ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye Maps vs Perfect Dark Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

II defiantly have to say that complex is the best multi map ever. it beats modern games too and I like the subtleties added to the PD version.

Complex, and Temple, are about the only levels Ill play on multiplayer.

Basement can be pretty fun in the pillar room, running between pillars shooting, its a bit like the matrix Smile.

Trev

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As a huuuge fan of PD and GE (my first and second favourite games of all time, respectively), I have to say that I love most maps, single and multi, in both games.

I see what you mean about PD's multiplayer maps being sometimes brightly coloured, but that doesn't bother me. What I do wish, though is (as Oldyx says) that more of PD's mp maps were set in the real world, as 'real' maps are more interesting to explore and play in than arbitary maps. I do think that most of PD's mp levels are well, designed, with the only two I don't much like being Car Park and Fortress.

Car Park feels unfinished to me, somehow. It should have two stairwells that are actually moving (fairly fast) platform based, as the stairwells at present are traps if the enemy has an explosive weapon, and the levels should be staggered, like in real car park, where ramps join each level to the one above and below it.

Fortress, I feel, might well have been better if each of the four upper outside areas was walled off from it's two neighbours, so that (for example) if you were at the top of the green area, then you could only get to the red (or blue or yellow) area by dropping down to the middle area's walkway (or going indoors to the green indoors area), droping down the platform hole, and coming out through the door), then across the walkway (with the deadly drops either side of you), into the door of the area you want to enter, then go up the moving platform, and exit out onto the area you chose. This way, guarding an area would be easier, and invading an area would be much harder, especially if capture the case's case always had it's base on the upper outside area. This way, you could guard your case by sniping at people who were coming at you across the walkway (the only way they could go from their base to yours), and finally there's be a mp PD map where the sniper rifle was worth having.

I was very pleased (who wasn't?) when Rare not only included three GE maps in PD, but picked three of the very best, although I'd have really liked Egyptian, too.

Wreck, I didn't know that about why no PD single player maps were in multiplayer, it explains a lot. I could never see why levels such as the Carrington Institute, Chicago Streets, and Crash Site weren't available for deatmatch. With some alterations, the Datadyne Tower would be a *fantastic* level (the roof, the two floors below, and the bottom of that bloor would have two stairways down to the life (elevator) platform and stairs that lead to the ground floor. That map would be brilliant. And a slightly modified version of the basement (from Datadyne Research - Investigation) would be a brilliant capture the case level, an almost totally straight map with a base at each end.

Will Goldeneye:X ever support all of the PD and GE single player maps with bots, do you think? That would be phenomenally brilliant (if I was rich I'd pay you to make that, seriously). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked Wink

acceptable67

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As a reply to why solo levels weren't in multiplayer; rare already answered this question back in 2001 'Rare Speaks' where users sent in questions to the developers. Obviously as we would of all guessed, the level's were much to big. I believe it, too. Having 8 extra-entities on a map the size of the dD Central Building I 'assume' would have lagged the hell out of the console (We don't know because we play our ROMs off our PC, which performs better than the console, so unless someone did a GS cheat for the console...). That doesn't explain smaller maps like Chicago, though.

oldyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ollllo here:

Smaller maps Shcmaller mapsh!

Don't forget that they could have gone the facility/watercaverns/archives route and give us the most important & or iconic sections of what they would have considered the best sections of any of single player levels-

If that had happened, then we could have ended up with the tower's roof,
one third of datadyne's labs, the hangar sections of Carrington institute, the interiors of carrington villa, one half of the air port, tha lab & bathroom/locker room portions of area 51-

whatever the reason, they had one hell of a chance to correct this omissions on the XBLA version , but chose not to.

Oldyz is on the commute - giving some $$eis to bus clowns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: