ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Solid State hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Solid State hard drives Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody here use one?

I talked my boss at school into letting me set up one lab with new computers using a 60gb, Sata III solid state drive as the main drive. Sequential read speed is 525 MB/s and write at 495 MB/s. Scored a 7.2 out of 7.9 on the Windows 7 rating.

I've never seen anything so fast in my life. System boot time is about 10 seconds and login times are around 2-3 seconds.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They are indeed great, but expensive!!!

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Watch out for OCZ. They won't even last more then a year without failing.

radorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

last year I considered getting one for the computer I built, but I ended up with standard disks instead and I don't really feel need for much more speed.
I mean, surely the system would be more reactive, but I don't have such a continuous and intensive to/from disk data traffic to really impact my usage in any significative way. Programs start fast and I don't think shaving off 90% off a 10seconds (max) start time for the heaviest apps would be worth the cost.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

stolen wrote:
Watch out for OCZ. They won't even last more then a year without failing.

I went with Mushkin. Its $80 for a 60gb drive running at almost full Sata III speeds. Went with them over OCZ since they have one of the very few 5-star rated drives on Newegg.

Prices are finally starting to come down AND performance is going up thanks to Sata III.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

radorn wrote:
last year I considered getting one for the computer I built, but I ended up with standard disks instead and I don't really feel need for much more speed.
I mean, surely the system would be more reactive, but I don't have such a continuous and intensive to/from disk data traffic to really impact my usage in any significative way. Programs start fast and I don't think shaving off 90% off a 10seconds (max) start time for the heaviest apps would be worth the cost.

I haven't upgraded to one yet in my personal computer since its fast enough for me and I don't really want to deal with the headache of re-installing Windows. My system is about 4 years old with the same OS installation and re-customizing an install with all the programs I've installed over that time just isn't worth it.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can, if you wanted, use a disk copy program to duplicate your old drive on your new one. Granted, I was only copying an 8GB drive onto a newer disk, but it saved having to muck about reinstalling everything--OS included.

(sorry about the necro.)

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I may use Norton Ghost to copy it.

I convinced my boss at my place of work to build our 100 new computers with SSDs and to upgrade another 100. Next year we will be upgrading our remaining 300.

Their "snappiness" compared to traditional drives, well, there's just no comparison. They even breath new life into computers that are 5-7 years old.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Computer SOS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: