ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Turok Reverse Engineering Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Turok Reverse Engineering Project Reply with quote Back to top

Kaiser wrote:
The Goldeneye hacking community drawn my attention and after lurking for quite some time I've decided to finally post some stuff in regards to my hacking/reverse engineering project for the N64 game, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Since this is a hacking community, I'd figured I share this.

For a few months I've been figuring out the data formats and seeing how they all fit in place as well as reverse engineering the code to see what's going on under the hood. I've gathered enough data to begin recreating the game from scratch for people to enjoy on modern systems with the addition of improvements and other features to further enhance the game. The PC port just doesn't cut it anymore and this is a good opportunity to maybe spark some interest from the Turok community. This engine will also be used for recreating perhaps other N64 games, like Goldeneye for example. Both games seem to share similar mechanics like hierarchical model animations and level collision meshes.

I've been working on a tool to preview models and levels for a while and it's pretty much done however I wrote this tool to support only the PC version. Fortunately, the N64 version's data doesn't differ that much except for a few endian swaps for certain data values, etc.

As far as unused textures or hidden items found in the game, there are none. The game is pretty clean in terms of unused assets...

I'll be posting a download link to this tool for those who are interested once I work out all the kinks.

Oh yeah... screenshots:

Previewing animations for the Campaigner Soldier. This actor has the most animations than any other actor and contains several variations (Poacher, Android, Demon, Shaman, etc) and several attachment variations.

Previewing normals for the T-Rex boss

Previewing a static mesh

Previewing the HUB level and triggered events and collision display

Previewing bounding boxes for various actors

Previewing level 3

Level 3 with collision display

I would LOVE to see this game improved on in multiplayer. I own the pc hack of this but it lacks MAPS and bigger ones at that. The Solo maps in this game would make some EPIC multi maps. Good job on this tool bro and welcome to the community!

P.S. Someone had started on a Jet Force Gemini editor however I don't believe it had multiplayer capability to see the SOLO levels as multiplayer maps. This I believe would be a massive new feel for either GE or Perfect Dark if we could somehow get all of this game and Turok into GE or Perfect Dark. Very Happy MultiplayerX

nfsfan83
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Guys for answers. Like you sure see here:

http://www.moddb.com/members/nfsfan83

I want find some team to remake Turok on Cry Engine 1, but in meanwhile I try to contact with Kaiser or anyone who can create simply editor based on TMDView, who can help my added more objects (trees, palms, bushes, enemies, some cool bridges) to levels map. All objects will be from orginal Cartdata file game. Game will more better, but still all original fun from gameplay Smile

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hello Kaiser:

first if your intention is not to create a Editor for "Turok Dinosaur Hunter" this is for the editor vesion N64 or PC ?. or you just want to see Turok maps in GE or PD ?. anyway any of the ideas are good.

I like Turok game for its graphics, sound and touch of humor that seems to have the game, the controls and gameplay do not like the game much. I've always thought that the maps in this game can benefit if they behave to GEo PD, yet the benefit may be greater if a mod in PD (which of course does not have to be exact) is due to the existence of blood and that some enemies of the race can be disguised Skedar dinosaur and leverage their roaring sound, also in PD we can fall through the depths and Turok, the artificial intelligence of the enemies of PD.

in http://www.moddb.com/members/nfsfan83, I noticed in the fifth picture in which he is a top level is not whether it is 1 or 2 I thought that levels of Turok were bigger and immense, this fifth picture reminds me of the Facility level seen in the GE Editor, especially the distribution of rooms. do not know if those levels and even objects such as weapons and enemies in Turok are extracted in a format to use with the editor of GE, for example OBJ. I say this because there is no way to extract the models from the N64 game Turok saga.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: