ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Trick to lowering the Z buffer compression for dynamic maps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerdzilla
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Trick to lowering the Z buffer compression for dynamic maps. Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I know there are limits to the overclocking for the emulators. At some point you'll take up the 8 mag limit programmed into the game's video memory/ram. But often the first limit is the video processing speed of the N64 (AKA Polygon limit).
One way to get passed this on a PC is to lower the Z buffer compression.

I'm going to show you guys a trick on how to do this, that is simple. Then I'm hoping someone can help me fix a few simple bugs I have.

Before you can do this you'll need to be able to use the Jabo_Direct3D6 plugin with the 1964GE/PD-60fps emulator. So if you can use Direct3D 6 or higher (most likely yes) you should be Okay.

Now here's how to do it : Make sure your in game setting are at low res, it'll also boost frame rate by default. Setup a three player game and kill off other two players. Now you'll notice if your running a map like Kakariko Village your frame rate will be higher then a standard one player game in that map. But it's not worth it when all you have is 1/4 the screen.
To resolve this problem. Go into your Emulator options, go to Video Settings and under ROM setting you'll see emulated height and width. Set the height to 160 and the width to 110. Now you should have full screen.
For two player games it's 160 by 220 for horizontal game play and vertical play is 360 by 110.

The reason this works is because what your doing is lowing the Z compression to use less video memory and video processing with the N64 limits. Well at the same time, the game it self is trying to make the spites run at there lowest polygon rates.
Because your emulator has no limits to resolution it plays and runs within it's own Z compression. It doesn't really matter how small the draw space is. Plus lower polygon rates on spites always equals faster game play.

The only bug is the sounds effects from the other players are still active. The only way around this is to place the other players or player as far away from the action so there sound effects don't come into the gameplay.

What I'm hoping to make is ROM setting to have this as a option for the dynamic maps. Maybe something simple that plays the game in the four screen mode and if you don't load a player, it just shows nothing in there corner.
I'm really hoping (fingers crossed) for help in making this possible for the one player mission mode. So I might try to port a half-life map into the game sense it would give it the boost it needs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: