I was pretty disappointed as a kid that such great maps went to waste as solo only.

In GE we got at least some crossovers, but in reality, there were a lot of wasted solo maps in that game as well. Depot and Statue would have been the two best multi maps in the game, if you ask me!

I know that the reason for that was probably the size of some of those maps, and also the fact that multiplayer was a last minute affair for Rare.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well if Im not mistaken, the classic weapons still in PD ARE the original weapons...

And I think that PD is FAR more detailed in every sense than GE.

What I meant was GE used more grey (walls, doors etc). The guards are too green though, so GE has its share of over-colour too.

Colour is one of these things that gives CG away.

Modern games are starting to get to gripps with it, though some are over the top on brightness (though this could have been my friends TV)

I agree that CS should have had a lot more Expansion Pak only options, like more sims etc.

Trev

acceptable67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've always found PD the better game. It contains all of my childhood memories and it makes me sad looking back at it how much fun I had then, and how much I don't have now.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
I've always found PD the better game. It contains all of my childhood memories and it makes me sad looking back at it how much fun I had then, and how much I don't have now.

Agreed, I LOVED PD and I still do, I enjoy it more then GE and it goes without saying that I love Ge as well

Drache
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I find levels from both PD & GE are outstanding and very well designed. If I had any personal favorites from PD: Base, Grid, Sewers, Ravine; that includes the GE levels, while they are also favorites.

Two levels from both games I found challenging at first, were large spaced levels such as Egyptian & Skedar. I have become used to taking cover when reloading or taking very heavy fire, so behind a wall or crate. In Skedar, when you take a run through a hall and then comes a maniac DarkSim ahead, survival becomes harder. The same thing I find in a few other Perfect Dark levels like Ruins or Fortress. However, this makes it more convenient for playing with explosives, while one has more room to run around, dancing with grenades.

For myself, it is whatever mood you feel like it; that is what kind of gameplay you wish to play. When I use Kirji's Multiplayer cheats and want to use a Solo Map in Perfect Dark, I find myself playing mostly Skedar Ruins or Carington Villa; I find them very balanced in terms of how much room and cover there is. Thus I find both one level like Carington; very upper-class human culture, thus very beautiful scenery: on the other hand, Skedar Ruins; alien planet, ruins of a destroyed parameter, battlefield, three suns? quiet cool! I have a hard time finding Perfect Dark levels boring to say. I remember playing Goldeneye so often and then getting Perfect Dark as a gift. It's likeness to Goldeneye and it's very futuristic re-approach of the maps and guns is what made me very inspired and love the game.

If I may now mention two favorites on Goldeneye; Caverns & Frigate. Very Happy

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As soon as I got it I came to the conclusion that while its engine was vastly superior, PD's level design really made the game inferior to GE. There are only a handful of single player maps I like and only one non-GE multi map (Grid).

oldyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Olllo here:

it is too bad that technical flamboyantry
(making simple multi levels so non-users of the expansion pack would play combat sim)
is the main horrible cause that none of the single player levels made it- Mad

I had bought the expansion pack precisely to play PD-
and the crumy multi maps are the most disappointing thing about the game-

The main reason playing goldeneye in combat mode is fun , it's because most of its multi levels are known by everyone who played the 1 player mode -
so - every player knows the layouts and thus most of the concentration is focused on kicking each other's butts.
Same reason my least favorite maps in Goldeneye are the ones that have no relation to the single player levels.

Other reason: single player maps have a "realism" aspect to them-
they are designed to look & feel like a real place,
NOT a playground, or paintball course-
i would rather have a shootout at the Louvre than at
Bob's laser tag emporium....

Finally , once again , i feel robbed-
dinamic lights and all pretty effects can be de-activated for multi mode-
there should have been at least 5 single player maps for combat sim players with expansion packs-
AND worst of all the XBLA re-make did not address this horrible lack....

some little justice thanks to subdrag & all of youse and your patches....

Oldyz is Working : shoe shine to the clown elites

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do say Goldeneye had much better muti maps then PerfectDark.

Like Archives. That level was very well made. Even with its cramp box stopping you. I enjoy it so much.

I never laugh so much in my life after seeing a player get stuck and i head shot them right there with my trusty magnum. ^_^

And the complex yet another great level. I was so happy that they port it to PerfectDark. I play that level the most in Perfect Dark.

Now the single player levels. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both have there good and bad.

Goldeneye had one heck of a level set for 20 levels. All well done and everything.

The best levels was Dam and Jungle and my favorite Aztec.

And no one can forget frigate gotta give some love to that level as well the silo.

But then Perfect Dark has some good levels like. Chicago and G5 and Area 51 are lovely levels to me.

But the Perfect Dark did have confusing levels in muti as well. I never had so much problems trying to find my sniper gun i need to camp on the high part of the level for bots and players.

And the levels are so oversize in the maps as well.

But there are bots. So i can see why they made the maps so large.

So yeah Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both have there good and bad or we can say 50% 50% for the most part.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While playing the games back then I had the feeling that the firsts solo levels of both games were better designed than the later (with the exceptions of Control and Skedar ruins).
In GE the nearly perfect levels end with Archives, and in PD I feel like Air Base is the last of them. The rest of the levels have their own cool features but it's like they are too focused on those features; they are played more straight forward... I don't really know how to say it.

Being said that, I felt that in the later PD levels that drop of quality design is less noticeable than in GE. Although my favourite levels are from GE, specially Frigate and Archives (and Bunker 2, Silo, Surface... I love all of those firsts levels except Runway). My favourites in PD are Villa, Chicago, Air Base and the two firsts Datadyne levels (the very first one played in Perfect Agent difficulty).
Also, some of PD missions felt like bigger GE ones. (Facility-Investigation, Train-Air Force One, Surface-Crash site, Frigate-Pellagic 2, Caverns-Deep sea).

For multi levels I do prefer GE maps except Library, Stack, Temple and maybe Caverns. My favourite is Complex.
In PD only Warehouse, Skedar Temple, Grid, Villa and Fortress can compare to GE, in my opinion. The rest are more or less inspired but they are very confusing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: