ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mysteries of Perfect Dark
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rey

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Mysteries of Perfect Dark Reply with quote Back to top

Dont know if anyone knows about this but.This were i knew all about PD.I did solve a few of them also i solved some that are not solved there.Iv also discovered very interesting things.
http://gepdhq.tripod.com/perfectdarkhq/mysteries.htm

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love that site, been on it many times

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Reminds me of Yamoslair.

I have almost - if not - all the answers to the unsolved ones. I've been studying PD mysteries/secrets/beta for ages.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

reminds me of detstar, good site though

Simdrew1993
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting, I haven't seen that site before, thanks for sharing. It kinda reminds me of Detstar and Yamoslair too.

Rey

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
Reminds me of Yamoslair.

I have almost - if not - all the answers to the unsolved ones. I've been studying PD mysteries/secrets/beta for ages.
Haha yeah yeah,same iv solved alot but i never bothered to post there.Well i have before,but no recently.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
Reminds me of Yamoslair.

Same, I even e-mailed the dude once with a solved mystery, he never replied though :/

acceptable67

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PaRaDoX wrote:
acceptable67 wrote:
Reminds me of Yamoslair.

Same, I even e-mailed the dude once with a solved mystery, he never replied though :/

Judging the age of the site by the layout, I don't think you'll be getting a reply anytime soon.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
Reminds me of Yamoslair.

You mean http://web.archive.org/web/20060512143238/http://www.yamoslair.com/mystery.html ? That's a fantastic site for PD mysteries.

Quote:

Could you post them here, please? It would make very interesting reading for us PD-fanatics (and it doesn't look like Rare are going to break their silence any time soon on the subject). Ray and PaRaDoX please post too, I'd love to learn the answers to PD's mysteries, and also discover more of the games mysterious and idiosyncrasies.

Rey

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thats the same site its just set differently.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
acceptable67 wrote:
Reminds me of Yamoslair.

You mean http://web.archive.org/web/20060512143238/http://www.yamoslair.com/mystery.html ? That's a fantastic site for PD mysteries.

Quote:

Could you post them here, please? It would make very interesting reading for us PD-fanatics (and it doesn't look like Rare are going to break their silence any time soon on the subject). Ray and PaRaDoX please post too, I'd love to learn the answers to PD's mysteries, and also discver more of the games mysterious and idiosyncrasies.

Yes.

I'll just take my time to go down this list... Uhm, first from http://gepdhq.tripod.com/.

DarkFile #00001 - Multiplayer mysteries

It's not really a mystery or anything really important. In this case they are discussing ammo boxes. It's most likely early in development they had made the area accessible but decided to scrap it later in development for some other reason. The reason you see so many of these is, the Rare Development Team didn't have a visual editor; they had literally: pure code. Everything was positioned by coordinates. I'm sure they don't want to go through all their C files just to delete a few ammo boxes when they can just put a nice little grate over it and call it a day. I don't blame them.

DarkFile #00003 - Useless control tower

Not too interesting but yeah, whatever. Uhm, it's simply a viewing post for the player; nothing significant or special about the room. Nothing mysterious about it.

DarkFile #00004 - Useless room in Pelagic II

Same as above, but for some reason I get an urge to think that there may have been plans for something in there but was never implemented. Just a useless room that plays no roll in the game.

DarkFile #00005 - Miss match with Heads and Bodies

Character elements? Hm. I did write up an entire article about the Perfect Head/Gameboy function on my site, and will post it here.

Quote:
To start this off we will discuss the Beta PerfectHead. What this feature was, is that it let you hook up a Game Boy camera and an N64 Transfer pack to take images of you, or peoples faces in general in Combat Simulator and be able to paste them on a simulants body; therefore having your face or your friends on a simulant body in the game.
Ken Lobb, a developer and the man behind the gun 'Klobb', demonstrated this function.

[insert photos here]

Once the photo of the person was taken, you had to level the brightness, similar to the modules for the audio, and position the head the way you want it. The head would automatically change skin colour depending on what body you put it on.

This PerfectHead feature was inevitably taken out due to the fact that you could place, per se, your real life enemy on the simulant and start shooting them. Or place people you don't like on the sims and plan dangerous things; supposedly school shootings were a big thing in the US at the time.

Heads could of also have been able to be used in Solo/Co-Op/Counter.

DarkFile #00006 - Useless passwords

Originally used to access sites such as carringtoninstitute.com or datadyne.com, but the sites never had the function implemented which was pretty ridiculous in my opinion. In my PD fan site I allowed a login of the two usernames/passwords. I'm the only site to have the functionality to date.

PD MultiFile #00002 - Grid

Inoperable elevator is simply decoration. I know there are some glitches to get through it but it will simply lead you to a nice, black screen then inevitable death.

Institute Door

You know, the locked door on the balcony that you can never access or open? Same thing as above.

Now some from Yamos (I think he covers a lot more)

To start off: Mysterious Text in the RAM.. Ooooo Mysterious. Not.

They used Golden-eye's engine. What I mean is - they literally copied the entire source and made a new project and called it Perfect Dark then made their tweaks. There may have been some bits in the code that were left. The text you see in the RAM may never popup or show in the game, nor have any significance.

LIGHTS NOW OFF and LIGHTS NOW ON were part of the Beta PD between 1998 and 1999. Used in Defection/Extraction/Blondes Revenge. Hit the light switch on the floor when you enter the large room from the helipad.

Unsolved Mystery #7: Area 51's secret vents and keyhole.

Rare wanted to be sneaky and add something ridiculous in (probably to see the peoples reactions later in the years and have a good laugh from it). Obviously if the keyhole is so far in the wall a player can't access it, it won't play any role in the level.

Unsolved Mystery #8: The secret Skedar

The skedar is standing on a spawn point: he will run out the doors near the end of the level. Once he dies, another one spawns in his position. This is basically the same as the hidden guards in the floors, except the Skedar is visible.

Unsolved Mystery #11: A certain something.

This one still makes me wonder, but I think I have an answer. The Crystals in Attack Ship and Skedar Ruins were labeled as weapons but had no significance. Why they were labeled as a piece of equipment is beyond me. That's why you get the "Picked up Something" message when you go and "pick up" the crystals.

Unsolved Mystery #12: Another double agent?

This one will boggle your head but I have a full complete answer for it. This second Agent that you sometimes see shooting at the guards running out of the door in the end of A51: Infiltration is supposed to make the player think that Jonathan is shooting. I guess Rare never anticipated for speed runs because you have to speed up to get a glimpse at him. The gunfire from the magnum is supposed to make the user think that Jonathan is there shooting at the guards and is on your side, but you're not supposed to see him. The reason for this is because Jonathan is a set model in the game, located inside the building near the elevators, and can't be moved and is strictly set for the cut-scene only.

Unsolved Mystery #14: Ghost Story

Guards have a tendency to spawn throughout the level. I know this because some times I leave my PD and go on the computer or what not, and thinking I have killed all the guards I really haven't, and I see one shooting at me. So basically:

1. You think you killed all the guards or haven't, and after a period of time they eventually run after you

2. The guard spawned from a spawn point (which is frequent)

Unsolved Mystery #18: Where everybody knows your name.

Rare said a conference was originally going to be held in here, but I'm pretty sure 90% of the people viewing this building completely ignore the fact that there is a STRIPPER POLE dead center on the table.

A "meeting".... PFFFF.

Unsolved Mystery #21: Deep Sea dead man walking.

Rare had a history of linking guns to guards for some reason. Same thing applies to the A51 guard w/ the Rocket Launcher on the helipad. I don't know why they did this and don't have a fixed explanation for it.

Unsolved Mystery 31: Deep Sea's hidden glass.

You know at the end, when all the explosions happen? You hear glass breaking?

That should give you the gist of it.

Walls aren't made out of glass, so they thought cleverly to paste them all over the level.

Unsolved Mystery 32: The Skedar beta level.

DragonsBretheren found this one (I have no idea how, is it present in one of the setups?) and is strictly just a test level.

Rey

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well some of those yes and i little bit of no.For some reason im unabled to find the other section of the sites Mysteries but.One the Skedar on the attack ship level he sometimes glitches out of the door and shoots you.That skedar is used for 2 things,the cutscene and as you said the spawn.One thing is on that same level,there is another Alien there.Whats funny is when you reach him,elvis just goes and shoots him till hes dead.Iv still havent figured that one out yet.On the deep sea glass,i never noticed,gonna have to later look.And remember the way to the alien.On the beta level i dont remember seeing it,have any pics or anything of it?

Rey

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing that bothers me alot is the hidden parts of the levels.I know on the bottom were carol is in deep sea theres glass,but i cant see it.And the plant waaaaay the hell in the back of the air force one.It can be seen with the horrizan scanner and the sniper.Oh yeh,the room at pelegic.I always think that its a spawn point of some sorts.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that, Acceptable67, very interesting. Your answers for Unsolved Mystery #12: Another double agent?, and Unsolved Mystery 31: Deep Sea's hidden glass I find especially interesting, as now you've said their explanations they seem so obvious (and I can't doubt that they are right), but the explanations never occured to me (or anyone else, from what I've read).

One thing I've always wondered about involves the way you can exit the dataDyne building's front lobby (and die!), the way so much of the city exists in memroy (as bitmapped building exteriors, I mean), the fact that the hover-bike serves very little actual purpose in the game, the fact that you have two game levels using the same level setting so early in the game (DataDyne Central: Defection, and DataDyne Central Extraction) when to many people it might seem like lazy game design, and the fact that the end cutscene for DataDyne Central Extraction is so rubbish (the way all of the (presumably very well trained) guards miss Joanna from such a short distance).

What I mean is, it does seem possible that perhaps the third level (where Joanna escapes with Dr. Carroll) might instead have involved them leaving the dataDyne building via the front door, and taking a hover bike and having to fight off enemy bikers/jump ships/whatever. The Hover bike might actually have been meant to fly, and you've have had to fight your way through the buildings (explaining why the city was so detailed) until you got far enough to escape (or be picked up by a friendly craft). It would explain the presence of the enemy jumpship, which (if my surmise is correct) would have destroyed the jumpship that you arrived in, and so you had to find your own way away from the dataDyne building. And maybe Rare abandoned this idea through lack of programming time (the game was very heavily delayed, as we all know), or they realised it wouldn't be much fun, or would be too hard for most players to complete, or decided it was too resource hungry to run at a good frame-rate without making lots of other changes to the game's data formats.

I'm probably wrong about all of this, but the end cutscene for DataDyne Central Extraction just feels so contrived, like Rare made it up on the spot, because they were pushed for time and had to come up with something in a hurry.

The Car Park multiplayer level is something else that always feels unfinished to me, like they were in a rush so never got around to modifying and completing it.

Rey, I agree about how interesting it is to speculate on what the 'strange' things in PD could represent, that 'enemy' (to judge by Elvis's reaction to him) alien especially. How I wish Rare were open about their games, and willing to talk to the fans about them.

Thanks to both of you for the answers.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^your theory about the hoverbike in the city seams totally plausible, I wonder why I haven't thought of it o.o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: