ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye "postmortem" [UPDATED 9/6/12]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Wow! A beta firing range.

Missed that one! Wow! Would've loved to have seen that! Very Happy

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK I found the source of the picture (he didn't play level):
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=2495&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=office&start=15

Perhaps a google image search of GoldenEye hack brought it up or something.

Although I can't find out how he would've randomly hit that. He must've searched something researching GDC and accidentally came on it.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, do you think he thought it was Archives - which it looks like at a glance? It's probably been years since he has played it and therefore presumed it was from Archives?

Wouldn't hurt to email Hollis? I wonder if he is even aware of any of these mods?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heh well I'd like to hear what he actually said first while this pic was up! Hollis has been pretty sharp every time I hear something from him, I doubt he would mix it up, though it's possible, I was wondering if he was talking about the hack he did at end so he showed this...we gotta find what he said!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure how, but I was able to view it here!
http://gdcvault.com/play/1016460/Classic-Postmortem-GoldenEye

He introduces Mark Edmunds using this Soviet Office picture. He points to the skateboarder and says this is Mark Edmunds. I guess he couldn't find another shot of this screen! Apparently no one in the audience was a true guru because nobody even realized wasn't in real game. I would have to assume Hollis knew and threw us an easter egg.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Look at this one!!!

He says it's a "more modern, reverse engineered image of the silo level, not contemporary". I have a feeling he didn't realize it was from GE Editor, don't know though.

He has a picture of a female moonraker in aztec, heh prob another one from image search using GS code.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just as a note he must know about editing:
https://twitter.com/martinhollis/status/184781000449077248

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Eyes are everywhere.
They know everything.

Of course he knows about the editor silly ;*)
Love the section on humour.

Actually, can anyone copy this before it becomes unavailable?

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is amazing. DB level being put up there for the world to see. He will most certainly be amaze that his level made it up there.

As for this whole thing. Yeah he knows everything about the Goldeneye editor from top to bottom.

And as for Martin Hollis posting a hack level on twitter. Who knows when he will put another Goldeneye level that was made by one of us again. I am really excited if he will do it again.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say, I've done exactly the same silly thing in Bunker II. In MP I'll juggle ammo boxes when nobody is around, and it can be fun to move them around the stage too from one room to another.

-and mines. There's nothing like playing stages with infinite remote mines ;*) The explosions were so well made.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Imagine if Hollis is secretely one of the forum members o.o

stolen
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Actually, can anyone copy this before it becomes unavailable?

I'm currently ripping the RTMP stream, I'll try uploading it to my server later.

Edit: It appears that Martin has referenced another forum image. At 30:34 & 43:37, you can see these two images from this texture project thread.

Edit2: The talk is now free to view for non-members, so I doubt they will pull it down.

Last edited by stolen on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:14 am; edited 2 times in total

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'd still feel better if it was ripped and possibly hosted in that secret bit of space attached to the forums.

I know most of the programmer quotes came from other interviews with them, but it's awesome that it was done from the perspective of the team and how each of them has strange little stories about production.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's funny how some of the features that were added to PD were already thought in the early stages of GE development (cooperative mode, firing range with minigames, enemies picking up guns, bad guys falling from balconies when shot, sparks from computer equipment...)

Karl Hilton: "32x32 rgb; 64x64 int" .... "64x32". I totally understand him! Laughing Textures are probably the most important thing you have to take into account while creating a map.

The multiplayer was the work of geniuses (or magicians as they said). It was secretly added the last month of development and it was the best multiplayer of it's time. Not only that, the only-multi maps were created within that month and some of them are masterpieces unrivaled in design (Complex and Basement, not even PD maps feel as good as these). And even if people doesn't like Caves very much, it's amazing that they could model it with so little time (heh, it only uses one texture).

When Martin Hollis showed the Complex pic it was not only running on an emulator but using hi-res custom textures: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/477138-Map-from-Goldeneye-Perfect-Dark-DM-Complex
I think the red railings are using the original texture. Well, Complex used greyscaled textures (more detailed than coloured ones) so it's true it should look sharp.

Good to see that Hollis knows about the GoldenEye scene. He probably visited these forums too!
I'm very honored that he twitted about my Kakariko map. Now I need to do some original maps and gain some attention. Laughing

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Sogun - I've tweeted this thread towards him, and if you look at the newest registered person, you would of seen he has registered today, but awaiting approval from Wreck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: