ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye N64 Release Dates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: GoldenEye N64 Release Dates? Reply with quote Back to top

This is maybe a strange question, but anyone know the official release dates?

Wikipedia says:
JP 23 August 1997
NA 25 August 1997
EU 25 August 1997

That doesn't sound right at all to me.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd never actually thought about it! I always figured people just measured time in "before Goldeneye" and "after Goldeneye" like the rest of us do quite frankly...

Everywhere on the net seems to state the same date! I might have a sticker on some of the packaging I've got at home which could date it but I'm down the bottom of the world and I'm pretty sure it took ages to make it here.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In Spain GoldenEye was released around November 1997.
I bought the "official" Nintendo magazine and they were reviewing the game in that issue (the previous issue had GoldenEye in the front and said it was going to be released on November).
I'm quite positive it was the same for the other European countries.

GoldenEye being released first in Japan is quite strange too, but possible.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I remember seeing a review of the US version in a summer 97 magazine, so I believed US release date was correct.

Well about Euro, I live in France, and the launch of the N64 was chaotic. It was sold there months after Germany. There were even shop selling the German console for months.
I always had trouble to believe Goldeneye was out before september/october. Never saw it beeing sold before the end of the year, november or something.
So, my memories are the same as Sogun for Euro. But again, France release was the worst. The console came maybe a month before GE, if not at the same time !

Quote:
GoldenEye being released first in Japan is quite strange too, but possible.

Yeah. But there'a detail that makes me doubt about it. If you take a look at this page : http://tinyurl.com/lk4huxa
Search for the part "Intro Camera". They fixed a camera in frigate intro for the Japanese version, compared to US. Doesn't makes that much sens that the first version out had a fix the later release didn't.
Plus, Silo got 3 more intro cameras in for the euro and JP release.

So, I would say US was release first, JP and Euro came after. Can't say about the exact dates. But usually for this kind of titles, Japan is the last served country due to fps not beeing popular.
Last thing that makes the dates unbelievable : Can you give me the name of another game that would have been released worldwide in such a close windows in the 90's, on a Nintendo console ?
Seems wrong dates to me too.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I looked at some of the promotional materials I have, and there was only one thing that featured any dates. The confidential briefing folder, which was "stamped" August 10th, 1997, contains a coupon inside. It states that the game will become available on August 28th, 1997. That's just three days off from the Wiki date. That's only for North America, though. Many other places could have been scattered. I doubt all of Europe got it at the same exact time. Then there's Japan and Brazil. And certain countries had unique boxes and booklets in their native languages, which may have taken additional time to manufacture.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It sure isn't nintendo to launch a game in europe 3 days after US lol

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Japan had a series of bug fixes not present in US but found in PAL. Despite actual release, that codebase was finished second.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Though there almost positively wouldn't be any unique ROMs for them, I do wonder if GE ever saw a very limited released in either Taiwan or Hong Kong. Only a few N64 titles are even known to exist from those locations, however. Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time for both, and (I think) Diddy Kong Racing in Hong Kong. There may be others, but they aren't well documented at all.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: