ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Decoding the Wall Data in the GoldenEye 007 Editor Pack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Decoding the Wall Data in the GoldenEye 007 Editor Pack Reply with quote Back to top

I have started a tutorial on how to convert .MAP files to something that can be drawn and interact with objects (basic physics) and I am using my old GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark maps that I extracted from the ROM’s many years ago.

Part 1
Part 2

It got me back in the mood to some converting again so that I would have better-looking end results. I made the converter to Hammer, but out of what I guess is best described as just laziness I didn’t extract the UV coordinates or textures from the GoldenEye 007/Perfect Dark levels.

That was many years ago and I have improved a lot. I want to take another crack at it but this time make the most optimal .MAP file possible, instead of just converting every triangle into solids and merging a few like I did before. And this time I want the proper textures to be part of the .MAP files so we don’t have to fix them up etc.

Instead of starting over from scratching and trying to hack the ROM again I thought it would be easier to just use the files that are included with the GoldeneyeSetupEditorV2.exe tool.

But I am not where all the data I need is.
I found the level data in WallData but those are just vertex buffers.
Where is the data I need to parse them and convert to triangles etc.? Are they processed with display lists, and if so where are they?
Is there a description of the commands necessary to get just the vertices, UV’s, colors, etc.?

If someone can give me just a general overview of the way to load this data, I am sure I can figure out a lot of the rest on my own.

Or:
Would it be easier to just hack it out of the tool during run-time?

Or:
Any chance of getting the source code and a Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Studio 2008 project? Then I can just add a few lines of code to export what I need when it is loaded.

Any help is appreciated and I will release the improved Hammer converter here when it is done. My goal is the fewest number of solids possible for the level geometry and no editing necessary in Hammer to then export to another game.

Thank you,
L. Spiro

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately the editor is closed source. There are also displaylist files in that same directory, and the linking them all together is in main folder such as libraryRoomData.txt

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I will look for them when I get home.
But how about a description of the display list commands?

I have something about BC ?? ?? ?? but that is about it. If I am correct that those were display lists I was viewing a few nights ago, I saw BF ?? ?? ?? being used a lot but no description for it etc.

L. Spiro

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Check Zoinkity's GE Documentation

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I found them in ucode05.txt and I also found the display lists in the same folders as the wall vertices.

The text files seem to tie vertex buffers with display lists, although I am not sure why there are 2 display lists. The second is for transparent items or something?

Last question: Do similar resources exist for Perfect Dark? All the maps exported as such etc. That would make me feel warm inside.

L. Spiro

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well you can make them exist, open up editor in PD, in visual editor, then right click and say export room positions text.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am getting tons of artifacts so I would like to clarify a few points.

#1: What is the meaning of “segment” on opcode 04?
#2: The text files have 3 floats per line preceding the .bin file names which I presumed to be the room positions.
At first I got a jumbled mess of rooms on top of each other so I scaled down the rooms by various factors. 70.0f, 100.0f, none of them make the rooms align properly.
Some end up connecting well at 100.0f but most of them don’t connect logically to any other room. What else is there to positioning the rooms?

L. Spiro

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Use the room centers there and divide coords by scale editor has.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: