ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Alfredo Lamberra
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Sogun and Subdrag,
well Sogun, what if i just want to replace textures, do i need an outside program for that as well? god it looks pretty hard...
and Subdrag, yeah, i did not understand it really, i guess that if understanding textures is hard to me changing a logo will be too difficult.
i will try to do something for both subjects, when i have time!

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For changing textures you only need the Visual Editor. The outside program is to convert custom textures in the approppiate format, so you won't need it.

I'll explain the process to you in more detail. Changing textures has to be one of the easiest things to do in Editor.

A) First of all make sure you have the last beta editor or you won't find some of the feautres I'm going to tell you.
In order to update Editor go to the instalation folder and look for the "BetaGrabberTool.exe" file. Double-click on it and wait some seconds until a warning message appears telling you it has updated (there's a warning beep too). After that double-clik on "runwaysetupeditor.exe" to open the last beta editor (use this file to open Editor from now on).

B) Open the level you want to edit in Visual Editor.
Press 'Edit Objects Mode' three times to make it 'Edit Rooms Position'.
Just to be sure you don't accidentally move any room of the map from its position, press Ctrl+H.
Find a polygon with the texture you want to replace and right-click on it. Select 'Replace triangle/Group Texture/Details' and a new window will open in which you will be able to change textures (left part on the following pic)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GE_Editor_replacing_textures-1.jpg?t=1338249250
You'll notice there are two boxes that say "Current Room only" and "Current tris only", if both are unchecked the textures will change in all map.
If you want to change textures in just a few polys with a texture and leave the other ones with that texture as is, you can select multiple tris with Ctrl and left-click, then be sure to have "Current tris only" checked.

Because GE has so many textures and in the 'Replace triangle/Group Texture/Details' window you can only previsualize one at a time, you can do 'Tools' -> 'Image tools' (wait a few seconds for the a new window to pop up, like the one in the right part of the previous picture). You will see all GE textures at once; select the one you want to know the ID, it will get darker and you can know its ID where it says "Preset XXXX". Then go back to 'Replace triangle/Group Texture/Details' and select that ID.

C) When you have all textures replaced you need to save the project.
Do 'File' -> Save project + rooms'. Write a name for the project and then click on 'Save project to folder' to select the directory where the files will be stored. The base rom is your original GE rom.

D) Now you have to inject the new map in the rom.
In editor do File -> Tools -> 21990 (GE) Modifications. A new window will appear after a few seconds. http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GE_21990_modifications.png
1. Use this in case you need to load a custom rom. You are using the original GE rom this time, so you won't need to use it.
2. Select 'Stage options'. I forgot to put a number, but right below 'Stage options' navigate through the flag and select the spot in which you want you new level to be (in the pic it's 'OC - Egypt'.)
3. This image was for Rey's example so it differs a bit. Those grey rectangles will automatically select the files to replace (4).
Setup and Briefing are the mission files. I've not work with these so I'm not sure what they exactly do.
Background contains all the graphic info of the level, so this is the one you'll have to replace to actually change textures.
Clipping contains the collision info, the places where Bond can walk.
Note that if you are using a different level for the map (like placing a Archives based level in the Dam spot), you'll need to replace at least the setup, background and clipping files for it to work. If you are using the same spot then you only need to replace the desired file.

To change files press the grey rectangle , then press on 'Inject Files and Upd Tables' (5) and navigate to your project folder (the one where you saved the map with replaced textures) and select the file you want to replace (setup.bin for setup, bgfile.bin for background or clipping.bin ofr clipping). That will inject temporary the files in the rom.
6. Click on 'Write ROM with 21990 Mods' and select a ROM to save your changes or create a new one (Don't overwrite the original GE rom!!). Just keep the .ROM extension or it won't work.
7. Just in case a messages pops ups after step 6 saying "there's not enought space. Delete debug data" or something like that, press on 'Delete Debug Data (and J text)" and do step 6 again. That will work.

E) Now you have the map ready for your mission edits. When you have the setup and briefing files ready, load the custom rom with the 21990 Modifications Menu and inject the files there.

As you can see, with the 21990 you can short of Edit the mission order. Names and Images from the selection screen can be changed too with different features in Editor.
Changing names is very easy with Tools -> Text Editor -> Ltitle.bin; just edit the stage names (Digits from 0078 to 0099). Export the file as uncompressed and inject it with the 21990 Modifications menu in your custom rom (select the file to replace in the box marked as 4 in pic).
Changing images can be done with Tools -> Image Tools. Don't forget to load the custom rom before doing any changes. The stage images are almost at the end of rom. Right-click in each of them and save them all (put them names to easily recognize them, like Dam1.bmp, Dam2.bmp and Dam3.bmp). After that, righclick again and use 'Replace Image with RGBA Image (Type 0x00) Tbl 0' to change them. After all changes save the rom again.

To change the logo you need to model it first with a modelling program (Hammer, SoftImage, Deled, Sketchup, Autocad, 3D Studio MAX, Maya...), save it as OBJ file and import it to rom with Tools -> Model Editor. It's not really that hard but you need the model beforehand.

I thinks that's all! Wink

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks sogun Smile
i'll try it today!

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After being away from the scene for some time i have just gotten around to downloading all the new content for GE i am about half way thru patching all the levels and naming all the roms, i have played a few of the newest levels so far and am very impressed.

i have yet to play any of your levels thus far but i am looking forward to ruining thru them soon and i think creating a Special pack would be awesome!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks madmax386, love it when people are intressed in my productions. but don't expect too much from those which are already on the vault. They are very basic, sometimes a bit amateuristic. thanks tough for playing in advance!

oh and sogun, well i guess i already am going in the right direction, because the rom already acted strange: i pressed start for the level, and the FPS began to drop till 3, which means i think too much lag to even start it up.
I think i edited too much or chose a texture that asked too much memory or something like that?
EDIT:
even if i change only a bit of texture,even almost the same, i get the same effect, FPS just goes down...

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The framerate drops are because you probably haven't updated the ROM settings in your emulator.
Every time you edit something in the GE rom the checksum changes and emulators don't recognize the rom, so they make the custom rom to run on default settings which aren't optimized for GE.

For Project64 you need to do the following for a GE rom:
-Load the rom and then, in the emulator menu, go to 'Options' and 'Settings'.
-Select 'Rom settings'. Change to the following for GoldenEye:
CPU Core Style: Recompiler
Self Modifying-Core Type: Change Memory and Cache
Counter Factor: 2
Check marks by: Large Compile Buffer, Register Caching, SP Hack, Use TLB.
-You need to reload the custom ROM for the new settings to work. And everytime you make a change to a rom you'll need to change the settings.

For Perfect Dark you need:
CPU Core Style: Recompiler
Self Modifying-Core Type: Protect Memory
Default Save type: 16Kbit EEPROM
Counter Factor: 2
Check marks by: Large Compile Buffer, Register Caching, Use TLB.

I don't know how you edit rom settings in Mupen. I think you need to update a .ini file but not sure what you have to do.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

aha I see, i already had thought of that but i didn't know how i needed to change settings, so thanks ! Very Happy When I got time and when it works i'll post a pic Very Happy this is a breaktrough for me, and it's thanks to you, thanks sogun! Very Happy
EDIT: right now I am trying to fix it, but having no succes yet, but i know i'll get results if i keep trying.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now when i change the settings like u said my rom even doesn't wants to start anymore, strange mmmh

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well,no texture change yet Smile

it has been a while since I worked on my big 'masterpiece' , think I shouldn't have put so much time in chase for hollis pack...
Anyway, the project is not dead, I'm going to work on it again!
Now, a few people already asked me (when I published the chase for hollis) about putting the missions in the right order in the mission screen.
I can't find a tutorial about this,so
How can I do this, and is it simple enough for me to do?
Thanks in advance! Smile

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey SilverEye, to change the order of levels it's the same as injecting them on the rom as I explained to you before. But now you'll have to inject them in order (Dam, Facility, Runway, etc..). You'll have to be careful to use the same scales, visibilities and sky settings or your levels will have different sizes and skies, hehe.
Sogun wrote:
D) Now you have to inject the new map in the rom.
In editor do File -> Tools -> 21990 (GE) Modifications. A new window will appear after a few seconds. http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GE_21990_modifications.png
1. Use this in case you need to load a custom rom. You are using the original GE rom this time, so you won't need to use it.
2. Select 'Stage options'. I forgot to put a number, but right below 'Stage options' navigate through the flag and select the spot in which you want your new level to be (in the pic it's 'OC - Egypt'.)
3. This image was for Rey's example so it differs a bit. Those grey rectangles will automatically select the files to replace (4).
Setup and Briefing are the mission files. I've not work with these so I'm not sure what they exactly do.
Background contains all the graphic info of the level, so this is the one you'll have to replace to actually change textures.
Clipping contains the collision info, the places where Bond can walk.
Note that if you are using a different level for the map (like placing a Archives based level in the Dam spot), you'll need to replace at least the setup, background and clipping files for it to work (AND update the scale, visibility and sky boxes!). If you are using the same spot then you only need to replace the desired file.

To change files press the grey rectangle , then press on 'Inject Files and Upd Tables' (5) and navigate to your project folder (the one where you saved the map with replaced textures) and select the file you want to replace (setup.bin for setup, bgfile.bin for background or clipping.bin ofr clipping). That will inject temporary the files in the rom.
6. Click on 'Write ROM with 21990 Mods' and select a ROM to save your changes or create a new one (Don't overwrite the original GE rom!!). Just keep the .ROM extension or it won't work.
7. Just in case a messages pops ups after step 6 saying "there's not enought space. Delete debug data" or something like that, press on 'Delete Debug Data (and J text)" and do step 6 again. That will work.

E) Now you have the map ready for your mission edits. When you have the setup and briefing files ready, load the custom rom with the 21990 Modifications Menu and inject the files there.

If your levels have custom textures you'll have to load that rom in the 21990 menu. Do a backup just in case.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks,I'll see if I can get it to work.
oh and I just re-read the previous posts,for a logo,just import a new .obj file? Has it to be really a .obj file and nothing else? And, can you export an already existing model from GE as .obj and use that as an experiment? Thanks!

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well it doesn't seem that hard to find an obj file, but I have really no idea how to put it into the rom and replace the logo with it..

oh and I'll give a small update of the progress:
first level almost done, just needs some problems to be fixed, 2nd one is getting in good shape too. What I wanted to ask, is it normal both surface levels run out of texture memory very quickly, causing the grey garbitch problem?

Rey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SilverEye wrote:
Well it doesn't seem that hard to find an obj file, but I have really no idea how to put it into the rom and replace the logo with it..

oh and I'll give a small update of the progress:
first level almost done, just needs some problems to be fixed, 2nd one is getting in good shape too. What I wanted to ask, is it normal both surface levels run out of texture memory very quickly, causing the grey garbitch problem?

Ha,"Garbitch"

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can even get the Surface missions to encounter graphical issues under normal means. Some weird combination of cheats (paintball, tiny Bond, all guns) could cause your ammo counter and crosshair to get scrambled. Usually only after you blow up a whole bunch of stuff and shoot at things around the level. It also causes your mines to become camouflaged into whatever it is thrown onto. Tossing one onto a fuel barrel adds a way-too-cool texture to it.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well indeed, surface was hell to test, at random moments I encountered the texture problem, annoying...
but, the mission is completed! 2 missions of the are prologue finished now Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: